Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 PM

75 posts, read 54,544 times

Advertisements

So basically why would anyone want to be paid a salary if they can treat you like a dog? Wouldn't it be better if every job was hourly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 02:26 PM

334 posts, read 227,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
So basically why would anyone want to be paid a salary if they can treat you like a dog? Wouldn't it be better if every job was hourly?
The employees don't get to make that decision, the employers do

Old 10-16-2018, 03:09 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
What? Because its what they want to do. If they wanted to work hourly the local Target would likely hire them to stock shelves.

If I had to guess, they probably have a bonus structure that hinges on how well the game does. It doesn't sound all that different than what a CPA in a big 3 firm does, or what an Associate at a big Law Firm does in hopes of making Partner.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:52 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Never ever work for any game company. They are the worst and all it will make you do is hate the major games that we play every year. Any sort of creative production also has similar extremely poor work-life balance.
In that case I wish my husband had worked for them instead computers and then audio video.
He is retired now and all he does is play computer games every waking hour. Even when he was working he used to spend about 15 hours a day playing on the weekends. It was probably our biggest bone of contention.

As for the excessive work hours, they can always change jobs, no one is forcing them so no slavery.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:14 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Are you claiming employees don't get perks, raises, etc.?

If they didn't get those, they would quit and work for someone else.
I am talking about above and beyond, not the usual perks and raises. If employees give their all, management should too, but most won't. And it is not because they have to. Yes, employees don't have to give their all either.

How could you think that I would claim that employees don't get perks and raises? Of course they do. I have been in the workforce for more than 35 years and have seen those perks and raises. I have seen and done above and beyond work, but I have never seen above and beyond matches in compensation and perks. That is my point.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Yes, it would be better. For the employee that is but not for the employer. The employer would have to think long and hard about shelling out extra cash for overtime work. They would be forced to plan wisely, and not be understaffed. At hourly rates, no more free work for employers.

Of course some may say that for salaried work you are paid for what you produce rather than how much you spend on the job, but my salaried paychecks had hours on it, 80 hours for two weeks, no matter how much time you put in. And if I was paid to do the job and to produce, why was I paid the same no matter how much or how little I produced during different weeks?

Old 10-16-2018, 04:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I am talking about above and beyond, not the usual perks and raises. If employees give their all, management should too, but most won't. And it is not because they have to. Yes, employees don't have to give their all either.

How could you think that I would claim that employees don't get perks and raises? Of course they do. I have been in the workforce for more than 35 years and have seen those perks and raises. I have seen and done above and beyond work, but I have never seen above and beyond matches in compensation and perks. That is my point.
Any raise given more than a cost of living adjustment is something above and beyond. No one is guaranteed anything more than the salary they got when hired.

Didn't you say that you had an employer pay for three college/graduate degrees, and you're saying employers don't go above and beyond?

Last edited by Lekrii; 10-16-2018 at 04:57 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Any raise given more than a cost of living adjustment is something above and beyond. No one is guaranteed anything more than the salary they got when hired.

Didn't you say that you had an employer pay for three college/graduate degrees, and you're saying employers don't go above and beyond?
That is not above and beyond compared to employees that give above and beyond. That is my point.

The tuition reimbursement program at my job that I utilized was a fixture that was available to all employees whether they were top performers or the laziest slackers. It was good to have this program but it was not an above and beyond concept.

Of course no one is guaranteed anything more than their salary but that is not my point. Again, employers are not obligated to provide anything more than the salary. But when employees give their all, employers do not - in the commensurate amount that the employees do when they give their all. This just points that why should employees give their all when their employers do not?

Again, I am not saying that employers and employees are guaranteed anything above the basics, but at least in the jobs that I have held, the level of above and beyond of the employees was not matched by the employer.

Again, this is not to say that employers should jump to it and have to be forced to do anything. It is just to say that most rewards and perks that employers give to their employees are simply way below what employees contribute when they give their all.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
That is not above and beyond compared to employees that give above and beyond. That is my point.

The tuition reimbursement program at my job that I utilized was a fixture that was available to all employees whether they were top performers or the laziest slackers. It was good to have this program but it was not an above and beyond concept.

Of course no one is guaranteed anything more than their salary but that is not my point. Again, employers are not obligated to provide anything more than the salary. But when employees give their all, employers do not - in the commensurate amount that the employees do when they give their all. This just points that why should employees give their all when their employers do not?

Again, I am not saying that employers and employees are guaranteed anything above the basics, but at least in the jobs that I have held, the level of above and beyond of the employees was not matched by the employer.

Again, this is not to say that employers should jump to it and have to be forced to do anything. It is just to say that most rewards and perks that employers give to their employees are simply way below what employees contribute when they give their all.
I hear what you're saying. You're missing my point. Any promotion or raise beyond cost of living adjustments is a reward for people who go above and beyond.

No one in their right mind would stay at a company that doesn't give raises, promotions, etc. to people who put in extra effort.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:45 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I used to manage a gas station and it was common for me to have to work from 6am to midnight 7 days a week, because corporate would take a really long time to approve new employees for the store. At the time (drinking the company koolaid) I thought they were just being very thorough in checking backgrounds for new hires. Eventually, after more than a year without a single day off, I realized they were doing it on purpose because I was on salary and it was much cheaper to just have me do the work of three people.
Salaried employees are still entitled to time and a half IF the hours they work divided by overtime at minimum wage would surpass the salary amount. I am talking about these facts, it is not a catch all exempt/non exempt statement.

Example; $8.00/hr, min. wage. You work 80 hours, 40 of which is overtime if you were hourly.

40 x 8.00 = 320.00. 40 at OT = 480.00 ...= 800.00 for 40 hours.

If you were paid 500.00 a week you are underpaid 300.00 that week.

I believe I am correct in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment