Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 PM

4,995 posts, read 2,728,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch100000 View Post
Are you sure if the other employee has been penalized by losing her direct reports and losing her work from home priveledges? Thats pretty substantial slap on the hands.

If she was posting on here, you may be saying the same thing to her if she was complaining about losing all her employees and no longer being able to use the company flex work schedule.

Im 50/50 of them not being on my side vs simply them not wanting to deal with drama.

But, i also wonder if i should quit before 4/15 since i can financially afford it, to avoid having to answer if i have ever been terminated.
I stand by my initial comment. The company took you back but are only letting you work from home and you are not allowed to come into the office. You are being "quarantined" from your co-workers. It is a strange situation. I don't think that you should trust your management. I think that you are being set up for a fall. They are not treating you as a valued employee. Of course, you are able to see your situation better but this is my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 PM

7,389 posts, read 4,172,731 times
I wouldn't quit before 4/15. If they fire you, you can at least collect unemployment benefits.

Human Resources only job is to protect the company from lawsuits. They aren't there to make things fair or right. They aren't siding with you. They are only going to prevent you from suing your company for unfair work practices.

Find another job. If you don't, let them fire you and collect.

Btw, If you break your lease: if the landlord finds a replacement tenant, they usually let you go. If it takes them a month to find a new tenant, you may have to pay for that month. Usually, it works out fine.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:24 PM

52 posts, read 29,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I stand by my initial comment. The company took you back but are only letting you work from home and you are not allowed to come into the office. You are being "quarantined" from your co-workers. It is a strange situation. I don't think that you should trust your management. I think that you are being set up for a fall. They are not treating you as a valued employee. Of course, you are able to see your situation better but this is my view.
I agree that I am being treated poorly.

I did just talk to my buddy on the team and he says they havent been interviewing for my replacement. So, I dont really get the end game on their end.

I am the only one that can complete the project due in april and it will have alot of follow up work. The last project i had of this kind, i worked an additional month on follow up request.

Then there is a project in June that is due, that I am once again the only person in the office that can do this type of work.

you would think they would be interviewing or some how hedging their bets here. it feels like they are just crossing their fingers and hoping i do a good job on the project and actually do it. since they arent even checking in lol.

I wouldnt have blind faith in an employee who has been banished from the office like this. id want to check to see what he is doing . so i dont get it

Old 03-12-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I agree that I am being treated poorly.

I did just talk to my buddy on the team and he says they havent been interviewing for my replacement. So, I dont really get the end game on their end.

I am the only one that can complete the project due in april and it will have alot of follow up work. The last project i had of this kind, i worked an additional month on follow up request.

Then there is a project in June that is due, that I am once again the only person in the office that can do this type of work.

you would think they would be interviewing or some how hedging their bets here. it feels like they are just crossing their fingers and hoping i do a good job on the project and actually do it. since they arent even checking in lol.

I wouldnt have blind faith in an employee who has been banished from the office like this. id want to check to see what he is doing . so i dont get it
It is a strange situation. Some managements don't have their marbles straight in their head. Be careful.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 PM

7,389 posts, read 4,172,731 times
Quote:
It is a strange situation. Some managements don't have their marbles straight in their head. Be careful.
Or the company hired a professional recruiter who is interviewing replacement for them. Recruiters look for employee without saying what company they are working for.

It is a very strange situation.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Or the company hired a professional recruiter who is interviewing replacement for them. Recruiters look for employee without saying what company they are working for.

It is a very strange situation.
Agreed. A definite possibility with them using an outside recruiter. That way, the OP will not know that a replacement is being sought and can work calmly, undisturbed, and productively until the axe falls.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 AM

388 posts, read 201,491 times
be sure you dont do this sort of thing in your next job.

it was wishy-washy to quit and then get your job back, but the first necessitated the second. it wouldnt have, if youd been less impulsive.

now, youre trying to navigate this weird situation, but you dont sound committed to either outcome. ok if thats just this, but in your next job-- plan things better and commit more. you sound like you work for a terrible company, but im not sure what to think of you as an employee, either. this is said to be helpful, if it doesnt apply to you-- great!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:49 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,132,388 times
Quote:
Agreed. A definite possibility with them using an outside recruiter. That way, the OP will not know that a replacement is being sought and can work calmly, undisturbed, and productively until the axe falls.
If it's too big a project where 1 person is not enough, they can send it to India.

At a previous company, they put half the team on PIP's over 6-7 months. No new openings were posted on company website, as people were let go.

Then, they announced a new contract with Cognizant for 10 employees in India. They told the rest of to document our projects in detail over the next 6 weeks. Our projects would transition to the India team. There still no new postings on company website.

Last edited by move4ward; 03-13-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 09:37 AM

52 posts, read 29,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicjson View Post
be sure you dont do this sort of thing in your next job.

it was wishy-washy to quit and then get your job back, but the first necessitated the second. it wouldnt have, if youd been less impulsive.

now, youre trying to navigate this weird situation, but you dont sound committed to either outcome. ok if thats just this, but in your next job-- plan things better and commit more. you sound like you work for a terrible company, but im not sure what to think of you as an employee, either. this is said to be helpful, if it doesnt apply to you-- great!
i know i made a stupid mistake and put myself in an unneccessary rough situation.

Im not really commited to working things out with my current company, because they still havent taken this persons workload off me while I have been "banished". This isnt an insignificant amount of work either. This is probaby 75% of her actual work responsibilities.

Personally, I feel it is extremely poor of the company to not have clear role definitions that would allow for something like this to happen. someone shouldnt be able to just magically push THIS much work on someone else, because there should be more clear role definitions to start off with.

then it is also extremely poor of the company that when i complained, they legitimately didnt know who was doing what....

we are billing the client for hundreds and hundreds of hours of work. and you cant tell me who is doign what?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:49 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
i know i made a stupid mistake and put myself in an unneccessary rough situation.

Im not really commited to working things out with my current company, because they still havent taken this persons workload off me while I have been "banished". This isnt an insignificant amount of work either. This is probaby 75% of her actual work responsibilities.
They don't want to change.

Frankly, if I'd been in your position, after I quit (and I think I would have the same way, just sooner), if they tried to get me to stick around until a certain date, i'd only agree if it was doing MY work, and not someone else's.

Right now they're A) busy looking for your replacement or figuring out how to do without you; and/or B) viewing you as a scull. You quit, but didn't quit, and are still doing all the work for no more money, so they have even less respect for you now than they did before. They may let the 15th come and go with no change... just keep sending you all of the work for no more money.

But this is why when things turn south, you try to talk and fix it immediately... if that doesn't work, you look for another job and then quit before things reach a point where you blow up and then try to walk it back. When I resign a position, it's because I'm already done. I've agreed to work an extra week or so beyond the two weeks, but that's it. I've had people moan about "How are we supposed to get this done without you?", and my response was, "You should have thought of that when I came to you, told you about the problems, and proposed my solution, and you decided to do nothing."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment