Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:32 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd verify that information before proceeding any further. All we have here is "I was just reading about..." with no source and no references.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/15/b...ina/index.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...-productivity/

OP probably assumed everyone's following the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 10:01 PM

4,965 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Oh, I guess we have some references now. Well done GoodHombre.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:21 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As I understand it, 996 is 9am-9pm, 6 days a week. 12/12/8 would be noon-midnight (maybe midnight-noon?) 8 days a week.

Obviously we are using different nomenclature here.
A 996 is a Porsche.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:38 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,484,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As I understand it, 996 is 9am-9pm, 6 days a week. 12/12/8 would be noon-midnight (maybe midnight-noon?) 8 days a week.

Obviously we are using different nomenclature here.
Yes, definitely different nomenclature. I thought 996 was referring to the number of hours per day.

My 12/12/8 refers to this:
M-F - at least 12 hours/day - 7am-7pm
Saturday or Sunday - at least 8 hours/day - 9am-5pm

Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
A 996 is a Porsche.
If you are an employee, 996 is a Porche and a divorce and/or a wrecked health for yourself, or is a few Porches, mansions, a big yacht and a big bank account for your boss (when he has thousands of employees willing or being forced to work 996)

Old 04-28-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
If you are an employee, 996 is a Porche and a divorce and/or a wrecked health for yourself, or is a few Porches, mansions, a big yacht and a big bank account for your boss (when he has thousands of employees willing or being forced to work 996)
Gotta be sure that the boss has those Porches, yacht, and the big money. We can't be selfish can we?

Old 04-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Gotta be sure that the boss has those Porches, yacht, and the big money. We can't be selfish can we?
Even when you have a broken family and bad health because you work so much, don't have time for your family and take care of yourself. And if you die, your boss will give you a nice eulogy. LOL

For me, no way for 996. I need and want a work and personal life balance.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Even when you have a broken family and bad health because you work so much, don't have time for your family and take care of yourself. And if you die, your boss will give you a nice eulogy. LOL

For me, no way for 996. I need and want a work and personal life balance.
Personal life balance = bad work ethic

At least that's what a lot of companies believe and put their employees on guilt trips about it. And being paid for overtime work? Are you kidding? That's not being interested in your job! And that is not being a team player either!

In one of my first IT jobs when I started, one of my managers told me that this is an exciting place to work at, where you don't come in at 8am and leave at 5pm. No! No! No! Things are happening here!

Of course, I didn't get paid for the extra time that I worked. That would have been indecent. So I nicknamed that company "The Happenin' Place". I worked at that crazy company for more than 3 years before I ran out of there. But I jumped from one frying pan into another. I jumped 3 times in my IT career, each time into a new frying pan. Now I am retired and live in peace with plenty of personal life balance and no frying pans. LOL!

Old 04-28-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Personal life balance = bad work ethic

At least that's what a lot of companies believe and put their employees on guilt trips about it. And being paid for overtime work? Are you kidding? That's not being interested in your job! And that is not being a team player either!

In one of my first IT jobs when I started, one of my managers told me that this is an exciting place to work at, where you don't come in at 8am and leave at 5pm. No! No! No! Things are happening here!

Of course, I didn't get paid for the extra time that I worked. That would have been indecent. So I nicknamed that company "The Happenin' Place". I worked at that crazy company for more than 3 years before I ran out of there. But I jumped from one frying pan into another. I jumped 3 times in my IT career, each time into a new frying pan. Now I am retired and live in peace with plenty of personal life balance and no frying pans. LOL!
LOL. I like reading your posts. I'm not arguing with you. From what you wrote (if it was true, and I believe you told the truth), I learned that you worked hard and you had a great tolerance, or you had to tolerate to earn money though. I'm glad for you that you now have peace and can enjoy your retirement, and you still work sometimes. Good for you.

But I see plenty of people can manage to have work/personal life balance and they have no problems with their boss. I, for one, feel lucky that I don't have to work 996. I would not and will never want to. If the boss pays lots of money for overtime, then that's good. But sometimes, even money cannot compensate for your health. I still have many years to work until retirement. But if any bad things happens at work, I won't be homeless.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
LOL. I like reading your posts. I'm not arguing with you. From what you wrote (if it was true, and I believe you told the truth), I learned that you worked hard and you had a great tolerance, or you had to tolerate to earn money though. I'm glad for you that you now have peace and can enjoy your retirement, and you still work sometimes. Good for you.

But I see plenty of people can manage to have work/personal life balance and they have no problems with their boss. I, for one, feel lucky that I don't have to work 996. I would not and will never want to. If the boss pays lots of money for overtime, then that's good. But sometimes, even money cannot compensate for your health. I still have many years to work until retirement. But if any bad things happens at work, I won't be homeless.
Thank you, I try to be entertaining in my posts whenever I can. LOL! It was the money that kept me going in my IT jobs. Even though I endured abuse, I was paid very well for it. In the last 16 years or so of my IT career I was well overpaid for my position so that cushioned the blow even further. I was also very risk averse, only jumping into new jobs when I absolutely had to. I managed to stay in my last IT job for 28 years. Luckily my health didn't suffer and I am still in one piece.

Perhaps being a former abused child also helped me endure the nonsense of the IT world. At least you didn't get punched at work and you got paid for the abuse that there was. I was able to roll off that abuse quite easily since I was experienced at it, and became a good "yes man" and never a complainer or a slacker.

I also had something to prove since childhood. Early in my life, certain family members had predetermined for me that I would never be a success at anything, simply because I was shy. I had to prove them wrong and I did, above my expectations. It was a pleasure to watch them become first surprised, then angry, and then enraged when not only had I succeeded, but outperformed them as well in terms of monetary earnings and then turned from shyness into smugness. It is still mind boggling for me to understand how otherwise rational people could make a mistake in making a prediction of a lack of success based on shyness alone. But that is another story.

So now I am retired and enjoying life to its fullest and that nonsense is in the past. I'm glad that there are people like yourself and others who work for civilized companies and have a good work/life balance. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment