Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 AM

10,098 posts, read 5,766,235 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I have a big job interview today. I have so many things working against me right now that I want to avoid anything minor that might blow it.

They sent me some paperwork giving consent for them to contact my current employer and ask about my job duties. That could be a problem. I'm interviewing for a data analyst position. For the bulk of my time at my current job, I performed data analytic functions and that was the primary job description (along with the always fun, and other duties as required). Unfortunately for me, we upgraded to a new system which changed job roles and the data type functions were handed off mostly to the programmer. I was put more into a network admin support role.

I want to sell myself heavily on doing the data analytics tasks and having good experience, but my fear is if they call about the job duties, the response will be that I only do IT support. I could come clean in the interview and explain that my role was given to someone else, but that could raise questions as to why they decided take away that role from me. And those are questions I never fully understood myself. Also it probably wouldn't look good to let them know that I haven't been writing queries for the last two years now which is a big part of data analytics.

I guess I'll just play it by ear. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,763 posts, read 81,689,431 times
" I'm looking for a new job because my role recently changed to network support. Before that I really liked my work as a data analyst and want to get back to it." Then expand upon your analytics experience.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 AM

10,098 posts, read 5,766,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
" I'm looking for a new job because my role recently changed to network support. Before that I really liked my work as a data analyst and want to get back to it." Then expand upon your analytics experience.
Good idea, thanks. I actually thought of that kind of response if they ask me why I want to work there.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 AM

17,729 posts, read 29,953,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
They sent me some paperwork giving consent for them to contact my current employer and ask about my job duties.
This is an invitation for your current employer to can your sorry butt for being "disloyal".

Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,251,221 times
Quote:
^^^ This, unless it has been a long time since it changed. As you both suggest it also feeds right in to why you are looking for a job. It will also hopefully prompt the recruiter to ask about your previous duties.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:11 PM

5,058 posts, read 2,758,775 times
I am surprised that your new employer would trust anything that your former employer may say about you. As soon as you quit, no matter the situation, your former employer acquires a "disgruntled employer" label. What they say about you cannot be considered reliable.

Also, your former company, like many other companies, may choose to only verify that you worked for them, giving a start and end date and nothing else to legally protect themselves from lawsuits.

And, since you are still employed with your soon to be former employer, you just might get fired for being "disloyal" as previous posters have already pointed out. Never allow an interviewing company to ever contact your present employer for any reason.

Last edited by BusinessManIT; 07-16-2019 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 04:11 PM

6,599 posts, read 11,339,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Hey guys,

I have a big job interview today. I have so many things working against me right now that I want to avoid anything minor that might blow it.

They sent me some paperwork giving consent for them to contact my current employer and ask about my job duties. That could be a problem. I'm interviewing for a data analyst position. For the bulk of my time at my current job, I performed data analytic functions and that was the primary job description (along with the always fun, and other duties as required). Unfortunately for me, we upgraded to a new system which changed job roles and the data type functions were handed off mostly to the programmer. I was put more into a network admin support role.

I want to sell myself heavily on doing the data analytics tasks and having good experience, but my fear is if they call about the job duties, the response will be that I only do IT support. I could come clean in the interview and explain that my role was given to someone else, but that could raise questions as to why they decided take away that role from me. And those are questions I never fully understood myself. Also it probably wouldn't look good to let them know that I haven't been writing queries for the last two years now which is a big part of data analytics.

I guess I'll just play it by ear. Any advice?
Could? This IS a problem. There are very few reasons that would make it ok for me to allow a potential employer to speak with my current employer.

If this is something they insist - I would keep looking.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM

23,496 posts, read 19,210,539 times
Quote:
Good honest approach. Get it right out in front and then pivot to where you want to go.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:17 PM

135 posts, read 90,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Never allow an interviewing company to ever contact your present employer for any reason.
There have been a couple of times when I checked the box for my present employer to not be contacted and they called anyway. I found out when my boss asked me why I was looking for another job, and he told me the name of the company that called him.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:48 PM

5,058 posts, read 2,758,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
There have been a couple of times when I checked the box for my present employer to not be contacted and they called anyway. I found out when my boss asked me why I was looking for another job, and he told me the name of the company that called him.
Ouch! Very unprofessional and disreputable of that company to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment