Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:57 PM

81 posts, read 119,424 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am about to let go from my current job (Reporting/SQL developer) and I have been learning Power Bi on my own in the past few weeks now. It's an amazing reporting visualization tool that I am currently focusing on. I am wondering what are the job market for it and key area of Power BI that I need to focus on? I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 05:03 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,599 times
BI in general seems like a hot market these past few years ...every company is trying to do pretty charts and graph for senior mgmt in a non-excel process...no matter which BI tools you are using (Tableu, Qlickview, etc...) it is a good skill to use

Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 PM

780 posts, read 425,730 times
I'd focus more on Tableau and the other enterprise suites. Microsoft Power BI is freeware, hence is limited in its capabilities. Most jobs on the market that I've seen are usually looking for something along the lines of Tableau experience.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

Mod cut.

DonaldJTrump:
- I agree with you there. It seems that the top 3 players of data analytic software are Tableau, Qlikview and Power BI.

Sir Quotes A Lot:
- I will check out Tableau (wish I had done it long time ago). I believe Tableau has been on the market for over a decade and Power BI is a new player. I have been working under the Microsoft software environment (SQL Server, SSRS, Visual Studio etc) for a while, so that's why I pick Power BI. I heard it's catching up with Tableau quickly.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-14-2018 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Reply to post which has been deleted.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I'd focus more on Tableau and the other enterprise suites. Microsoft Power BI is freeware, hence is limited in its capabilities. Most jobs on the market that I've seen are usually looking for something along the lines of Tableau experience.
I agree, here Tableau is the BI tool, and we now have a BI department that has grown from 1 to 12 people in the last few years.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:49 AM

780 posts, read 425,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nld09 View Post
Sir Quotes A Lot:
- I will check out Tableau (wish I had done it long time ago). I believe Tableau has been on the market for over a decade and Power BI is a new player. I have been working under the Microsoft software environment (SQL Server, SSRS, Visual Studio etc) for a while, so that's why I pick Power BI. I heard it's catching up with Tableau quickly.
Don't necessarily worry about timelines or deadlines, as if you've missed that boat already. If you're familiar with SSRS and the like, Tableau is very intuitive, and that's intentional. It's a lot of dragging and dropping fields in order to create the dashboard or graphical representation you want to create. It may take a little getting used to, but I am confident that you can figure it out if you've already been capably working on the back end of the database environment. Being able to query data extracts is half the battle, and probably the more technical piece if you ask me. If you're already comfortable with that, then Tableau should be a relatively easy learning curve for you.

Good luck! BI is really exciting work.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Hemlock140:
-That is great to hear the growth. It gives me a good chance of getting into the area :-)

Sir Quotes A Lot:
-I appreciate your additional input and the guideline. I agree with you that the back end DB environment is not an easy step and it took me years to learn and optimize it. I just installed Tableau on my PC and starting to explore it.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:37 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
The job market for Microsoft BI is just like any other job market. There are no Microsoft BI jobs that require no experience. You can learn whatever you want, but getting past the catch-22 is the primary challenge facing you.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:34 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nld09 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am about to let go from my current job (Reporting/SQL developer) and I have been learning Power Bi on my own in the past few weeks now. It's an amazing reporting visualization tool that I am currently focusing on. I am wondering what are the job market for it and key area of Power BI that I need to focus on? I appreciate your input.
I am a business analyst / report developer and I use SSMS for TSQL code and sprocs, Visual Studio to design reports and SSRS to publish the BI reports for end users. I also use Access and Excel frequently for quick and easy reports that require more analysis than development. I am learning Power Query, Power Pivot and Power BI right now as I really feel that Microsoft is really going to push to replace SSRS with Power BI since it is much more interactive than SSRS, it is cloud based as opposed to SSRS which requires a report server and Power BI is a good stepping stone into Data Science/deep learning.

I would Learn Power BI on the job if I were you and then if you have enough influence in your organization, push them to move in that direction because I truly feel it is going to become Microsoft's #1 BI tool possibly even replacing Excel. Remember, Microsoft tools are transferable across any industry so it definitely doesn't hurt to learn any of their products from Excel & Access to SSIS to Power BI all the way to Azure and Microsoft R. Be the Microsoft solutions expert not just the Power BI expert.

I've never used Tableu, but here is a video that compares the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqSPCtj7zo&t=53s

Old 02-04-2019, 08:52 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Power BI has a limited use free version. Most corporations use a much more beefed up version that isn't free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment