Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Have any of you hired on to a company and realized you did not receive a substantial benefit you were promised? Or you were lied to/mislead about something, etc. . . Did it make you quit the job? I worked for a company in which the hiring manager promised me a commission rate 33% higher than I actually received. I did not know I was receiving the lower commission rate until I spoke with my coworkers about it because my sales were not transparent on my paychecks. I knew I was deceived because the manager promised me the inflated rate several times. I didn't do anything about it since I was leaving anyway, but ever since then, I have insisted on getting all my benefits and salary promises from new employers in writing. It has protected me from being lied to by an employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 09:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
No. Who doesn't know to get everything important in writing?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:38 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
That’s basic common sense. Job offers and commission or bonus plans should be in writing. In some states, it’s even the law.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:57 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
My first job where I negotiated my salary this happened. I didn't get it in writing so it was a learning experience for me! Ever since then I insisted on getting my offer in writing. Way back then (dinosaurs were roaming the earth) hiring managers thought it was odd I asked for my offer in writing.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Yep. I was hired under the pretense of traveling maybe 4-5 times a year which was perfect with a toddler. It wound up being 4-5 times a month and when I pulled out the contract which said <25% travel they said I could keep doing it or quit. I quit and haven’t looked back sinxez

Old 10-19-2018, 12:35 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
If it's not in writing, it was never promised, never said, and doesn't exist.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
No, in fact twice I have discovered additional benefits that were not mentioned in the job announcement or during the interview, or at the offer. i have never worked in a commission role, but it does seem like something that has to be in writing before accepting.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I always ask about overtime during interviews. The attorney said during the interview there is NEVER overtime.

I started working and asked around why the previous paralegal quit. Apparently too much (unpaid) overtime. So after 4 weeks the game began - he was at court or gone for meetings and always managed to show up a few minutes before I left with a bunch of work for me.
Or was in his office and came out a few minutes before I left with URGENT work that was laying there for hours on his desk, untouched.
We had a talk. He didn't change. I quit. I am not willing to have no life for a job that won't pay $$$ while he is driving a jaguar. If I work an hour or more extra every day, I want a porsche!

Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 PM

236 posts, read 195,813 times
In the counseling profession it is not the norm to get all the many things we deal with in writing. Therefore I have experienced several organizations going back on their word, changing my schedule without asking me and adding other duties to my role without consulting me after I got hired. I have tried to get details put into my hiring contract but they do not generally like to write these things down or say they its fine because its a verbal agreement. Yes, you can ask but sometimes it sours the relationship right off the bat because they want to be able to change the rules as they go! One well known agency was famous for not paying her counselors for sometimes 6-8 wks if she didnt like the way you worded your evaluation of a client. Slick trick. She saved herself alot of money because nobody knew it was illegal in Idaho.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:12 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Well, I'm on temporary assignment and what they promised me in writing for what I would be doing, it's not been happening. Instead, they've put me on the equivalent of military KP duty. Not much I can do but ride it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment