Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:57 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's probably to cover the employer for ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). ADA has some very necessary provisions and it's very important to protect disabled people on the job and many other situations.

However, like any other sweeping law, there is definitely room for someone with less than honest intentions to come in and file (and sometimes win) frivolous lawsuits. This makes the employer (particularly HR and the legal departments if they have them) nervous so write statements in job descriptions that do seem absurd just to protect themselves.
I know. It's just something I always chuckle at. A lot of those are probably to cover themselves legally so that if someone sues they can claim it was listed in the job description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:00 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
"Must be able to sit for extended periods of time" <---always a favorite of mine.
Which is not possible for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That's probably to cover the employer for ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). ADA has some very necessary provisions and it's very important to protect disabled people on the job and many other situations.
Exactly. "Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds" or something similar is likely on the advertisement as well.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:10 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I was reading a clerical job description that described the skils required.

Typing

Adding machine

I admit to a giggle. Wonder if the pay dates back to the 1960’s too!

Typing is *NOT* an outdated skill.

You do realize that information you read on screens or elsewhere still must get on paper or whatever somehow. You know that don't you?

Not every business or government agency has time for someone to "hunt and peck" their way though things either.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:00 PM

279 posts, read 544,529 times
Quote:
"Must be able to sit for extended periods of time" <---always a favorite of mine.
I have had massive blood clots so I cannot sit for longer tha 45 minutes at a time.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:11 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
I know. It's just something I always chuckle at. A lot of those are probably to cover themselves legally so that if someone sues they can claim it was listed in the job description.
The ones I saw were "able to stand for long periods of time" and "reaching, crouching, lifting, kneeling, bending at the waist, reaching overhead...." on and on. Like to be a cashier or hostess, LOL. Of course, all that stocking and janitor work on the side....

Old 08-21-2018, 03:52 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
When I went to Community College, the first day of Statistics an older woman who was obviously returning to school raised her hand and asked the professor how to divide. She said she forgot. You never know

Old 08-21-2018, 04:13 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I was reading a clerical job description that described the skils required.

Typing

Adding machine

I admit to a giggle. Wonder if the pay dates back to the 1960’s too!
As long as we use keyboards, typing will matter. Can't see that going out of use anytime soon. Adding machine? Cool.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:52 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
I find myself chuckling too. I've seen some descriptions that include stooping, crouching, and even fingering.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:35 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
If you're using a keyboard, you're typing. It's the act of entering data, not the machine it's done on. The pace of a modern office still needs speed in typing, even on a keyboard.

Same with adding machine. All our finance people have one. In many cases it's quicker for them to run a tape as a double check than to enter the data in a spreadsheet.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
I can use a slide rule and run the blueprint machine. People still say "the drawing board" and "blue print" though neither has been used in decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment