Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 06:11 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A federal appeals court dealt a blow to older workers Wednesday when it ruled that an important piece of the federal law barring age discrimination in employment applies only to current employees, not job applicants. The provision outlaws employment policies and practices with a “disparate impact” — actions that have the effect of discriminating based on age, even if that wasn't the employer’s intent.

The 8-4 ruling from the full U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals based in Chicago states that “Congress, while protecting employees from disparate impact age discrimination, did not extend that same protection to outside job applicants.” The decision reverses a 2-1 ruling last April from a smaller panel of the same court, which ruled that the law applies to “any individual” who is “deprived of employment opportunities” because of age, including job applicants.
https://www.aarp.org/work/working-at...yx3lu_GaLmvzfg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 06:44 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
its not a real blow...

A. its widely practiced
B. almost impossible to prove

Old 02-03-2019, 07:08 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
I disagree. It is a significant blow to all applicants. If you can discriminate based on age in hiring, then you can do so on the basis of race, gender, religion, disability, etc. large companies that have been held accountable of the basis of their overall hiring stats will not need to do this any longer.

This couldopen the door to ‘only whites need apply’ or ‘young women only’ for positions.

Do we really want to go back to the 1950s?

Old 02-03-2019, 08:36 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I disagree. It is a significant blow to all applicants.
Especially old white guys.

Good thing federal judges have a lifetime gig, with benefits, eh?

Old 02-03-2019, 08:42 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
BIG business continuing to bribe lawmakers in their favor. Experience, Value, etc. will cease to exist and business continue to be ran in the ground in favor of nickel and diming young more inexperienced workers. The end result EVERYONE loses since you can't run a very operational basis with no training, experience, education. So more layoffs will continue, businesses close because the expertise and experience has been kicked to the curb.

Some of us can speak firsthand on this. You cannot have functional companies if you kick all your experience out the door once they become "too expensive"

The race to the bottom continues

Old 02-03-2019, 08:54 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
I abhor discrimination, but its hardly a race to the bottom, as corp earnings are at record highs.

So quite frankly, their M.O. should be "more of the same".

I do not need to like it, to know it is working effectively for shareholders.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:40 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I abhor discrimination, but its hardly a race to the bottom, as corp earnings are at record highs.

So quite frankly, their M.O. should be "more of the same".

I do not need to like it, to know it is working effectively for shareholders.
I don’t see these things as related at all. A bigoted hiring manager could rationalize discriminatory hiring on the basis of increasing corporate profits even more, because equal hiring is depressing profits. We don’t need any evidence of this, simply a bias.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:56 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I don’t see these things as related at all. A bigoted hiring manager could rationalize discriminatory hiring on the basis of increasing corporate profits even more, because equal hiring is depressing profits. We don’t need any evidence of this, simply a bias.
I am not in favor of record earnings being an excuse to break the law, and I view this court ruling as an error to be remedied upon appeal to a higher court.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:58 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
It's a bit confusing to me, but from what I understand, this decision was only in regards to disparate impact cases, and not age discrimination in general.

An applicant could technically still have a case for age discrimination against a company, the ADEA still protects them, but not based on disparate impact. So a company can still legally state on job listings that the position requires no more than 5 years or so of experience. The individual that was the basis for the ruling lost his appeal when he tried to challenge a medical technology company that was looking for an in-house senior counsel with no more than seven years of experience (he was 58 at the time of application). The position eventually went to a 29 year old.

Now, to me, this ruling is hardly a blow. I've seen job ads in the past that had a certain range of experience they were looking for. All this ruling does is say that it's perfectly legal for companies to continue to do so, and to continue to not pursue applicants that exceed these restrictions. Obviously, many companies use this and other subtle methods in order to weed out older applicants and discriminate against them.

And many companies don't even have to do any of that. They can do in depth research online about an applicant's background on many of those people search sites that list an applicant's history and age, and then throw the old people's resumes in the trash. Or if the applicant somehow makes it to the interview, once the interviewer sees the grey hair and wrinkles, a few cursory questions and application goes in the trash can.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:01 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
And we are surprised because???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment