Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 07:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post

I texted back to her that if that wasn't acceptable and she wanted my resignation, let me know.

I never sent in a resignation letter and didn't hear anything else for a few days.

I got an email Wednesday morning from her saying that it's unfortunate that I resigned and the new employee would go to this client without me. She said as soon as she had my resignation letter, the company would process my separation.

[COLOR="Navy"[[/b][/color]

You ran a bluff, and told her, If she would not accept what you wanted, let you know and you would send a resignation letter.

The company told you that as soon as they received the resignation letter, you would be sent your final pay.

The company is doing exactly doing it your way, following your offer, as you would not do what your company required and they are following your dispatch to a tee.

You told her if she wanted a resignation letter, to let you know, and she let you know.

Don't even try to fight this, as you are the one that offered to send a resignation letter if they requested, and they accepted your offer. And they are not holding your money, as they are ready to send you everything you have coming as soon as they get your letter, and turn in your lap top and phone. T his is standard procedure in the work world.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:31 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The OP wasn't an employee. She didn't agree with the terms of work. There may have been a better way to get around the silly lodging problem but no one took it. Neither "side" seems to be putting in much effort to find an alternative.
I was an employee. I did put effort into solving this silly lodging problem since I had a hotel room booked on my frequent stay points (no charge to the client or my company) and this was not acceptable to my manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I’m kind of curious why OP didn’t go on the trip, book his or her own room, not say anything to the employer and then stay in the room he/she paid for? Pragmatism.
I explained this upthread. I had a hotel room booked. The 3 of us were instructed to fly into the same airport. My manager (one of the three) was renting a car to take the other two of us to the college dorm and then the manager was going to stay in a hotel. I didn't see how to avoid staying in the dorm. Go to the dorm with them and then take a cab/uber to the hotel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
I’m sure the client only cared that they were charged for only 1 room (sounds like a deeply cheap client). I think the company was just using this as an excuse to get rid of the OP after being handed an ultimatum. I would say they can’t hold the pay and payouts, but whether the OP can get unemployment, I don’t know. Doesn’t sound like the OP really cared about the job anyway.
The client wasn't paying for the room since it was a dorm room and I assume since the client was the college, that the dorm room was free to them? At this point, no... I don't care to work at the company with those travel arrangements. The company used this travel arrangement as a reason to get rid of me because there was no billable work for me. I would have preferred honesty instead of this silliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader
You ran a bluff, and told her, If she would not accept what you wanted, let you know and you would send a resignation letter.
Yes, I told her that I would resign if it wasn't acceptable for me to pay for my own room. I'm not holding out sending my equipment back, I was just advised last night (Saturday) how to return the laptop and phone.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:50 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Personally, after talking to her and getting this "sharing a room is a requirement" thing. I would have said "fine", and then booked my own room with my points and just stayed in my own room. They can't MAKE you sleep in that room, and they would probably not have cared. Giving a boss an ultimatum is pretty much the same as resigning.

Yes, of course they have to pay you for your worked hours, vacation, etc. I don't know if COBRA is required when someone "resigns".
Yes, exactly. Sounds like real miscommunications, because it makes no sense about the rooms if the OP offered to pay their own way, which I think is wrong to begin with. What if the OP was then sexually assault being forced to share a room? I'd contact an employment attorney about this.

As for COBRA, makes no difference if you are fired (with or without cause) or quit, you are entitled to COBRA.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I had to stay in the dorm. The 3 of us were all flying into NY together, my manager was getting a car and driving the 2 of us sharing the room to the dorm, then she was driving off to go to her hotel.
I've done work for all kinds of companies who had clients that were US federal, state and local and higher education, and no one would has ever suggested any of us stay in a dorm shared or not. It has always been in hotels and everyone had their own room. So to begin with, this company is horrible, the manager is horrible, and the client sounds horrible to make such poor accommodation allowances for adult professionals. Like the budget was constructed by the company and got permission from the client to use their dorm.

You didn't resign. But as usual, some people on C-D defend employers any action as being correct and valid. There are all kinds of possible accommodations that are needed for employees for travel, housing, food, local transportation, etc. It is the job of the employer to handle them, and forcing someone to accept them just isn't going to fly. The manager for the company in this situation is clearly incompetent.

Yes, you do want anything you are entitled to. Which is why a brief phone call with an attorney who handles employment law is the thing to do. If you've never worked with an attorney before, it is easy.

You call the local Bar Association and ask for recommendations of attorneys who specialize in "employment law". Then you meet with or have a phone call with the attorney. I highly recommend you prepare a letter to explain your situation to save time, and e-mail it or fax it to the attorney prior to the meeting. When you speak with him or her, ask if this is financially with it for you to pursue. A good attorney will be able to tell you that within a few minutes and many won't even charge you for that brief call, but you ask about fees upfront.

Very often all an attorney has to do, is contact the owner of this business and explain that he or she now represents you. If the employer says they want to terminate you, then the attorney will discuss a severance package and address unemployment, or anything else, and an employer takes this very seriously and you will get action to resolve this. As for the rest of the legal advice given here in this thread, I'd ignore it, because you need to talk with legal professional in your state.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:53 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
And when did you ask to see the contract on this particular account task?
Our tech employees were given copies so they knew exactly what they were allowed to do...what was covered and who to report to when on premise.
If the 'stipend' for hotel , travel is listed ..then usually the employee is on their own if they upgrade or change proximity.
My company worked with govt along with private. .our staff didn't have a problem sharing rooms. Most knew they slept..worked..then back on a plane. Only a few got to enjoy a few days on their own tab if they wanted to tour the city. The contractor only cared that the tasks got completed and the contract terms were fair on each side.
I find your employer to be a bit closed door in not allowing you to read the contract and work out an arrangement that doesn't directly relate to the contracted technical work.
As always..the legal needs left to the qualified.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:59 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Quote:
I do not want the job at this point, this is not the first strange thing that happened at this company, I ignored other things. I can't work for this manager after this. Even if I wanted to apologize for the misunderstanding, why should I? The client and/or customer should not expect 2 grown women to share a 2 bed, 1 room, 1 bath freshman dorm room to save a few dollars. I've been doing this job for many years, clients do try to nickel and dime you, but not to the extent that this last employer has done and is currently doing to other co-workers.

And I could not do it face to face even if I wanted to, we are all remote and she is on her way to NY right now.

I had to stay in the dorm. The 3 of us were all flying into NY together, my manager was getting a car and driving the 2 of us sharing the room to the dorm, then she was driving off to go to her hotel.

Yea, maybe I was immature in asking if she wanted my resignation, but I should have realized she did want it before this incident and this incident is what she is trying to pin my "resignation" on.
Well, live and learn right. Sounds like it's time to move on.

Best of luck.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
this is all about power, not the dorm, not the hotel, they just want you to bow down, oh im sorry, it never happen again, you are so kind to me,

she the manager is always right and its just an ego power trip. you have two choice, bow down, collect some dirt to get her fired, or just leave now. but you will always be her little play toy

Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
And when did you ask to see the contract on this particular account task?
We never see the actual contract. We saw something Monday, not the contract, just notes from a call between the sales manager and the client. It stated that the client had arranged "Faculty Housing" for us. I did not think faculty housing was a 1 room freshman dorm with twin beds.

I've been in this same business for 30 years, I have never had to share a doom room... actually I've never had to share a hotel room, I didn't know business professionals did that**. I guess my other companies treated us better.

** I friend of mine told his company that he and a male co-worker that he knew well would share a room, it was at a very nice hotel. When they got into the room they saw that the bathroom/shower/tub area was modern, enclosed in only glass and open to the sleeping area. I think this was the last room available in the hotel and I don't remember if they stayed in this room or found another hotel. LOL

Old 11-05-2018, 11:03 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:

Yes, I told her that I would resign if it wasn't acceptable for me to pay for my own room. I'm not holding out sending my equipment back, I was just advised last night (Saturday) how to return the laptop and phone.

Yea, maybe I was immature in asking if she wanted my resignation, but I should have realized she did want it before this incident and this incident is what she is trying to pin my "resignation" on.
When you made your statement asking if she wanted your resignation, and you would resign if you could not pay for your own room, as those two of your posts state, of course she will hold you to your statement. You resigned, and now don't want to be held accountable for your action. TOO LATE. You have resigned and it is now up to you to accept and be accountable for your actions.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
this is all about power, not the dorm, not the hotel, they just want you to bow down, oh im sorry, it never happen again, you are so kind to me,

she the manager is always right and its just an ego power trip. you have two choice, bow down, collect some dirt to get her fired, or just leave now. but you will always be her little play toy
I think you are working out your own demons about something else. They don't have work for the OP, so they are trying to force a situation so the OP resigns. Employees who resign save the company money. Being fired or a layoff cost the company money, which is why many of them announce downsizing in advance hoping many employees will go find another job before they have to let them go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment