Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:34 PM

314 posts, read 626,062 times

Advertisements

Do employers or hiring managers value continuing education like a college class or two that is mostly relevant to a specific job position? For example taking a class on QuickBooks or Medical Billing Software considering that it relates to the type of office work that the person is applying to?

Last edited by furrypro; 07-21-2018 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 04:52 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Some employers do value education. The last IT company that I worked for had 100% tuition reimbursement. I worked for that company for 28 years and they paid for three of my degrees. The degrees didn't even have to be in the line of the employee's work. It was a nice benefit to have in what was an otherwise loser company.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:02 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Employers value skills. If additional class work gives you that, do it.

But if you can attain the skill by studying on your own that's also a good path. I generally learn new things on my own because formal classes go too slow.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Sure. When I worked at the state, the pay was awful but they had a tuition waiver for state schools for many degree programs (basically anything that wasn’t strictly a professional degree program like law, medicine, MBA... but you could get a MPH, MPA, or other graduate degree that could be helpful for the state). Tons of people took advantage of that program to get undergraduate or graduate degrees. Most universities also have some sort of program as well. One of my friends used his employer’s program to help him get a low-cost graduate degree and now has a high-paying job in management that spun off from his university job.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Yes, in fact so much so that we pay for it. One of the Admins in our Legal department went to law school with tuition assistance and is now one of our attorneys. I have send one of my people to advanced Sharepoint Design training. In our IT department people are going to outside classes all the time to keep up with the latest technology.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:17 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Depends on the company.

Where I am now, no, I don't think it's really rewarded. There would be no benefit to me for getting a graduate degree. My salary wouldn't change. Given low turnover at the manager and above level, there probably isn't anything for me to move up to anyway. Some jobs may require a license, and continuing education may be required as far as maintaining that license goes.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:46 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Some do, some don't. It only matters to what might benefit them and their bottom line. There are too many different companies and variables though to give one definitive answer to this question.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:04 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,131 times
Are you taking the continuing education to get employment or as a part of current employment?

In a job search, your experience is going to matter first, but if you augment your bookkeeping skills by adding Quickbooks software to your tool belt, that will is usually a definite plus. If you are adding these skills, but have no prior experience where the continuing ed would be relevant, then it will be a toss up. You would want to pursue the employers that see the value is your additional skills.

If you are doing this as a part of current employment, most companies will encourage their employees to continue to upgrade their skills. They may even offer to pay for outside continuing education, so long as it is relevant to your current work.

Either way, I wouldn’t want to work anywhere that was against my growth. It’s a detriment to allow yourself to stagnate.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Find a company that offers tuition reimbursement, and a good manager at that company who'll fully support your growth and development. You don't necessarily need both, but both will make it much easier for you.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Good ones do. In fact, I can't think of one bigger signaling factor than an employee who improves on his/her own time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment