Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 04:05 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,019 times

Advertisements

I started a new job about 10 weeks ago - I absolutely love it and the company....

But there are 2 younger girls who use foul language, I mean the "F" bomb at the top of their lungs.... twice today one of the shouted at our director "are you F'ng kidding me?" no reaction from him. one morning, the other girl came into the office raging about how her "f'ng dogs, pulled a casserole off the f'ng counter and f'ng ate the f'ng thing. It took her 30 minutes to put the f'ng casserole together and cost her f'ng $70 for the ingredients (no idea what was in the casserole) and she wanted to kill her f'ng dogs.... this went on and on.

I am afraid there might be repercussions if I go to HR - I have begun putting my earbuds in my ears to avoid the daily explosions. These girls have been there 5 years - and I think because they've been here that long, it's overlooked.

I'd like some suggestions on how to handle....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 04:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
What do you want HR to do?

This is either a Management issue or not depending on Office expectations of language and behavior. There is nothing illegal cursing in this context.

1st step, you can ask them not to curse around you.

2nd step, if they continue you can bring the issue to your manager.
3rd, if no changes then either except or move on.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:32 PM

801 posts, read 547,771 times
I don't see what the problem is. Is she referring to you as a "F---er or Mother F'er? Does it prevent you from doing your job in any way?? She loves the F word. Big deal...

I'd just tell her to refrain from cursing at me when we are talking.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:36 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Depends on the office really. I have had my staff say “are you f... kidding me” on more than one occasion. Doesn’t bother me in the least. I have dropped the word myself.

It does depend on context and coworkers. If it makes you uncomfortable, talk to your manager.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:38 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
You shouldn't have to tolerate that type of sophomoric nonsense in the workplace. Contact HR and your manager and ask for a meeting with them and the two girls to discuss what is going on. Either you will wind-up with a compromise or will need to push the problem up the management chain.

Honestly, no reasonable business will tolerate this in the workplace. Keep pushing and at some point you will encounter a responsible adult who will deal with it. Why worry about repercussions unless you are willing to work like this from now on?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:54 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
There is a such thing as employability skills. Using foul language at work shouldn't be acceptable. It's one thing if someone is having a private conversation and they whisper the word. It's another thing to shout it out. Some people don't find it offensive at all, but most don't find that type of language acceptable in an office setting.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I started a new job about 10 weeks ago - I absolutely love it and the company....

But there are 2 younger girls who use foul language, I mean the "F" bomb at the top of their lungs.... twice today one of the shouted at our director "are you F'ng kidding me?" no reaction from him. one morning, the other girl came into the office raging about how her "f'ng dogs, pulled a casserole off the f'ng counter and f'ng ate the f'ng thing. It took her 30 minutes to put the f'ng casserole together and cost her f'ng $70 for the ingredients (no idea what was in the casserole) and she wanted to kill her f'ng dogs.... this went on and on.

I am afraid there might be repercussions if I go to HR - I have begun putting my earbuds in my ears to avoid the daily explosions. These girls have been there 5 years - and I think because they've been here that long, it's overlooked.

I'd like some suggestions on how to handle....
Don't rock the boat!! Look at the facts!
  • She said the F word to the director and he didn't correct or reprimand her.
  • They have both been there for 5 years (longevity)
  • You are a new person with only 10 weeks to his/her belt.

I don't curse at work. Other do and i don't care about it. Now if they were to curse AT me then that would be another story.

The only repercussion by going to HR with this would be at you. HR will tell them about your grievance and you will have a bulleyes on your back.

HR; Hey girls, Littlelou doesn't like it when you use foul language. LOL. So please try to not curse around him/her. Ok, LOL!! I am like not kidding at all! He/She came to my office and told me about your daily usage of curse words. I had to hold my laughter as he was telling me his story.
Girl 1 - OMG, Littlelou is a *#&#(&(!! LOL, hey i will not curse around him....
Girl 2 - LOL, i guess i will too. We have a little boy/girl scout with us!!!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Interesting that even after a military career I hear more foul F bomb language from the young 20 something women than from the military guys I served with. I'm no stranger to the language but it does seem they tend to use it as a part of normal conversation much more often.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Interesting that even after a military career I hear more foul F bomb language from the young 20 something women than from the military guys I served with. I'm no stranger to the language but it does seem they tend to use it as a part of normal conversation much more often.
It's cool nowadays to curse like a sailor even if there is no reason for it.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,744,556 times
Start saying things to yourself , but loudly, like "Praise Jesus" and "Hallelujah" and "To God be the Glory". It should be fine for others to exclaim in sexually vulgar terms and you to express your religious views, so as long as you aren't inviting them to church. It's just another sort of uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment