Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 AM

28 posts, read 11,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Ar du Svensk or Finsk?
How is this relevant may i ask? I appreciate ur Swedish skills but plz stay on the topic. So tired of feeding trolls on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 08:03 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Its going to vary by state. In my state they are employees of the state judicial branch, so that's where you would look for openings and apply. I'm not sure that every state even has paid GALs though. There are also volunteer GALs that fill some of the need https://casaforchildren.org/ I've considered volunteering to to get the experience for the paid positions (you may already qualify) but CASA requires too long of a time commitment for volunteers. Which is understandable, they don't want to be changing advocates on kids who are in the middle of bad situations.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:46 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplandgirl View Post
Hello. I’ ve just got a useless law degree. Thankfully got free ride. I dont plan to sit for the bar exam because i realized i dont want to be an attorney or practice law even if you paid me one million. My undergrad was major in english and french, minor in advertising. 10 years of fashion modeling under my belt, but obviously not a superstar, although i love fashion and apparel industries. I thought of acting but i have an accent. I play some decent piano but not a virtuoso. I Was thinking about moving overseas and working somewhere in a us embassy or consulate, perhaps as a fraud investigator or maybe a womens rights advisor in UN or the like. I speak four languages and pick them up fast ( i guess my lingustics background helps). Please advise on a career path. I have dual citizenship and in my early 30s. Five kids ( i love children). My problem is i am not entrepreneural. How do i develop this trait?
You can't get a UN job without having done an internship or two with them, which is usually done though a related university degree program.

Use your minor in advertising to try to get into marketing for the fashion industry. You already have industry contacts, presumably. Perhaps you could go back to school to get an actual marketing degree. Why did you go for a law degree, btw, if your interests were in fashion and advertising?

Are you a US citizen? Why are you assuming you could work for a US embassy at all, let alone as a fraud investigator? Usually, you need a degree in political science or some kind of area studies degree (Asian, Latin America, Russia & East Europe, that kind of thing) to get a good embassy or consulate job.

It doesn't sound like you've done any planning for your degree choices or future. You need to realistically evaluate your background, and figure out how to make the most of the experience you already have, and go from there.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-16-2019 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplandgirl;55433962[B
]How does having to take care of five kids might fit into this equation? I would need to outsource that to someone else, whom i may not trust. I need a job with a work life balance for sure [/b]that would at the same time utilize my other strengths and faculties. I applied for some random jobs just for the heck of it - got denied everywhere ( im talking garment sorter at a fashion retailer warehouse center)��
You wouldn't trust others to do childcare/daycare for you? What, then, is your definition of "work-life balance"? It sounds like you want a job that allows you to stay home to look after your kids. That's not going to happen.

Could you clarify what your expectations are, with this "work-life balance" thing? And where are you currently living?

Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 PM

740 posts, read 457,023 times
Quote:
I “ dropped” my family status because of work-life balance that would be required in my future career. For example, I could never do BIGLAW or go into the medical field. Alternatively, I would appreciate if someone could give me tips about becoming more entrepreneurial and maybe starting my own business because I agree its enough useless schooling for me. Im ENFP.

Most of the people I know just jump into it. Others did it because they had no choice, no job offers. Some did it because they hate their current jobs. Others do it because it's something that they have always wanted to do. For me, I always hated working for someone else. I hate to put my life in the hands of other people. It takes courage to be a business owner, entrepreneur, or self-employed because the money is not guaranteed. You end up paying everyone else before you can get paid.

My education has very little to do with my business. I have a degree in education. But over the years I learn how to run a business. Not all entrepreneurs are rich and living that great life. Often times I make the same or sometimes even less money than when I was employed. The only difference is I don't take orders from anyone and I can work when I want to work and I can show up to my office when I want to show up...that's it.

It is best to find something that you are passionate about when going into business because if you aren't enjoying it, it's easy to quit, especially when the money is not coming in and the expenses are through the roof. An employee does not have expenses, an entrepreneur does. But make sure whatever you are passionate about can translate into making money. And be realistic about it. Like your experience, not every model becomes a superstar making millions and be married to an NFL Quarterback.

An entrepreneur is in SALES. Let me repeat that...It is SALES. You don't sell, you don't make money. Say it one more time....it is SALES. Before jumping into business, I suggest you go buy or go to the library and read up on current books about business, entrepreneur, marketing, and sales.

Next, you have to decide what do you want to sell? Product or Service?

1) Product requires resources, creativity, materials, manpower, and manufacturer, etc.

2) Services require knowledge, licensing, regulations, and lots and lots of paperwork, etc.

Obviously, Products costs money and a lot of money to jump start it. Services is cheaper, it just requires knowledge. Certain knowledge can be easily obtained, others may require you to go back to college. Once you determined what you want to sell. Do your research to see if you have competition in your area or areas you want to sell and if you do, what do you need to do to gain clients/customers. Also, determine if you want to sell locally or nationally. If you want to sell through a store/office or online. Before going live, ask friends, family, and random strangers if you have a certain product or service, would they buy? If people don't buy your products or service, you aren't an entrepreneur.

Most business fails because they lack capital/money to keep them going until they gain enough customers to make a profit. Second reason business fails is the lack of understanding about Marketing. Marketing is crucial to your business. People can't buy from you if they don't even know you are. Finally, business fails because they don't know how to close the deal. They don't know how to sell. All entrepreneurs do is SELL their products or services. If you can not convince people to buy, you don't make any money. There is so much more but it'll take forever to explain everything. Plus, if I feed you everything, it wouldn't do you any good. You must have the drive to find the answers yourself if you want to be an entrepreneur.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:34 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
Go to Johnson O' Connor. They do exactly what you need, help people find their calling. I've done it and it was very insightful and I believe to be accurate for me. In addition to the hands on aptitude testing they have master degreed career counselors who review your results, talk to you, and make suggestions. Add on that they have done this for tens of thousands of people and have a wealth of information and data from which to draw:

https://www.jocrf.org/

Old 06-16-2019, 01:08 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
I Was thinking about moving overseas and working somewhere in a us embassy or consulate, perhaps as a fraud investigator or maybe a womens rights advisor in UN or the like.
Quote:
Why is everyone acting as if i said i have 5 heads, yes i have a husband. Because of his job we cant move anywhere. Its a very high cost of living locale. Besides, after kids grow up and dont need me anymore i dont want to have a middle life crisis , i want something for myself, something that is my own thta would keep me balanced in older age.
Your first post you said you wanted to move. THEN you wrote because of his job you can't move anywhere

It is not adding up...

Old 06-16-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Your first post you said you wanted to move. THEN you wrote because of his job you can't move anywhere

It is not adding up...
Well, the idea was that my current career situation became SO unbearable for me that I was even considering taking three smaller babies with me for the overseas service and older children could stay with my husband in the US becauseMy husband is tied due to his position. There were several episodes in our life where we used to live separately for som time due to work or travel.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Its going to vary by state. In my state they are employees of the state judicial branch, so that's where you would look for openings and apply. I'm not sure that every state even has paid GALs though. There are also volunteer GALs that fill some of the need https://casaforchildren.org/ I've considered volunteering to to get the experience for the paid positions (you may already qualify) but CASA requires too long of a time commitment for volunteers. Which is understandable, they don't want to be changing advocates on kids who are in the middle of bad situations.
I see. I have to look into this. i dont mind some volunteering to get my sfoot in the door. Although this job seems pretty demanding on your time and schedule. Understandably, you need to give your best effort and fully commit to ensure well- being of these infortunate children.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can't get a UN job without having done an internship or two with them, which is usually done though a related university degree program.

Use your minor in advertising to try to get into marketing for the fashion industry. You already have industry contacts, presumably. Perhaps you could go back to school to get an actual marketing degree. Why did you go for a law degree, btw, if your interests were in fashion and advertising?

Are you a US citizen? Why are you assuming you could work for a US embassy at all, let alone as a fraud investigator? Usually, you need a degree in political science or some kind of area studies degree (Asian, Latin America, Russia & East Europe, that kind of thing) to get a good embassy or consulate job.

It doesn't sound like you've done any planning for your degree choices or future. You need to realistically evaluate your background, and figure out how to make the most of the experience you already have, and go from there.
I assumed the US law degree would be pretty portable or provide me an opportunity to practice independently when push comes to shove so that I would not have to depend on the whims of an employer. Im talking sexism, ageism, family status discrimination and the like. I further asuumed that a multilingual US citizen with a law degree and multicultural international background would be an asset for government work overseas. The field of political science is very close to the legal field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment