Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:00 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,131 times

Advertisements

Nursing schools are rejecting thousands of applicants -- in the middle of a nursing shortage

I want to try nursing school, as a current accounting degree holder. Make $85,000 now, doing IT/finance work, but sick of office politics, long commutes, 5x a week 8-5.

In doing research to nursing schools, you have to have a really high GPA (I have 3.95 undergrad), good test scores (take the "TEAS" exam), good recommendation letters...

Currently, I'm going to see how I do with science prerequisites this summer/fall, and hopefully, be able to try nursing school.

Quote:
Better pay for working nurses is luring current and potential nurse educators away from teaching. The average salary of a nurse practitioner is $97,000 compared to an average salary of $78,575 for a nursing school assistant professor, according to the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.

There's built-in flexibility and mobility. "You can work three 12-hour shifts and get four days off," she said. And nurses aren't locked into a specific location, employer or specialty for the rest of their lives. "There's tremendous growth opportunity," said Kirschling.

But Kirschling said increasing school class size to accommodate more students isn't easy or practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
They aren’t rejecting people for whimsical reasons.

Nursing is a technical subject, requiring not only academic knowledge, but many hours of clinical training. This training must be supervised by qualified instructors.

There aren’t enough instructors, classrooms, instructional labs, or clinical spots at hospitals to support larger nursing classes. It isn’t a simple matter to increase enrollment by 20% or so without severely decreasing the quality of nursing graduates.

This is a systemic problem. Public financing for healthcare and education has been taking cuts for years. Neither the healthcare industry, nor the higher-ed sector, has the resources to rapidly expand training.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:11 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Nursing has always been a field that's difficult to get into. Then the first year of classes are used to weed out those accepted.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
It's not that bad.

I know people have gone into nursing by switching careers and doing the pre-reqs while working full time.

There's still tons of nursing schools compared to medical schools or dental schools, or even engineering schools.

With a 3.95 GPA, you're literally a shoo-in to get in 'somewhere'.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:18 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
The shortage isn't what they say it is. Take a look at the nursing forums where plenty of people have difficulty getting a job. My sister graduated with her BSN and ended up taking a crappy job at a nursing home after months of applying and getting no where.

My field (health care) cries a shortage as well but there are not that many openings. But I guess they figure if they say it enough, people will start to believe it.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:18 AM

902 posts, read 747,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Nursing schools are rejecting thousands of applicants -- in the middle of a nursing shortage

I want to try nursing school, as a current accounting degree holder. Make $85,000 now, doing IT/finance work, but sick of office politics, long commutes, 5x a week 8-5.

In doing research to nursing schools, you have to have a really high GPA (I have 3.95 undergrad), good test scores (take the "TEAS" exam), good recommendation letters...

Currently, I'm going to see how I do with science prerequisites this summer/fall, and hopefully, be able to try nursing school.
LOL good luck. Read allnurses forum, there isn't a 'shortage' of nurses in major metro area(the high pay areas). Think office politics are bad, wait till you learn about NETY. And sure you'll work 3 12's but they will be swing shifts. Girlfriend has been a nurse for 15 years, she got into a coordinator/management position as soon as she could(ie 8-5, weekends off, holidays off schedule)

Old 04-30-2018, 08:21 AM

4,955 posts, read 2,707,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
LOL good luck. Read allnurses forum, there isn't a 'shortage' of nurses in major metro area(the high pay areas). Think office politics are bad, wait till you learn about NETY. And sure you'll work 3 12's but they will be swing shifts. Girlfriend has been a nurse for 15 years, she got into a coordinator/management position as soon as she could(ie 8-5, weekends off, holidays off schedule)
That's right, a nursing career is not the paradise that it is advertised as.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
And sure you'll work 3 12's but they will be swing shifts.
I don't get the hate on 12 hour shifts...

3 days a week = full time, you work 156 days/year, that is fewer days than teachers work even with their "3 months" summer break

swing shift isn't so bad, because on 12 hour shifts, you are so tired after that it doesn't matter if you worked days or nights, you are asleep when you get home anyway

Old 04-30-2018, 08:37 AM

902 posts, read 747,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I don't get the hate on 12 hour shifts...

3 days a week = full time, you work 156 days/year, that is fewer days than teachers work even with their "3 months" summer break

swing shift isn't so bad, because on 12 hour shifts, you are so tired after that it doesn't matter if you worked days or nights, you are asleep when you get home anyway
Shifting between days and nights is not healthy, increases disease(diabetes etc.) and shortens life span. Look into Circadian Rhythm

Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Shifting between days and nights is not healthy, increases disease(diabetes etc.) and shortens life span. Look into Circadian Rhythm
so does stress.... and there is a lot less of it from "politics" at night

people think you'll fall over dead for being up at night? look how many high school/college kids stay up all night for party/homework, you'd think everyone would be died by 25 with how much empathize you put on "night shift" being unhealthy

FYI, people who like night shift have learned to adjust their schedule for it... the "night" shift has no more impact on their circadian rhythm than a "day" shift worker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment