Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 921,562 times

Advertisements

I can't work out whether or not to leave my job.

The pay is low and the job is highly menial. Management is mostly related so promotions in the department go to friends and family. Managing is day-by-day "putting out fires" instead of real managing. Processes are also outdated and inefficient which makes my skin crawl.

The problem is that people like me. Everyone is always coming to me for advice. My local management will give me extra work to do, and they sometimes meet me personally which is unusual for people on my level. Three months ago they approached me to re-write the company process of my own job. And yesterday I heard there was a furious argument because someone attempted to transfer me to another team.

This is all fun games. But I want money, promotion, work. Leaving would mean starting over again. Fine. I'll get a better wage. Staying here, there's no promises, but there are connections to build. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 02:09 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,166,766 times
Let's assume people like you because you do a great job. You work smart and produce results.

If that is the case, you will presumably do the exact same in any new job, no?

So, it is very likely, then, that people will like and respect you in a new job, too.

Move on, but don't burn bridges.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:53 PM

1,104 posts, read 921,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Let's assume people like you because you do a great job. You work smart and produce results.

If that is the case, you will presumably do the exact same in any new job, no?

So, it is very likely, then, that people will like and respect you in a new job, too.

Move on, but don't burn bridges.
Why move on when people appear to respect me now? Not that any of their respect feels real to be honest.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:01 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,903,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Why move on when people appear to respect me now? Not that any of their respect feels real to be honest.
You are useful. That is the only reason why. They don't like you - Move on!

Old 09-05-2018, 05:41 PM

615 posts, read 668,299 times
I'd stick it out. Ask for a raise. Starting at a new company for a low wage job will put you at the bottom of the seniority list and the extra pay won't be worth it. You won't be special anymore. You won't be favored. Think about that.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 7,215,247 times
If you were really respected, it would show up in the pay. That it isn't should give you a clue. They're just playing you and stringing you along as a discount employee. No wonder they're happy. They're getting more for less.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:04 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,383,407 times
Quote:
I can't work out whether or not to leave my job.

The pay is low and the job is highly menial. Management is mostly related so promotions in the department go to friends and family. Managing is day-by-day "putting out fires" instead of real managing. Processes are also outdated and inefficient which makes my skin crawl.

The problem is that people like me. Everyone is always coming to me for advice. My local management will give me extra work to do, and they sometimes meet me personally which is unusual for people on my level. Three months ago they approached me to re-write the company process of my own job. And yesterday I heard there was a furious argument because someone attempted to transfer me to another team.

This is all fun games. But I want money, promotion, work. Leaving would mean starting over again. Fine. I'll get a better wage. Staying here, there's no promises, but there are connections to build. What do you think?
This doesn't have to be an "either or" choice here. Update your resume, find great references that aren't in management and do a job search. See how you do. You might find that someone else will appreciate you more looking at your experience fresh and give you more money and a promotion. Might even be a more enjoyable place to work. But you won't know until you try. There is no downside to loading your updated resumes to the job websites and applying for positions.

When presented with an offer, then you can decide what you want to do. No harm in looking. After all, employers do this all the time. They post a job, bring people in for first and second rounds of interviews and then don't fill the position for whatever reason.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:06 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,383,407 times
Quote:
Because you might like the job and the company better, get better pay and be considered for higher level positions, and could be hired into a higher level position. Don't assume that you would be trading exactly what you have for exactly the same thing else where. But you must position yourself for the job you want. Explain you are looking for a higher level position and only apply for those.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:03 AM

6,475 posts, read 7,817,714 times
Dip your toe in the water and see what else is out there for you. You don't have to accept any offer (if one comes), just test the water.

Best of luck.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:24 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,334,854 times
You are in a low paying menial job with little chance of advancement, but you want to stay because people like you? Won't people like you at a better paying job with a chance for advancement? If you are satisfied with you lot in life, have at it. If you want more, it sounds like you are going to have to move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment