Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
This reminds me of when my colleague and I were flying out to call on customers. Once we were seated in economy, he asked the cabin crew if there were any first class seats unoccupied and if he could sit there. They agreed. So he took his carry on and tablet and went to sit in first class leaving his seat next to me in economy. Was this okay? No.
Why wasn't that "okay"?

I was on the same plane with several people I work with. I bumped myself to First. They all got to trudge past me while I sat there with a drink in my hand. So what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 12:10 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
It IS a big deal ! This struck a chord with me. Here's why.

This reminds me of when my colleague and I were flying out to call on customers. Once we were seated in economy, he asked the cabin crew if there were any first class seats unoccupied and if he could sit there. They agreed. So he took his carry on and tablet and went to sit in first class leaving his seat next to me in economy. Was this okay? No.

I think if you used your pass and left your colleagues behind to wait in line it would be highly inappropriate and disrespectful. You and your colleagues are travelling together. Board with them. Sit with them.
Why wasn't that okay?

AFAIC, that's a win/win. He got first class, you got an empty sit next to you.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:14 PM

407 posts, read 370,314 times
My husband and I both have Clear. I'm the only one with Global Entry. When we've had to travel on different itineraries in an airport without Clear, I ditch him at security for pre-check. I'd do the same with co-workers, no hesitation. When I've traveled for business with others, we'd always just meet at the gate. I remember one trip I had boarded already as had one co-worker. Our other co-worker came running onto the plane with minutes to spare (traffic or some such issue, can't recall why). Thought to myself at the time "Thank god we didn't wait for him at check-in!!"

Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Why wasn't that okay?

AFAIC, that's a win/win. He got first class, you got an empty sit next to you.

Right...I don't understand. People are so weird. I can understand your best friends or family doing it might upset you a little. But coworkers. Really?
I would love to know the mentality behind being upset about it. Sound very immature.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:51 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,690 times
The airlines give preferred treatment in all sorts of ways to their most frequent flyers.

There are separate check-in areas for Business and First Class passengers, separate lanes to security (different than Pre-Check, which is a TSA offering open to anyone with a pulse and ninety-five bucks), different upgrade methods and rules, even clubs open to travelers only with a certain elite status or in premium ticketed cabins.

I rarely travel with colleagues, but no one bats an eye if I use all of the goodies that the airline grants me, including the airport club, upgrades, premium check-in, and early boarding.

I will OCCASIONALLY gift club passes or upgrade certificates to colleagues, but the rationale in my business is the guy whose butt is in the actual seat most, gets to keep his benefits.

If you arrive at the airport together, I would just say, "see you at the destination!" Do your own thing, we are all individuals.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post

My boss now teases me about it, saying I like to brag to everyone that I have precheck (I swear I don’t brag!). He tells others to be prepared for me to ditch them for the precheck line. He says it in a joking manner, but you know what they say about jokes.
Joke back with him asking him why he can't afford 80 bucks to get pre check when he makes more money than you.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
your boss is a jerk and should not be making fun.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:06 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
To me it depends on if you are coming and going to the airport together, and if your seats were booked next to each other. If everyone is getting to and from the airport on their own, and has made their own travel arrangements with seats in different areas of the plane, then of course there is no reason to not go through security on your own.

But if you arrive at the airport with a work colleague or two, and then are going to be seated next to each other on the place (if corporate travel booked you that way), it seems odd to me to say ok, see ya! and walk away on your own, to get to the waiting area to meet back up again.

Although I will add that I'm not someone who flies enough to have precheck, so I'm not sure if they require you to go through that line if you have it? One time I was randomly assigned precheck on my ticket but hadn't noticed it, and when I got to the front of the security line, they made a bit of a fuss because I was in the wrong line. At least now I'm more careful about looking for it on my boarding pass before I get in line.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:14 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Why wasn't that OK? Were you planning to work with him on the plane? I guess I could see where you might think it was a dis against you, but he just wanted a better seat and more space. Personally I would have been relieved to have some alone time and an empty seat next to me.

I've traveled for work before, and at most, we just meet up at the gate (and more often, at the destination airport waiting for the hotel's shuttle). There's no actual expectation of seeing each other until we go to the customer's site or the conference. We don't drive or take the train to the airport together. Why would we go through security together?

Security checks aren't a social setting.

I am not picking on you but it sounded like you wanted to know why it wasn't okay with me.

I live by etiquette. Brought up with it. Etiquette (manners) exist the help us live amicably among with our fellow citizens, putting others at ease, and showing kindness and courtesy to others.

In my perception, my colleague breached that etiquette and gave hard feelings.

But judging by what the others posted, they would have reacted differently and that's okay too.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
I'd ditch them, mostly because my liquids aren't in one bag, I don't want to deal with the laptop, jacket, shoe thing. I would also have said, to my boss, "$85 for 5 years, get it and come join me!". Hell, I've said that to my co-workers now and they were shocked it was so cheap. I fly at minimum twice a year, but I know I fly those two so I got it so as not to get stuck in the long long lines.

If the line wasn't long and I had everything together, I might stay, just to chit chat with them. But otherwise, I'd just tell them I'll meet them at _____ (fitb).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment