Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Didnt think you could fire someone for having a mental illness.
They wouldn't be firing them for having an illness, they might fire them for not doing their job as assigned, doing unsafe acts on the job, or for conduct reasons.

Just because their work falls on you does NOT make it your business. If you want to complain about the workload, tell your supervisor how the person's absence affects you and ask for help getting through it. That is reasonable. Prying into another person's affairs is not. As others have already said, the arrangements another employee makes with management is private.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 07:25 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
This employee seems untouchable. There would be a lawsuit if they fired them.
This is just your speculation, not fact.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
What do you think about someone who has a mental illness but doesnt take medication for it which results in 1-2 week absences at a time about once a year? Or once every other year?

Would you view it/treat it the same as someone whos out for a physical illness?

What if the employee were getting special priveleges like working from home because of this that no one else gets?
I'd say you are not in a position to diagnose anyone else's need for medication.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:05 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
They wouldn't be firing them for having an illness, they might fire them for not doing their job as assigned, doing unsafe acts on the job, or for conduct reasons.

Just because their work falls on you does NOT make it your business. If you want to complain about the workload, tell your supervisor how the person's absence affects you and ask for help getting through it. That is reasonable. Prying into another person's affairs is not. As others have already said, the arrangements another employee makes with management is private.
While that's true on paper, the reality is that someone out for two weeks with a broken leg or pneumonia is going to be treated differently than a bipolar on an episode where they cannot control themselves enough to work.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
How would you feel if the employee in question had a physical illness, did not take medication, and was out for an equivalent time?

What if I have a bad back and throw it out every year or two. I don’t wear a back brace regularly, and you blame that for me not being at work?

How about a woman who doesn’t take birth control, gets pregnant, and takes 6 weeks off when the baby is born?

Do you see much difference between any of my examples and the OP? In the eyes of the law I doubt there is any difference.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:21 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
Quote:
Well i would but his work gets dumped on me... i do his job AND my job when he's out for 2 weeks with no extra compensation. it's a small office, and i'm the one who picks up the slack. so it kind of is my business. and he's higher up the ladder than me (makes 2x what i make). so i'm doing a superior's work.
I feel your pain.

Those who don't have a very big load of work and don't have to do the extra work of their co-workers all the time, or their higher-up's workload dumped on them, they are lucky, they can easily say it's none of your business when the co-workers or the one as you mentioned go on sick leave.

Yeah, I agree with old fed saying: “talk to your boss/his boss about your workload concerns but stay away from things that do not concern you.” Hope there’s some good and fair higher-up in your company will listen to you and spread the workload to many of your co-workers, not just dump everything on you.

I’m lucky that I have a few higher-ups who listened to me. Those are higher than my direct leader who treated me very unfairly to the point I broke down and had to go for sick leave for a couple months. During that time I went to see my Doctor, my counselor, and talked to the higher-ups. I even reported to the Labor Department. They (the higher-ups at my company) investigated and even took some of my duties off and assigned those to somebody else.

At any workplace, there always are some people who work hard, some are lazy, some are honest, and some are cheating. Some people who work very hard, but what they get for reward is more work to do. And some are very tricky; they know how to sweet talk to the management and have less work to do, and they have plenty of time to go around to talk, gossip, and laugh. They don’t have any consideration for their co-workers.

If you are nice and soft and work hard, and don’t know how to sweet talk, some of your co-workers and some mean and corrupted leader/manager will bully you and take advantage of you. You have to learn to be assertive, be strong and speak up for yourself.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
What do I think? I think it's none of my business. I'll focus on my job. I'm thankful I have so much sick leave built up and have never had use it.
I think I'd wish my co-worker got well enough to come back.
We're always short staffed.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I feel your pain.

Those who don't have a very big load of work and don't have to do the extra work of their co-workers all the time, or their higher-up's workload dumped on them, they are lucky, they can easily say it's none of your business when the co-workers or the one as you mentioned go on sick leave.

Yeah, I agree with old fed saying: “talk to your boss/his boss about your workload concerns but stay away from things that do not concern you.” Hope there’s some good and fair higher-up in your company will listen to you and spread the workload to many of your co-workers, not just dump everything on you.

I’m lucky that I have a few higher-ups who listened to me. Those are higher than my direct leader who treated me very unfairly to the point I broke down and had to go for sick leave for a couple months. During that time I went to see my Doctor, my counselor, and talked to the higher-ups. I even reported to the Labor Department. They (the higher-ups at my company) investigated and even took some of my duties off and assigned those to somebody else.

At any workplace, there always are some people who work hard, some are lazy, some are honest, and some are cheating. Some people who work very hard, but what they get for reward is more work to do. And some are very tricky; they know how to sweet talk to the management and have less work to do, and they have plenty of time to go around to talk, gossip, and laugh. They don’t have any consideration for their co-workers.

If you are nice and soft and work hard, and don’t know how to sweet talk, some of your co-workers and some mean and corrupted leader/manager will bully you and take advantage of you. You have to learn to be assertive, be strong and speak up for yourself.
OP has brought up two issues. The first is the validity of the absence, the second is a workload issue. Absence may exacerbate wokload issues, but that is not a reason to question the validity of the absence, which anordinarycitizen does not.

We don’t know if OP is genuinely overworked, or simply the type of person who complains if their routine is upset. The unfortunate fact is that most workplaces are not staffed in such a way as to easily absorb absences and vacations. Most people see their workload increase when coworkers are gone.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:42 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
I would be appreciative of the fact that I don’t have a mental illness keeping me at home for 2 weeks. That would be pure hell, to not be able to function well enough to be at work helping out. It would be humiliating to know people had to pick up my slack and were complaining about me, suspicious of me.

I have a busy time of year at work, 3 months long, so 2 weeks would be nothing. Everyone has to work more or harder, for whatever reason. Some people accept it, some make it harder for everyone else by complaining the whole time.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:42 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
What do you think about someone who has a mental illness but doesnt take medication for it which results in 1-2 week absences at a time about once a year? Or once every other year?

Would you view it/treat it the same as someone whos out for a physical illness?

What if the employee were getting special priveleges like working from home because of this that no one else gets?

I'd say that the other employee is pretty childish and typical of the sort of envy and class warfare mentality fostered by power seekers in this country.

Every employee makes a private contract with his employer, subject to some general regulations of government. It is nobody's business what they agree upon within the law.

Do you want to live in a free country or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment