Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 3,408 times

Advertisements

I work first shift but was sent to work at nights to train people. Was told just couple of weeks but its been 3 months. Its hard for me to adjust especially my neighbors house is under construction. I hear a lot of noises. Anyways Someone took a photo of me nodding or should i say i was very sleepy. Can i fight this? Tia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:38 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
You can fight it all you want, but unless you have some underlying medical issue, it's up to the employer how to deal with this.

At-will state, remember?

Can I Fire an Employee for Sleeping on the Job?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,211,543 times
Deny deny deny. Say your were just blinking your eyes.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You can fight it all you want, but unless you have some underlying medical issue, it's up to the employer how to deal with this.

At-will state, remember?

[URL="https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=0e572159-62f7-4002-b08d-4a817fd64ef2"]Can I Fire an Employee for Sleeping on the Job?[/URL]
Thanks a lot.. Appreciate it. Im not yet fired. But i might be. 2 new people in a position trying to make their name look good. Didnt even went to my 1st shift supervisor and manager. Went straight to HR.. Sad thing we all did the same **** before those got promoted.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:28 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee0215 View Post
I work first shift but was sent to work at nights to train people. Was told just couple of weeks but its been 3 months. Its hard for me to adjust especially my neighbors house is under construction. I hear a lot of noises.
Address the noise solution head-on. Use a fan or background sound masking to cover up the noise when you're at home trying to sleep. Look on YouTube for sound masking - various different sounds - 8, 9, 10 hours long. Possibly move to another room to sleep in that might be quieter. Use disposable foam earplugs (they work great and mute sounds wonderfully). Just make sure your alarm is extra loud.

Also maybe use Vivarin or other caffeine tablet "supplements" to help give yourself a perk. You can even break them in half to better control the boost. I think you're situation can be brought under control.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:35 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,770,638 times
There are very good white-noise/background noise generators for iOS and Android; those with some comfortable ear buds would probably help with the sleeping. There are also many ways to get into a solid sleep cycle by watching the timing of caffeine and alcohol intake. (Alcohol to get you to sleep can cause you to "bounce" awake a few hours later, when the soporific effect wears off. You wake up partially rested and it can be a bratch to get back to sleep. Don't use alcohol to get to sleep, or be very moderate so the bounce effect is minimal.)

As for nodding off, try to find a way to really close your eyes and relax for a minute or two when you can - in the bathroom, on break, any time you aren't actually supposed to "be working." It can help.

I've always been prone to a dull hour in the mid-afternoon and if I'm even a little sleep-deprived, can blink out for a minute. The "micro-nap" technique helped me a lot.

OTOH, it's been a standard part of my work process to close my eyes and visualize a next creative step. I've had some amusing (and not-so) incidents with co-workers and bosses who thought I was zoning out...

Old 03-19-2019, 01:24 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,644,023 times
Let your 1st shift manager/supervisor know basically what you've posted here, "I am concerned because I am finding the second shift hours a little tough. I thought it would be for a few weeks but it has been over 3 months and it is taking a toll on me. I'm more of day person which is one of the reasons, I enjoy my job here working 1st shift. Do you have a timeframe for me to return to 1st shift again?" If they are vague, you could say something like, "In that case, I will take steps to assure that I am at my peak (best, or whatever) for the second shift since I've noticed how tired I am while working this shift."

Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There are very good white-noise/background noise generators for iOS and Android; those with some comfortable ear buds would probably help with the sleeping. There are also many ways to get into a solid sleep cycle by watching the timing of caffeine and alcohol intake. (Alcohol to get you to sleep can cause you to "bounce" awake a few hours later, when the soporific effect wears off. You wake up partially rested and it can be a bratch to get back to sleep. Don't use alcohol to get to sleep, or be very moderate so the bounce effect is minimal.)

As for nodding off, try to find a way to really close your eyes and relax for a minute or two when you can - in the bathroom, on break, any time you aren't actually supposed to "be working." It can help.

I've always been prone to a dull hour in the mid-afternoon and if I'm even a little sleep-deprived, can blink out for a minute. The "micro-nap" technique helped me a lot.

OTOH, it's been a standard part of my work process to close my eyes and visualize a next creative step. I've had some amusing (and not-so) incidents with co-workers and bosses who thought I was zoning out...
Good day! Thats what exactly happened.. I closed my eyes to relax and someone took a photo. Now im on suspension and waiting. But if i get called at HR i want video as proof.. Because photo has a lot of representation. I know for a fact that i didnt close my eyes for morethan 30 seconds.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Let your 1st shift manager/supervisor know basically what you've posted here, "I am concerned because I am finding the second shift hours a little tough. I thought it would be for a few weeks but it has been over 3 months and it is taking a toll on me. I'm more of day person which is one of the reasons, I enjoy my job here working 1st shift. Do you have a timeframe for me to return to 1st shift again?" If they are vague, you could say something like, "In that case, I will take steps to assure that I am at my peak (best, or whatever) for the second shift since I've noticed how tired I am while working this shift."
thank you for this advice.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:30 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,890,884 times
F*** them. Definitely fight at unemployment since it's a material shift change and completely reasonable you would be sleepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment