Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 01:56 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
Both of these people left on very bad terms, but yet they were just speed bumps in their career paths. I've always heard that you should be worried about "burning bridges," but these people practically nuked their bridges and they came out alright.
That can happen of course. But the better course is not to burn bridges. For what potential gain?

I did some work for an "of counsel" legal appearance firm. For details see Should You Violate Legal Code of Ethics to Satisfy Of Counsel Contractor?. I was going to "burn bridges" by reporting them to the bar, as I was advised here. I received the sage advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You've already done the right thing. (postponed the deposition because the client wasn't prepped. And clearly someone didn't do their job.) And YOU were not a party to something you know wasn't right or ethical.

You're now out of that situation. You did what you could WHILE you WERE still involved with it.
Your conscience should definitely be clear about that.
What has happened in the last few weeks was I received a call to cover more matters. I inquired of the person calling me if certain individuals involved back in 2017 were still with the Of Counsel Contractor. I was advised that they are not. I may accept a token number of assignments in order to enhance my 1099 Independent Contractor status. If I had "burned bridges" this would of course been out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 04:36 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
If you are absolutely certain no one and nothing on the far side of the bridge can ever hurt you, or won't ever help you, burn away.

Even then... since we often don't know what might come back in damaging or useful form, it's usually better to just walk away and let bad karma attend to itself - some of it might bounce your way as good karma.

No good reason to PO people or alienate a company or just tar yourself as a petty revenge-taker.

That said, I've burned a bridge or two. We all have. But it's not a good practice, no, no matter how good the outburst or act might feel at the moment. Pretend you did it, and move on.
Agreed. I've made it a point to remind myself from time to time that even if under the most bizarre of circumstances I am fired to just be professional and exit stage left. While it may feel good in the moment to tell everyone off, in the long run you never know how life sometimes comes full circle as you pointed out.

Its difficult to be the bigger person sometimes I get it but ultimately you're better off just biting your tongue and moving on.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:45 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
You never know when it will come back to haunt you. Not sure if anyone pointed OP to this other thread here or not: "Company I was fired from might merge with my current company. Can they go back and see my history?"

Old 07-06-2019, 02:54 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
Honestly I think there are only 2 scenarios in which I would not care about burning a bridge:

1) Retirement
2) I hate X job so much and I am confident that my burning a bridge will not harm me in the long run.

But honestly I would rather not burn a bridge than "set it ablaze".

Old 07-07-2019, 01:35 PM

438 posts, read 269,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Outta order? Why, I’ll show you outta order.

If I was the man I was 5 years ago, I’d take a FLAMETHROWER to this place! But I’m too old. I’m too f’in blind.
Scent of a Woman. LOVE that reference! One of the most powerful scenes in film, IMO.

I thought of burning a bridge (with justification), but didn't do it. Years later I'm still glad I didn't, as I sleep well at night and simply dismiss that place from my mind. Two wrongs usually don't make a right.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:30 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Just putting in your notice at a toxic workplace is a real slap in the face to management. So no need to burn bridges, the revenge is already there. Just be polite and professional, but your real intent is communicated to management despite your good demeanor because you are leaving.

The expression on management's faces during your last few days - priceless. You have built-in revenge with your resignation, no matter how good your demeanor or professionalism.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:27 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
To me, they do. I've been blessed to work for the same company for years after graduating with my Bachelor's and Master's Degrees (I've moved up the ranks at the same company). My professional mentor told me something that stuck with me to this day: Should you make the mistake of burning bridges, 9 times out of 10, your colleagues and manager know people at the next company you're trying to get on. Word has a way of traveling.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:58 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Just putting in your notice at a toxic workplace is a real slap in the face to management. So no need to burn bridges, the revenge is already there. Just be polite and professional, but your real intent is communicated to management despite your good demeanor because you are leaving.

The expression on management's faces during your last few days - priceless. You have built-in revenge with your resignation, no matter how good your demeanor or professionalism.
Whats real sad is the fact that any workplace can become that toxic that people begin to leave. Generally it takes a few years for a workplace to become toxic. How does it get to that point and not nipped in the bud way beforehand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment