Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 AM

943 posts, read 3,335,098 times

Advertisements

It was reposted Nov. 28 and I'm considering sending out a follow up email reiterating my interest in the position to the managers and/or VPs. I interviewed for the position back in October and didn't get the position but from what I remember, the managers really liked me and appeared to be eager to get me on. Is this a bit unethical or as my friend would call it "not kosher"? Has this anyone ever succeeded doing this?

I know it's a shot in the dark but I really want this job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:02 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I feel just as "annoyed" as you do with a similar situation. I applied for a position with New York Life to sell insurance via an ad they had posted on the Pittsburgh CraigsList. Less than a week later a recruiter contacted me back and said they'd love to schedule me for an interview and to let them know when I'd be available. I did just that. This was over two weeks ago now, and they've been reposting the same ad on CraigsList ever since, with an additional disclaimer saying "Serious inquiries only---our time and yours is too valuable to waste." They certainly didn't mind wasting my time with the feigned interest, now did they? I have a much lower opinion now of New York Life because of this.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I feel just as "annoyed" as you do with a similar situation. I applied for a position with New York Life to sell insurance via an ad they had posted on the Pittsburgh CraigsList. Less than a week later a recruiter contacted me back and said they'd love to schedule me for an interview and to let them know when I'd be available. I did just that. This was over two weeks ago now, and they've been reposting the same ad on CraigsList ever since, with an additional disclaimer saying "Serious inquiries only---our time and yours is too valuable to waste." They certainly didn't mind wasting my time with the feigned interest, now did they? I have a much lower opinion now of New York Life because of this.
So they never responded back to confirm the interview date? How unprofessional. That's crazy considering that they're ALWAYS searching for new agents.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:22 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
It was reposted Nov. 28 and I'm considering sending out a follow up email reiterating my interest in the position to the managers and/or VPs. I interviewed for the position back in October and didn't get the position but from what I remember, the managers really liked me and appeared to be eager to get me on. Is this a bit unethical or as my friend would call it "not kosher"? Has this anyone ever succeeded doing this?

I know it's a shot in the dark but I really want this job.
I don't see how this would be unethical. You applied for the job and didn't get it. They are still trying to fill it.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:30 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
So they never responded back to confirm the interview date? How unprofessional. That's crazy considering that they're ALWAYS searching for new agents.
Exactly. Why tell a candidate you're very interested in scheduling them for an interview, receive correspondence back from that candidate with the best possible times to interview, and then never follow-up with the candidate after that? As I said I used to have a much higher opinion of New York Life before this occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't see how this would be unethical. You applied for the job and didn't get it. They are still trying to fill it.
I can see both of your perspectives here. Obviously if the position was reposted, then KMG1 didn't receive positive consideration, but, at the same time, why not at least tell her that you've chosen to go in a different direction with a different candidate with skills/expertise more commensurate with the position they are trying to fill?

I hate how employers now think that just because we're in a horrible recession with no signs of abating that they can treat prospective candidates like peons. It takes all of five seconds to e-mail a generic "Thanks, but no thanks" response that would quell someone who is sitting, quite literally, on pins and needles wondering if they've been considered or not.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:44 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Why does anyone think a company has any reponsibility to tell you what they are doing. You apply and if they want to hire you they tell you. if they say nothing, so be it get over it and move on. Companies like NY Life have never stopped hiring insurance agents and you can apply anytime anywhere and the ads will always appear someplece sometime or another. They troll for employeess and even if you are being considered, those ads will always show up. If you think they had one opening, boy do you needs some understanding of their employment. And that ad probably ahd nothing to do with you because you were one of 10,000 they were dealing with. Try contacting the recruiter again as a follow up because youtr info may have been misplaced with the thousand of others who wasted their time.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
You need to change your thinking when it comes to applying and interviewing. The truth, professional of employers or not, is that if they are interested they will make you an offer. Sitting around and waiting is not going to make it happen. Apply and move on. If they call for an interview great. Interview and keep right on applying. If they re-post a position after you interview that is a clear indicator that they are not interested in hiring you. Move on.

It may sound harsh, but that is kind of how you have to look at job hunting. Stressing yourself out does not help you to get a job.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 AM

Oh I did receive the generic email stating that they decided to pursue other candidates, I took that as them going with another candidate for the position but apparently the position hasn't been filled, and I'm one of those persistent people that goes after what she wants.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Quote:
Oh I did receive the generic email stating that they decided to pursue other candidates, I took that as them going with another candidate for the position but apparently the position hasn't been filled, and I'm one of those persistent people that goes after what she wants.
Trying to be gentle here. They are not interested in hiring you.

The position has not been filled because they have not found the right person. Often it has less to to with your skill set & experience and more to do with your personality.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
I'm curious as to where exactly you think the unethical part comes in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment