Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Last year I was informed that the company would be eliminating bonuses for employees in certain positions, and mine was one of them. (I'm a copywriter.)

My boss said it has something to do with my position not directly generating/saving money for the company. At the time, whatever I would have gotten as a bonus was rolled into my salary, but that was a one-time thing.

At my review this year, I mentioned how I wasn't thrilled about it and she said that if I wanted to go into her boss's office and make my case, she'd support me. She says that as a copywriter I do have a hand in helping produce membership renewal materials that generate money, even though I wouldn't be able to give concrete numbers because it's really a shared effort between myself, a graphic designer, operations manager, and others.

My boss (who is at retirement age and seems to be floating retirement around more often these days) suggested that maybe my title should be changed.

I have, after all, been in the same position for nearly 7 and a half years.

I understand the company wanting to cut costs (they've also made changes to our insurance plans and other things), but it's discouraging when you know many of the people around you make more money to begin with based on their title/seniority, and they still get to keep their bonus while you lose yours. So now I only receive raises of 2-3% each year, at least for the time being.

I told my boss I was interested in having that conversation with her boss at some point. My guess is that this matter will end up in the Senior VP's hands. I remember my boss telling me years ago that when my predecessor in this position (who was only here for 3 years) pushed for some sort of promotion/title change, it didn't end well.

Losing the bonus has left me feeling a little demotivated, especially when I realized this morning that my boss and her boss told their subordinates behind closed doors how much bonus money they'd be receiving next month.

Is not getting the bonus going to cripple me financially? No. But it doesn't feel great, honestly. And I guess I'm reluctant to have the conversation because if nothing changes, I'll probably be tempted to move on.

I have been looking/interviewing for positions sparingly over the past few years with other companies, but the fact I don't have much stress, don't work weekends, and I can leave when I want for appointments, etc. is hard to give up.

Has anyone been in a similar boat? Any suggestions?
It’s a BONUS. It was never designed to be your pay. That’s why it’s called a bonus.

My suggestion

Stay and work there

Or

Go,look for another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 01:56 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
It's especially discouraging when you consider that people who have only been working in my company/department for 2 or 3 years are going to continue getting their bonus, while I've been here for almost 8 and no longer receive mine.

Maybe the best time to have the conversation with upper management will be once I've decided that I'm willing to walk. If it doesn't pan out, I'll feel like I didn't have anything to lose because I wanted to leave anyway.
It sounds like they might be "hungry" and you're not? You said this: "but the fact I don't have much stress, don't work weekends, and I can leave when I want for appointments, etc. is hard to give up."

Most bonuses are performance based.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:05 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Bonus? What's a bonus?

Old 02-28-2019, 03:43 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Last year I was informed that the company would be eliminating bonuses for employees in certain positions, and mine was one of them. (I'm a copywriter.)

My boss said it has something to do with my position not directly generating/saving money for the company. At the time, whatever I would have gotten as a bonus was rolled into my salary, but that was a one-time thing.
Their reason is complete nonsense. People who work in companies who work in the mail room get a bonus and other additional compensation than a base salary.

The is a huge red flag. Update your resume and find another company at work at. There is no way you should have to go in there and make a case for something you should be getting without a fuss. I know many people who work in ad agencies who do things like copy righting and marketing, and they all get a bonus. Just look at Glassdoor for other companies and the job titles.

This is bad management, and they undervalue your contribution, so you should look for a better place to work, because almost any of them out there in your field will pay a bonus. It has nothing to do if you can afford to live without it or not, it is a matter of what this represents.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It sounds like they might be "hungry" and you're not? You said this: "but the fact I don't have much stress, don't work weekends, and I can leave when I want for appointments, etc. is hard to give up."

Most bonuses are performance based.
But they are also based on the performance of the company, not just the individual worker.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
So I guess this company did not get the memo that companies are so thrilled with the tax cuts, they are all giving bonuses!

Must have been a show for the first year. Back to corporate buybacks.

And for all those claiming bonuses do not exist--they do. But more in certain fields than others. Law firms often use bonuses as an incentive or as a complement to salaries. So rather than getting huge raises, you get a bonus. Not unusual.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:04 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s a BONUS. It was never designed to be your pay. That’s why it’s called a bonus.

My suggestion

Stay and work there

Or

Go,look for another job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Bonus? What's a bonus?

These.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:10 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
This is a pay cut. Why are you assuming a new job would be a worse situation than you have now?

Old 02-28-2019, 04:23 PM

48 posts, read 29,384 times
Are bonuses like tips? Everyone now expects one?

Old 02-28-2019, 04:27 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyW View Post
Are bonuses like tips? Everyone now expects one?
A lot of people don't get bonuses. But if you've always received bonuses in the past and then they stop, it means a pay cut. Same thing for 401(k) matches. Those are pretty common and they're the exact same thing as a bonus. If you lose your match, you've had a pay cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment