Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:05 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Their dream is our nightmare. Since it's our country and not theirs, our interests should take absolute priority over theirs. They should focus those "talents" on fixing their own country & its economy.

Why wait?

All these policy decisions are taken considering "our interests" only. The problem is that definition of "our" differs from people to people.

Their are bigger economic and political interests and opening up of markets for American products.

I will give you few examples.

US Administration wanted to look for markets for their new Boeing Dreamliner Airplanes. Air India (Govt. of India owned) agreed to buy many of those airplanes contributing to lot of American jobs in USA. India would say-okay we also have good deal offer from AirBus, what can you offer for us in return. US administration will say - we offer you more IT outsourcing contracts, jobs on H-1B visa.

US administration would say to India that dont buy that much crude oil from Russia or Iran. Buy from our interests like Saudi. India will say- what can you offer to us in return? IT

In world trade, it is always Give and Take !!! Corporates are always on the winning side and "our" means their interests only. American IT workers might be losing but Boeing workers, Oil executives might be winning. American Universities are winning financially, 7 eleven bosses are winning.

Meat Processing plants lobby for refugees to work in their graveyard shifts. Why? Because they come with UN funding which help local communities which host them, they come with insurance, they turn up as cheap workers for work at odd times. They will have to pay more for American workers which corporates dont want.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/01/b...r-recruit.html

IT work and jobs are also going the same way as Meat Processing jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I didn't forget, because it isn't accurate. Central America is not a continent. North and South America are continents.

And people all over the Americas consider themselves Americans I have found in traveling the Americas. It is a U.S.-centric and rather ignorant world view we have to consider ourselves the only "Americans". Our arrogance as a nation is astonishing.
I'm not taking side of anyone. But I disagree with your statement in bold.

I'm not looking at the countries in South or Central America yet, but I've looked at the list of the countries in North America. See the list in the link here: https://www.countries-ofthe-world.co...h-america.html

And talking about Canada, everybody would agree that it belongs to North America. And a Canadian obviously can't agree s/he is an American, unless s/he has a dual-citizenship

Old 09-10-2018, 08:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
IT work and jobs are also going the same way as Meat Processing jobs.
Not quite...meat packing is not a highly-skilled occupation where one has to continuously refresh one's knowledge.

The large number of non-English-speaking illegal immigrants working in meat packing is proof of that.

The problem is that IT work has become cheapened by the marginally-skilled cheap workers that have flooded our market.

I personally do not care about India's problems or how Indians will support themselves. That's their problem. This is our country and our interests...the interests of Americans...should come first. We all know that corporate interests really come first, but we're lower on the priority list than temporary guest workers (H1Bs) are. That's obscene on its face.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Not quite...meat packing is not a highly-skilled occupation where one has to continuously refresh one's knowledge.

The large number of non-English-speaking illegal immigrants working in meat packing is proof of that.

The problem is that IT work has become cheapened by the marginally-skilled cheap workers that have flooded our market.

I personally do not care about India's problems or how Indians will support themselves. That's their problem. This is our country and our interests...the interests of Americans...should come first. We all know that corporate interests really come first, but we're lower on the priority list than temporary guest workers (H1Bs) are. That's obscene on its face.

This is the main aim-flood the market to decrease the salaries.

Nursing is a skilled field as compared to meat packing.

Around 2004, 50 thousand Green Card were issued to Foreign Nurses with this aim only-most went to India. After that, the salaries in Nursing field decreased considerably.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4351994/

It is not any india problem that corporates are looking at their benefits first. American workers need to ask their corporate masters and policy makers.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:39 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:

Around 2004, 50 thousand Green Card were issued to Foreign Nurses with this aim only-most went to India. After that, the salaries in Nursing field decreased considerably.

It is not any india problem that corporates are looking at their benefits first. American workers need to ask their corporate masters and policy makers.
Not sure about the 50k green card number with bulk of them to Indians. Asian people especially Philipinos are more in nursing than Indians. Nursing is not a preferred occupation among Indian women.. After the tech boom of 90's most come directly into tech jobs than other jobs.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Not sure about the 50k green card number with bulk of them to Indians. Asian people especially Philipinos are more in nursing than Indians. Nursing is not a preferred occupation among Indian women.. After the tech boom of 90's most come directly into tech jobs than other jobs.

Kerala state of India is the world capital as far as Nursing is concerned. Unlike other regions of India like Hyderabad students trying for IT and Gujarat people looking at Motel/convenience stores opportunities in USA- kerala is the biggest producer of Nursing students. They have hundreds of Nursing colleges. Earlier they used to go to West Asian countries as well as other parts of India. 50 thousand Green Card in 2003, 2004 was a big opportunity and thousands of them came with work experience in West Asia. H-1B is not an option-direct green card was issued to them as well as spouses and children less then 21 years of age.

I have personal friends from kerala community in Austin, Houston, Baltimore-thats why I know. Their children who went for schooling here in the US are also picking up Nursing field.

They are mostly of Catholic background (as far as Keralites who have picked up Nursing are concerned) and speak Malayalam, English, Hindi languages.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:

"Ask," huh? I wish our policymakers would "ask" the H1B temporary guest workers to kindly go the eff home, but that's not going to happen...because our policymakers answer directly to the corporate overlords.

Quote:
Yup...Filipina nurses are the ones hoovering up visas. I've never seen an Indian nurse who wasn't from Kerala.

Quote:
They are mostly of Catholic background (as far as Keralites who have picked up Nursing are concerned) and speak Malayalam, English, Hindi languages.
And honestly, some of the worst bedside manner I've ever seen. ( And I've lived in five different countries so I've seen LOTS of different nationalities at work.)

Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
"Ask," huh? I wish our policymakers would "ask" the H1B temporary guest workers to kindly go the eff home, but that's not going to happen...because our policymakers answer directly to the corporate overlords.

Yup...Filipina nurses are the ones hoovering up visas. I've never seen an Indian nurse who wasn't from Kerala.

And honestly, some of the worst bedside manner I've ever seen. ( And I've lived in five different countries so I've seen LOTS of different nationalities at work.)
I hope you also heard the word "Doketor"

And regarding the original issue, in IT most are foot soldiers. Unless you get into some kind of advisory positions like the "Ministers " , everyone is in line. H1B's are like the soldiers fighting for another kingdom

Old 09-11-2018, 03:27 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:

Why wait?
^^^^Good point

They all need to be sent back to their own countries ASAP.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I hope you also heard the word "Doketor"

And regarding the original issue, in IT most are foot soldiers. Unless you get into some kind of advisory positions like the "Ministers " , everyone is in line. H1B's are like the soldiers fighting for another kingdom
I tend to avoid medical practices using large numbers of immigrant staff. I find it irritating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment