Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,217 times

Advertisements

For the record, I am male which I am sure may seem surprising. But suffice to say I started a new job working in an office with mostly women, and for awhile now one of them has been making flirtatious comments. At first it seemed odd but not too bad saying things such as: "oh, do you work out?" "I bet you have some nice abs" "you look good in those jeans" etc etc.

But recently, she has upped the ante. She was talking with me and after we got done talking she slapped my butt with some papers she was carrying and just laughed and walked off. Still I didn't do anything, but most recently she asked me if I wanted to go out with here somewhere to maybe get a coffee or something, I told her no thanks but now when we talk she keeps bringing it up and despite telling her no over and over she doesn't take hint and the last time we talked which was today she came up behind me and gave me a big hug while kind of rubbing her hands on my chest. I told her to please stop and she continued saying "I am just kidding around" then I pulled away and she acted upset.

I told her blankly I am not interested and have a girlfriend to please stop but she continues.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Take it to H.R. and document everything. Do you have any witnesses?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:42 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Right here, straight from the horse's mouth, spelled out plainly and in logical order:

What You Should Know: What to Do if You Believe You Have Been Harassed at Work

Old 02-12-2019, 05:53 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Tell her she's acting creepy, you're not interested in her, you don't find her attractive.

Are you afraid of hurting her feelings?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:58 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
You need to take this to your supervisor.That person is being way inappropriate.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,217 times
I know about HR but being male I wonder if they'll take me seriously. I honestly didn't want to go through this whole ordeal but may have no choice.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Here a similar thread that started on 11/22/2017: city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/2851552-complimenting-womans-looks-harassment-asking-her.html.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
You should take it to your supervisor. Avoid HR. The odds of HR getting involved on the side of a man being sexually harassed are slim to none.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveren View Post
I know about HR but being male I wonder if they'll take me seriously. I honestly didn't want to go through this whole ordeal but may have no choice.
The link provided is correct. There is a process. Learn about it and find out what your company's policy on harassment is. They should have one. As you've already told the woman her behavior isn't welcome, your next stop IS your supervisor, not HR. You have to establish a record; a pattern of behavior and how you have made it clear it isn't welcome. Has anyone else witnessed it? See if you can get a statement from them too. She may treat others this way or have a prior history.

As long as this behavior meets the criteria (and it definitely does) your gender doesn't matter. There will always be cynics who will say you won't get anywhere because you are male, but what's to be gained if you let it continue? Nothing good. There's no excuse for this garbage and the woman should know it. Sometimes a supervisor or manager can start off with a less targeted action like broadcasting the company's policy on harassment to all employees or training all employees. Ironically I'd bet she would be first in line for justice if the tables were turned.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Is she like that with everyone/every male in the office or just you? I eouldspeak to your immediate supervisor or office manager (whoever is your immediate boss)
If that gets you nowhere, then move up the ladder.

If this is a small company and she has been there a long time...... It could simply be a case of a person who simply has no boundaries that everyone tolerates it because it may be Harmless Tina doing what she does. I’m not saying it’s right. Hey I was sexually harassed by a female boss/coworker. I think I was about 19. But we ended up doing the deed. But then this was a long time ago, I had no gf and I had no issue with doing what I did. No matter what my position was if you don’t want to be harassed regardless of your gender you should be able to report it and not have to put u with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment