Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:15 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Thanks! The trip was coming up in a few days, I didn't know how else to get out of bunking with the new employee (we are both female by the way so the above post about male/female in this day and age isn't relevant). I suppose I could have called in sick yesterday and not taken the flight, but I'm an honest person and would never lie like that.
It doesn't matter. She could be a violent woman who puts on a strap on or brings over her drug addict Male cousin or pimp boyfriend. Just because it's a Woman it's foolish of others to suggest you let your guard
down.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:54 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
Quote:
So because she didn't want to sleep next to a strange Man or Woman she barely knows or can trust it's all on her

How would you like if we put you in a room with a stranger and told you that in order to keep your job you'll need to bunk with them.

Are you willing to get your buttcheeks split wide open to keep your job?

In this era do you really think this is acceptable???
First of all, how ugly and unnecessary was your third sentence above. We're having an intelligent discussion. No need to be graphic or insensitive to us, and mostly the OP. How utterly distasteful.

Before jumping to that you could have just asked for clarification. What I meant by "the OP cost herself the job" others have also agreed with.....in the sense that -- her hasty offer resign is what opened the door to the manager to say the OP resigned -- when actually and factually -- she did NOT resign.

This issue now -- if indeed it is too late to retract the misunderstandings -- is that the OP protect herself so she can get unemployment, if applicable -- and all the pay she is due.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My question is why did the OP jump all the way to offering to resign over accommodations. That offer should have never been made in the first place. As others have said, the OP could have just make her own arrangements anyway.

Perhaps given the OP's previous experience there was a bit of panic about not being forced to stay in on-campus accommodations. And that influenced the -- what seems to me -- "over the top" offer to resign.

The OP says she's OK with losing the gig. But it didn't have to happen this way. The OP cost herself the job. But if she's OK with it......
The OP never resigned. The OP did make arrangements and told that to the manager, didn't you read that? Again, the OP didn't resign. You also didn't pay attention to what the OP was saying, the business ran out of work, and since this manager was forcing an unreasonable issue, most intelligent people can see what is happening and don't want to play the game. Asking if you want me to resign is not the same as offering your resignation. The OP simply asked the manager a question. You are manufacturing something that simply isn't there.

If an employee came to me and said they are resigning, I would ask what is going to be their last day, and then make arrangements to process it and turn their work over to someone else. None of those things took place there, so this is why the OP is posting about it. The incompetent manager didn't resolve the communication, leaving the OP to not know what their status is.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:33 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
Quote:
The OP never resigned.
I've said that multiple times. And in the quoted post I said, offering to resign."
Not taking issue with you. As I don't know whether you're reiterating my post, or disagreeing with it. I can't tell.
So I hope we're agreeing.

Quote:
The incompetent manager didn't resolve the communication, leaving the OP to not know what their status is.
You're absolutely correct! And it doesn't help that the OP didn't actually work in an office, where she reported to so she could go in and straighten out/resolve this situation in person. When you work remotely, if the other party leaves you in radio silence for days....you're left not knowing what the heck might be developing in the vacuum.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's not so odd. When I was in the Naval Reserve, we had to share rooms on trips. This applied to officers as well as enlisted.
This is completely different. When you are employed by the US military as a soldier, they own you. They can do whatever they wish with you and you can't refuse, not show up for work, or simply quit. And more importantly, you were made aware of this situation in your enlistment, and you had an expectation to be subjected to literally anything. In the private industry working in the US, this is not the case, and a manager forcing this for no good reason clearly shows a hidden agenda to try to get the OP to leave the company to get her off the payroll because they don't really have long-term work for her any longer. Private industry employers prefer employees to quit, they don't want to fire or lay them off, because that costs them money. Constructing a situation which the employee would quit saves the company money and time.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
When you work remotely, if the other party leaves you in radio silence for days....you're left not knowing what the heck might be developing in the vacuum.
I suspect this manager wanted to think about the situation to further crunch the numbers to see what it would cost the company in unemployment if the OP was eligible. And maybe consultant with someone to see if she can be fired "for cause" so they don't have to pay unemployment for refusing this insanely stupid situation. Also to see who else could cover for the OP if she won't be there.

This is a really bad manager for a number of reasons. I had a co-worker years ago who had an eating disorder, and needed special accommodations that many people would ignore saying he had to eat what everyone else was eating or not eat at all. But the company took this into consideration, they didn't force the issue and the solution didn't have an additional cost.

For those that don't know, a good manager, who for whatever reason thought two to a room was reasonable, would have asked the OP, "Is there a problem with sharing a room for you?". And all the OP would have to say, "Yes, there is" and that would be it. They would explore different accommodations and whatever restrictions they might have in doing so. If the manager had a valid reason the OP must share the room and in the doom, it would have been made clear. And I'm just guessing, like the client was going to have some of their team there within that group of rooms and they would be working on the projects together solid for 12 hours a day that week or whatever. The manager could have also suggested they ask the client (higher education) if another room could be made available for just one person for the OP. But to force the issue with no logic or explanation to this is just wrong and it reeks of a hidden agenda towards reducing staff by giving he OP a reason to go find another job, because they don't have long-term work for her.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:58 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
So today is Tueday November 6th. Yesterday was Monday, November 5th. Does the OP know if she still can expect to be contacted for contract work yet?

Old 11-06-2018, 10:09 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
So today is Tueday November 6th. Yesterday was Monday, November 5th. Does the OP know if she still can expect to be contacted for contract work yet?
I have a call with a VP of the company in an hour to discuss whether I resigned or was terminated. I will let you know the outcome if I can do so.

I am not going to continue working for this company if that was your question.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:16 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Thanks for keeping us updated. I think you're handling this very well.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
My call went okay, they said they will not contest if/when I try to collect unemployment.

I was not angry during the call, I just told them I was disappointed. I do believe since I treated them professionally during the call and said I would not take this anywhere, they were civil to me. Could I have made their lives more miserable? Possibly, but I'm not the sue happy type of person. I am more the "karma will bite you in the butt" type of person.

I'm happy to be out of there! Well hopefully I receive my forthcoming pay/vacation pay/bonus pay next week!

Thanks to everyone who politely discussed this with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment