Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 03:38 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,832 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone else has had this happen. I did web search this topic and found some instances of this.

I have now experienced this at least three times now. I get an email from the recruiter asking me for good dates and times for a phone interview. I reply back with the requested info then the communication terminates. I always verify that the recruiter is legitimately associated with the company so that I do not become a victim of a scam.

I have seen an uptick in strange unprofessional behavior from recruiters in recent years but this takes the cake. I am beginning to think this is just some kind of odd act of aggression, like playing head games.

I would characterize any recruiter that would do something like this as a mental case (as in what I call a "psychology major"...a lot of those in the HR profession). In the 'old days', they didn't waste their time playing these kinds of games. If a candidate was not worthy of consideration, the recruiter simply ignored the person or sent a reject letter - case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 PM

11,133 posts, read 7,195,916 times
If they are scams, the behavior (silence and no further response) would be understandable.

If they are valid employers, maybe you're email responses are somehow giving them cold feet, and losing interest in you.

I'd have a person or two review your emails, to look for issues.

You shouldn't get emotional about it. Use your head to investigate. Stay focused and professional. Make sure there is no emotion in your email responses as well. Despite how recruiters are apparently acting, and any supposed injustices, don't let any of that trip you up.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:42 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,491,371 times
It sounds like a scam. They probably just wanted your resume. Talent acquisition professionals who are interested follow up. It is their job. You may not hear from them after the interview but they are responsive prior.

It is a serious problems. Employers are now warning applicants on their websites about fraud.

The Indians are the biggest culprits. They harrassed me. I complained to Indeed but nothing happened.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
I have had this countless times the last two months. It’s bizarre.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:19 AM

225 posts, read 150,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
[...] If they are valid employers, maybe you're email responses are somehow giving them cold feet, and losing interest in you. [...]
Of course it must be OP's own fault somehow. Those would have to be some bad emails to be at the root of that kind of behavior.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:06 AM

30,383 posts, read 51,996,897 times
I really got the wrong idea when I read your subject heading... thought you meant they were emailing you “for a good time,” which would certainly be shady behavior!

Old 09-11-2018, 05:07 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,923,379 times
A recruiter as in for that company, or a third party recruiter?

If it's a third party recruiter, they get paid based on how many positions they fill. They most likely filled the position and moved on. That's not a 'mental case'. That's financial rewards not aligning with what's best for recruits.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 AM

9,426 posts, read 8,405,872 times
Your writing skills may be scaring them off or they could have filled the role shortly after the email. In any case, PICK UP THE PHONE and call them next time and don't leave a voicemail, try your hardest to speak to someone directly to nail down the interview details.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:16 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,379,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I wonder if anyone else has had this happen. I did web search this topic and found some instances of this.

I have now experienced this at least three times now. I get an email from the recruiter asking me for good dates and times for a phone interview. I reply back with the requested info then the communication terminates. I always verify that the recruiter is legitimately associated with the company so that I do not become a victim of a scam.

I have seen an uptick in strange unprofessional behavior from recruiters in recent years but this takes the cake. I am beginning to think this is just some kind of odd act of aggression, like playing head games.

I would characterize any recruiter that would do something like this as a mental case (as in what I call a "psychology major"...a lot of those in the HR profession). In the 'old days', they didn't waste their time playing these kinds of games. If a candidate was not worthy of consideration, the recruiter simply ignored the person or sent a reject letter - case closed.
Playing head games? You think the Batman's Riddler or the Joker is in his hideaway doing this?

This is what they do. They use software that take the job requirements and it brings up resumes that match the keywords. Then they use software to blast out e-mail to everyone who was in the match. You never hear back from many of them, because they already found others to submit for the job. If they send this out to 300 people who match, chances are high for them that those who reply within a couple of minutes get the consideration and they focus on those and ignore the rest.

You might wonder why they do this. It saves them time and effort. Also, not everyone who gets an e-mail is interested in changing jobs or is interested in the job, so many don't reply at all even if they took the time to fully research and personalize their search.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,668,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post

How are you going about determining that the recruiter isn't trying to scam you?

And how about picking up the phone and calling them to ask? Real recruiters have and use phones.

It's very possible they're communicating with several people, and just wind up getting someone moved through the process first and then unprofessionally neglecting you. That isn't a "head game". Nobody who's recruiting is sitting there playing "games"... they're trying to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment