Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:34 PM

245 posts, read 152,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The easiest jobs to me are those that require good command of English and thus would pay more than min wage.

Working at a municipal office. Some people there probably put in 2-3 hours of real work a day, but the rest of the time, they can be on their computers surfing the web. To me, those are the easiest jobs.

Working at Home Depot which would require good command of English would be a second, but, you're on your feet all day. Working at Target would be the same.

Working at Starbucks is hectic, but easy, etc. Those jobs listed above pay more like $10-15 per hour. And working for a municipality can pay quite well.

People don't realize it but being able to speak and read and write in English gives you access to a whole nother tier of jobs...
I disagree. There are plenty of people who can communicate decently in English who work at or near minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:45 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
I would think a paraprofessional at an elementary school would be pretty easy. I happen to think it's important work, but in terms of difficulty, it can't be too tough. The main consideration would be if one likes kids or not. If one likes kids, then it should be pretty easy. Further, I think it pays more than minimum wage (though not much more).

Old 10-02-2018, 12:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. Entry-level jobs in many areas (Gulf Coast) require the applicant to be bi-lingual in Spanish. My command of English netted me zilch.
Entry level is not minimum wage...

Old 10-02-2018, 12:51 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
I disagree. There are plenty of people who can communicate decently in English who work at or near minimum wage.
There are some, but being a native English speaker is a big advantage to getting a better and easier job.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:24 PM

268 posts, read 282,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Please leave these easy, minimum wage jobs for teenagers and college students who need to work.

In my area there is a syndrome of older adults trying to make careers out of fast food, restaurant jobs, etc. I'm betting over half of them went to college and could do something else, but they want an easy job.

It's almost impossible for a teenager to get a job anymore and older adults get frustrated that they aren't earning a "living wage" busing tables, scooping ice cream, etc. Older adults make a lot more demands from their employers. The situation has turned into a monster.
Lets not pretend education is getting people high paying jobs. At most they are getting people entry level jobs that pay nothing that require a lot of work. So if op wants to go work at mcdonalds because it seems easier and relieves stress, then let him.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:04 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
It's even worse when educated adults waste their time on minimum wage jobs.
Unless the educated adults are retired and are in a post retirement job and don't want any more stress associated with higher paying jobs and don't need much money due to pension, social security, and investments.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:15 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
Lets not pretend education is getting people high paying jobs. At most they are getting people entry level jobs that pay nothing that require a lot of work. So if op wants to go work at mcdonalds because it seems easier and relieves stress, then let him.
What kind of education are you referring to here? College-level? If so, we're not pretending anything... having a college education WILL net you more money over your lifetime, and open many doors that wouldn't have opened otherwise. So enough with the hyperbole.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/

But do we know the OP's educational level, or are you all just assuming things?

Old 10-02-2018, 02:24 PM

Oh, and my answer to the OP is delivering pizza/food! I did that all through college, and it was the most chill job ever... I spent most of my shifts driving around listening to tunes, met interesting people, and went home with cash (tips) in my pocket every night.

Just try to work for a high-volume restaurant, so you don't end up working the line or register all night - because when you don't have deliveries to complete, you're expected to do all the in-store duties instead. I didn't mind an hour or so of that every shift, but it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as delivering. Also, you lose out on those tips.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:22 PM

268 posts, read 282,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What kind of education are you referring to here? College-level? If so, we're not pretending anything... having a college education WILL net you more money over your lifetime, and open many doors that wouldn't have opened otherwise. So enough with the hyperbole.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...cord/96493348/

But do we know the OP's educational level, or are you all just assuming things?
I was responding to this

Quote:
In my area there is a syndrome of older adults trying to make careers out of fast food, restaurant jobs, etc. I'm betting over half of them went to college and could do something else, but they want an easy job.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
I was responding to this
And? That still doesn't make your comments factual...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment