Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 05:38 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

I’m retired and volunteer. I’m the one offering product and service. Treat me poorly and I’m gone. Happily where I volunteer I am appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:24 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr5150 View Post
i’m retired and volunteer. I’m the one offering product and service. Treat me poorly and i’m gone. Happily where i volunteer i am appreciated.
+1.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:01 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I volunteer in a leadership position for a non-profit. We hope that our volunteers will stick out the year because it affects other people negatively if they do not. They make the commitment to a teenager for a year (it's actually about 10.5 months) and develop a trusting relationship with them. In addition, they make the commitment to submit monthly reports to the organization, who must report to the U.S. Department of State. If they disappear after three or four months, it's not the end of the world, but it means that someone else has to pick up the slack. If someone says they only want to volunteer for a few months, it's not a problem; we would just assign them to a task that doesn't need a year-long commitment.

Be honest with the organization because you will be letting people down if you say you'll do it for a year and then drop out after a few months. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control, so the organization does have a contingency plan, but why put them in that situation on purpose? There are plenty of volunteer opportunities that are more appropriate for a 3-month commitment or an occasional commitment. Look for one of those if that's the amount of time you can contribute.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So, good volunteer options are out there. Don't think you're somehow weird or crazy if you have to try a bunch of them before you find one that's a perfect fit. For some reason, a lot of organizations treat volunteers badly. .
What I've seen is they just don't respect volunteers. They respect the people in paid positions. I used to volunteer for a political campaign and told them I wouldn't go door knocking (I have a limp) and I wouldn't do cold calling. They gave me a lecture that this was a "bad attitude". I don't have to listen to anyone's lectures when they're not paying me. They just wanted to shove the dirty jobs off on someone else.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:51 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
I didn't think volunteering was a real thing in 2018 when you factor in travel and food costs.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What I've seen is they just don't respect volunteers. They respect the people in paid positions. I used to volunteer for a political campaign and told them I wouldn't go door knocking (I have a limp) and I wouldn't do cold calling. They gave me a lecture that this was a "bad attitude". I don't have to listen to anyone's lectures when they're not paying me. They just wanted to shove the dirty jobs off on someone else.
Not surprising. I had offered to volunteer for a political party, and when they discovered that I wasn't totally up on all of the issues and candidates, etc., they completely blew me off. I told them I'd be happy to march in parades, stuff envelopes, call people, etc., but I didn't make the grade.

Silly thing was, I was living somewhere where their party was by far the minority party, and when they marched in local parades there was maybe a half dozen of them. Yet, they preferred their small group to having an outsider join. Totally bizarre.

I did volunteer for a food bank where I drove to pick up food from restaurants to deliver to the food bank, and I liked that I was basically on my own, but could chat with the food bank workers when I delivered the food. It was a Christian organization. I'm agnostic, but had no problem with the organization.

But, one of their staff members took it into her head that she had to convert me, and became somewhat of a scary, creepy stalker. I had to quit when she actually stalked me by waiting in the parking lot for me once and tried to kind of practically kidnap me by nearly trapping me between her and the building. I felt lucky to get away. The really nice organizers begged me not to stop, wanted to have meetings with me and her and staff, etc., and I told them it was just way too much drama. Sorry, but I'm not willing to deal with that.

I have other stories, too. But, people should be aware that there are a lot of really weird and creepy volunteer situations out there. That doesn't mean you shouldn't keep looking for a good one. Just know that if you encounter something that seems completely odd and alien - that you are definitely not the first person who has been in that situation.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:59 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
That’s quite a long commitment for an unpaid position. What if you get another job or something? It’s true about what others say though about being honest. Perhaps this isn’t the best opportunity for you. I’ve noticed lately that a lot of places want so much from unpaid volunteers and forget that people have to work and go to school.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:42 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
And alas, the OP is AWOL -- nowhere to be found.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:35 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Not surprising. I had offered to volunteer for a political party, and when they discovered that I wasn't totally up on all of the issues and candidates, etc., they completely blew me off. I told them I'd be happy to march in parades, stuff envelopes, call people, etc., but I didn't make the grade.

Silly thing was, I was living somewhere where their party was by far the minority party, and when they marched in local parades there was maybe a half dozen of them. Yet, they preferred their small group to having an outsider join. Totally bizarre.

I did volunteer for a food bank where I drove to pick up food from restaurants to deliver to the food bank, and I liked that I was basically on my own, but could chat with the food bank workers when I delivered the food. It was a Christian organization. I'm agnostic, but had no problem with the organization.

But, one of their staff members took it into her head that she had to convert me, and became somewhat of a scary, creepy stalker. I had to quit when she actually stalked me by waiting in the parking lot for me once and tried to kind of practically kidnap me by nearly trapping me between her and the building. I felt lucky to get away. The really nice organizers begged me not to stop, wanted to have meetings with me and her and staff, etc., and I told them it was just way too much drama. Sorry, but I'm not willing to deal with that.

I have other stories, too. But, people should be aware that there are a lot of really weird and creepy volunteer situations out there. That doesn't mean you shouldn't keep looking for a good one. Just know that if you encounter something that seems completely odd and alien - that you are definitely not the first person who has been in that situation.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
And alas, the OP is AWOL -- nowhere to be found.
Just 3 days is enough to be considered AWOL here on these forums!? I typically engage in my own and other threads, but sometimes, work, chores, errands, and out of town trips come up that keep me away from the company for up to over a week at a time. If he's still not back by 2 weeks, then I'd reconsider. Otherwise, we need to ask all OP's for at least a 1 year agree commitment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment