Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:55 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times

Advertisements

I could never work a job like the OP and sleep well at night knowing I was selling out my fellow citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
I was not saying "If India were to split now". Rather "If it had split into 100 countries instead of 3".
Let me know when you get back from fantasy land.

Quote:
Instead of country quota, the quota should be based on what the US wants diversity in.
Nah, I'm good with the system we have right now. An equal number of green cards per country suits me just fine. I don't think H1Bs should be allowed to apply for green cards anyway.

Quote:
This is not going to happen in the IT space anytime soon in US. For the simple reason because there aren't many corporations investing in training US citizens. In India companies pay recent college graduates for a year or two whey they train them in say ERP or Mainframe or Cloud or server side programming or Web or Mobile or any other technology from the vast IT space.
They don't invest in training us because they're too busy training immigrants on OPT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I observed some of them very angry with President Trump (yelling and table pounding) claiming he better not change their system to increase the wait time.
And here is part of the problem. It's such an entitled mentality..."you better not." Or WHAT? You'll move to Canada? Go ahead, I'll help you pack.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Change of status of visa to H1B visa can take in USA. There is more scruitiny if H1B visa is applied in india, then one goes to US Consulate for visa stamping. Many H1B holders are those who came to USA on some other visa and changed their status here.

1) Suppose a person came to USA on student visa or dependent visa but once in USA, changed the status to H1B. There is less scruitiny in those cases.

2) Sometimes a candidate is coming on a different project (Dummy) which can answer all RFE queries. But after coming here, they are allowed to change client A to client B as well as Location A to Location B. If originally H1B visa was applied for that project, it would have been denied. To circumvent the rules, companies follow this "Dummy project to get visa" route.

3) Countries where H1B visa was granted data is inconsequential. Not everybody has H1B visa stamped on their passport. Visa is only to enter the USA. As long as they dont leave the country, they are legal as long as their status is maintained. As scruitiny is more in india, they go to other countries for stamoing if they intend to leave the US.

Example:- One Indian friend was IT worker. She entered USA on F-2 visa- dependent of her husband who was University student. She had F-2 visa stamped on her passport. Immedietely after entering USA, she filed for H1B visa and became H1B visa holder. To leave the country and re-enter, they need visa stamping. She went to Barbados and got visa stamped there.

USA has little idea how many H1B are there in the country due to so many extensions, change of status, change of location, change of client, one country person entering on some other visa, stamping in some other country or not stamping at all.

Add the hundreds of thousands of spouses getting work permit and students on OPT (many times after BS and then after MS) as well as from those small for-profit shools where first day CPT is given.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:18 AM

30 posts, read 18,100 times
Quote:
This is not going to happen in the IT space anytime soon in US. For the simple reason because there aren't many corporations investing in training US citizens. In India companies pay recent college graduates for a year or two whey they train them in say ERP or Mainframe or Cloud or server side programming or Web or Mobile or any other technology from the vast IT space.
Corporations here, in general, are actually pretty willing to bend over backwards to set up something like that for the whites; everyone else is SOL and has to find another way in.

It will be like this for as long as tech/IT jobs are considered "good" (i.e. relatively high-paying and relatively prestigious).

Last edited by logical10x; 09-18-2018 at 05:27 AM..

Old 09-18-2018, 07:27 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Let me know when you get back from fantasy land.

Nah, I'm good with the system we have right now. An equal number of green cards per country suits me just fine. I don't think H1Bs should be allowed to apply for green cards anyway.

They don't invest in training us because they're too busy training immigrants on OPT.

And here is part of the problem. It's such an entitled mentality..."you better not." Or WHAT? You'll move to Canada? Go ahead, I'll help you pack.
Now the Sillycon Valley mantra is that it takes 12 more chain migrations to support each imported engineer. I suppose they want Americans to clean their house and bathe them also. I hope President Trump limits how long they can stay in the U.S.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Now the Sillycon Valley mantra is that it takes 12 more chain migrations to support each imported engineer. I suppose they want Americans to clean their house and bathe them also. I hope President Trump limits how long they can stay in the U.S.
How can that possibly be? I get by just fine without a personal staff of 12. I can clean my own house and cut my own grass too.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:56 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
How can that possibly be? I get by just fine without a personal staff of 12. I can clean my own house and cut my own grass too.
Yes, the arrogance that it takes 12 more imports to support each single engineer is amazing. Chain migration at its most creative.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You do understand an American is anyone from North or South America, right?

I'm guessing you do not.
No. Let's put that fallacy to bed. It is promoted by people who wish to further the notion that Americans are not actually Americans and are a people with no country, only a state. Usually globalists.

We are the United States of America. America being the country that these United States comprise. When you say "American" you mean someone from the United States of America. When you wish to refer to someone from South America you say South American. If you wish to refer to someone from the continent of North America without singling out Americans you can say North American, but I don't think too many people do that without some sort of ulterior motive.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:51 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I didn't forget, because it isn't accurate. Central America is not a continent. North and South America are continents.

And people all over the Americas consider themselves Americans I have found in traveling the Americas. It is a U.S.-centric and rather ignorant world view we have to consider ourselves the only "Americans".

Our arrogance as a nation is astonishing.
How arrogant of us to think our nation is worthy of an actual name and that our citizens can refer to ourselves with it. Had we less hubris we would refer to ourselves as United Statesians, or better yet not refer to ourselves at all.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
How arrogant of us to think our nation is worthy of an actual name and that our citizens can refer to ourselves with it. Had we less hubris we would refer to ourselves as United Statesians, or better yet not refer to ourselves at all.

United Statesians would be an affront to the citizens of Estados Unidos Mexicanos. How arrogant to think that we are the only country in the world composed of states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment