Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would definitely leave a job that was destroying my quality of life for one that pays have with great hours.

You only go around this life one time.

If you can still comfortably cover the basics; food, shelter, retirement, health insurance, saving for your kids college, do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 01:12 AM

343 posts, read 353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Well, apparently six figure jobs exists in the OP's location. I would expect that there is at least one other employer that offers work life balance. Sorry, but I work with thousands of six figure folks that work standard business hours.

OP, it's your financial future. Use Excel and run your next 5-10 years starting at 60k and getting 2-4% raises a year. See if you are okay with those numbers.
Charlygal... It is fantastic that you live a comfortable life, working a comfortable career, with comfortable pay, at comfortable hours; but the fact is, you are the exception, not the rule. You and your thousands of six figure folks are in some kind of bubble, either the city you live in or the company you work for/manage/own/contract.

Another poster said only about 6% of people make over six figures at 40 hours. If you haven't noticed, you are the only one in this thread that is yelling about the easy to get six figure 40 hour job. Which makes you, ironically, the 6% of this group of posters that has that readily available.

This post isn't meant to insult you, but the op has a legitimate concern that applies to most people in this country.

By the way, I make six figures also, but i work 80 hour weeks to achieve that.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:46 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Has anyone left a six figure job for something that pays half? Regrets or worth it? Current job is 60+ hours a week of constant hell catching. Get paid OT over 40 hours. Basically unsupervised service job. New job would be in an office environment but still in my field. Cut in vacation but has retirement. Half heartedly considering it. Burnt out at current job and the thought of a fresh start is appealing.
There are lots of job like that out there. They might pay well, but if you can't have a life, what's the point?

Unless you are really stuck with heavy debt and a lavish lifestyle you can't live without - do it. You can never get those years of misery back, you can never get the hours back you missed spending with a spouse or your children.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:44 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Has anyone left a six figure job for something that pays half? Regrets or worth it? Current job is 60+ hours a week of constant hell catching. Get paid OT over 40 hours. Basically unsupervised service job. New job would be in an office environment but still in my field. Cut in vacation but has retirement. Half heartedly considering it. Burnt out at current job and the thought of a fresh start is appealing.
Are you currently banking half of your salary? Or are you living on the whole amount, and what looks like a good idea now will leave you spiraling into debt?

If you cannot put at least $2000 each month for the next six months into savings, you cannot afford to make that move.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:18 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
Quote:
My wife did this. But her case is probably a bit different. She completely changed careers to follow a lifelong passion and she is extremely happy and fulfilled now.

What's perhaps notable is that she didn't even hate her previous job. It was just not aligned with her long-term vision. But it was a good job with excellent benefits, great pay, extremely flexible (9-80 PLUS work from home 3 days a week), and she had a great relationship with her bosses. But she was becoming disillusioned with the idea of staying there longterm with no greater purpose than making money for this huge multinational corporation. So she quit during the recession. LOL, yes she realizes how privileged she was to be able to walk away from that situation just to be happier.

Good luck to ya whichever way you go!!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:47 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, and they are often in high COL areas. I have family members in them, but they are also in areas that are some of the most expensive in the nation. Probably in my job, many people do make six figures, depending on how long they’ve been there. However, that is not the base pay.
Not true. Many people on my company make six figures. Last year I was insane with the reorganization working way too much. Thanks to advice from people on here I stopped working like that.

Needless to say, six figures and work 40-50 depending on what’s going on.

OP years ago I started a new career and took a pay cut almost in half. It was well worth it for me.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:20 AM

1,279 posts, read 854,153 times
Quote:
I've taken pay cuts for 2 jobs, but the jobs that I took promised more income over the long run (either by a longer promised career or via faster raises). One was worth it (it started at a lower salary but promised faster raises), and I eventually made significantly more than I would have kept in the prior job (which had a higher, but steady, salary). A 40%+ pay cut seems pretty draconian, though, and I wouldn't take it unless raises were promised and more income would be earned over the long run. The grass in another job isn't necessarily greener--sounds like you're sick of your current place and need a change, but I wouldn't count on any job being without "h_ll catching". Work so often is rotten regardless of salary- that's why we're paid to do it.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:21 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,288 times
I would do it if moving to a lower cost of living area that is much cheaper

Old 01-26-2019, 03:48 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,900,469 times
Yes, I did take a significant pay cut to have a better quality of life up here versus a higher COL somewhere that I was not particularly crazy living at. I was also working 70 hour work weeks and had no time for family, myself or anything other than work, a 2-hour commute and sleep/eat. The company sucked and the job also sucked because it consumed my life even though it paid massive bucks.

I took a 35% pay cut to come up here and do not regret it for one second. I have since found another job making right around the same what I made in the hell job back South and work 45 hours a week with a great company.

I think that OP is being perfectly sensible; it's very much worth it because no job or amount of money is worth your happiness or actually having a life outside of work.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Not to that degree but I have requested an assessment of my ever-expanding job duties and opted for a salary cut in exchange for NOT doing the more obnoxious parts of it. Having a life in addition to a job was worth it. As the old saw says, "there's a reason they're paying you the big bucks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment