Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 10:09 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

I might get a “real” job again soon (I mostly do contacting, run my own businesses, etc.) I am looking to focus more at a regular job at this point. I have an opportunity that I am working on now. I don’t want to wind down my other work until I have an offer. However, it will take some time to wind everything down if I get an offer. I want to stretch out my start date if that happens. The employer does not operate on a fixed schedule like a school and I am not replacing any key employee. I am trying to figure out how much time I can request between the offer and the start date. A typical notice is two weeks. I’d ask for three months if I knew it wouldn’t jeopardize my relationship with the potential employer. I’m hoping I can get six or eight weeks. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it look bad if I asked for that long to wind up work affairs, not like I’m going to Hawaii for three months. I know the potential employer does not have a definitive timeline for this position. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 05:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
...it will take some time to wind everything down if I get an offer.
I want to stretch out my start date if that happens.
You know all those threads about people moving somewhere without a job?
Most of that is rooted in an almost universal expectation that the newly hired
can START almost immediately.

Quote:
I know the potential employer does not have a definitive timeline for this position.
Any advice?
1) Don't assume too much.
2) Hire help to get your work done soonest.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I'm curious as to the last part about the potential employer not having a definitive timeline for the position. Does that mean that if the employer offers a position, that they don't even know themselves when the start date is? That seems kind of odd.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:08 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I got 6 weeks when I changed to my current job but it was with a competitor and I had to give a 3 day notice. We frequently have that happen in my industry so it wasn’t a big deal but for most jobs it would be a no go. I wouldn’t ask for more than 4 weeks.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:50 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
For the most part - it's a negotiation. And most places will somewhat understand your need to wrap things up. The position is also a factor. If you are a C level, it's often expected that it'd be longer before you'd start. Personally, I've gone as much as two months. But it really depends on the new employer's needs. And I would certainly be more cognizant of when they need you. Your soon to be former employer will have to deal with what you can provide. As you pointed out, 2 weeks notice is the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment