Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:57 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I've never emotionally blown up, but I was clearly on my way out at my last employer. Within five months, I was placed on a PIP, and was likely going to lose my job, but fortunately found another before then.

I turned in my notice and let HR and my manager's manager know that I felt like I never had a chance. My manager's manager was hired after me, and noticed a lot of the issues. My team members and immediate manager offered no support or willingness to show me anything. I came in my last day and simply handed my keys to the HR manager and walked out the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 10:17 AM

329 posts, read 236,759 times
Never burn Bridges, ever. Its a small world and you never know how people from your past can suddenly be part of your future.

I've had people treat me horribly, the worst possible way that I professionally would ever want to be treated but I bit my tongue as was always polite and helpful (within reason).. even on the day it resulted a layoff.

Though they have burned the bridge with me and if I was ever in a position to hire them or not, I wouldn't bc I now know their character, they.. and more importantly, the company.... have no reason to feel the same for me...

Old 07-01-2019, 04:45 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Generally no unless you want to go back to the employer you already left, but why would you leave a quality employer? They are very hard to come by these days. And if its lousy why go back? Crappy companies and work environments, rarely if ever change for the better
Depends on your field. I work in a pretty narrow area of technical expertise, and even in the greater LA area, I run into the same people constantly. One's reputation is a worthwhile asset to maintain.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:37 PM

4,862 posts, read 2,674,972 times
like the old saying goes..."never burn a bridge you might have to go back across"

Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Also, if I do something really dumb and I get fired. I apply at a different location and they see where I worked before. 100% chance they will call their friend, ex classmate, ex manager etc and ask about me.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:59 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
I know of a couple of people who were fired in pretty dramatic circumstances. When I worked at a small accounting firm about a decade ago, one woman did not get along well with this one manager at all. She basically got into a shouting match with the manager and was fired on the spot. A few months later, she was hired by another accounting firm. I looked her up, and she is now a manager herself at the accounting firm that hired her. Obviously, her firing didn't affect her that much in the long run.

Another person is someone at my current job who had some personality conflicts with management and he got kicked out on the spot after a confrontation with my boss (and his boss at the time). A few months later, he got hired on at an accounting firm in a different city, making more money than what he made at the job he was fired from.

Both of these people left on very bad terms, but yet they were just speed bumps in their career paths. I've always heard that you should be worried about "burning bridges," but these people practically nuked their bridges and they came out alright.
I used to think about this but now I believe that, even if you leave an employer under undesirable circumstances, they cannot tell a potential employer that 'he was fired (or quit) after a shouting match with the boss.' I believe all they can talk about is your actual work performance. But I could be wrong.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:09 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
I know of a couple of people who were fired in pretty dramatic circumstances. When I worked at a small accounting firm about a decade ago, one woman did not get along well with this one manager at all. She basically got into a shouting match with the manager and was fired on the spot. A few months later, she was hired by another accounting firm. I looked her up, and she is now a manager herself at the accounting firm that hired her. Obviously, her firing didn't affect her that much in the long run.

Another person is someone at my current job who had some personality conflicts with management and he got kicked out on the spot after a confrontation with my boss (and his boss at the time). A few months later, he got hired on at an accounting firm in a different city, making more money than what he made at the job he was fired from.

Both of these people left on very bad terms, but yet they were just speed bumps in their career paths. I've always heard that you should be worried about "burning bridges," but these people practically nuked their bridges and they came out alright.
Outta order? Why, I’ll show you outta order.

If I was the man I was 5 years ago, I’d take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! But I’m too old. I’m too f’in blind.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:16 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
like the old saying goes..."never burn a bridge you might have to go back across"
There’s also an old saying about “passing the rubicon”.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:51 AM

283 posts, read 198,661 times
In most workplaces, people blame the person who has left for any mistakes that have been discovered. Bad mouth those who have left. I never let anyone know where I go. I don’t have a LinkedIn account for that reason.

Sadly all the places I’ve worked at were hostile.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:

You'll never know if the burning comes back to affect them...

It doesn't happen in the first year, typically...What's more likely is that the boss they screamed at takes a job over them at the new firm, or the old firm acquires the new firm...

In some jobs/careers it doesn't seem to be a huge deal. Notably, Car Sales and Realty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment