Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 05:23 PM

24 posts, read 18,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Wasn't there a recent thing about a movie star who was working at Trader Joe's? Oh and FWIW If you watched the movie "The Golden Child" the first actor who was killed when they entered the monastery was my partner for 5 weeks as a security guard.

Regarding the weight....My niece was a bit plump and started working FF (Two locations and opposite companies) and she lost her desire to stuff herself, seeing so many others do it......Trimmed down quite a bit..... I once did a super weight loss, but it was summer and the temps were at a low of 105 degrees and up to 140 in the shop area.

I went from 265 to 195 in about 3-3.5 months...Still ate at Hardee's 3X a week....But that's just insane...
Good Lord. How long did it take you to get used to that job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 05:54 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
why not look for other jobs like front desk clerk, customer service at a phone store or cable company. Customer service desk at a supermarket, telemarketing or sales. Why settle for bottom of the barrel type jobs?
It's a full time offer. How many "bottom of the barrel type jobs" actually offer full time status right at the start? He also stated living in a rural area.

No shame at all. Glad you found something full time.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,313 times
OP congrats on finding a full time job! It doesn't matter where it is. It may be tough at first because you are learning around much younger people who already know how everything works, but don't let that bother you. Think of it as an opportunity and see where it can go. All of these stores have managers, and regional managers and corporate trainers that started somewhere.

I have a close friend who was a cashier at a grocery store, nothing glamorous at all, but she did a great job. A customer came through her line and watched as my friend was training a new employee on how to process an order. The customer came by back later looking for my friend. She was the VP of a major FF restaurant in our area and had been looking for someone to fill an important training roll in their corporate office. So now my friend is the head corporate trainer for new store managers and travels all over the place doing a job she loves. You never know where one thing you do will lead to. Don't forget this on the days you wonder why you are there...

Old 08-20-2019, 08:52 AM

7,381 posts, read 4,166,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Btw, Wendys has the best salads! You can likely lose some weight esp since you will be on your feet and constantly moving. Ditch the combo meals. Pay attention to the posted calories on the menu. You can do this!!
I love Wendy's salads. Don't even call them fast food. They are so good!

Old 08-20-2019, 10:00 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,430,828 times
There is no "shame" in earning a living however you can, as long as it's legal. Yes, there are azzhat people who will look down on you or people who won't date you but that's their loss. If you have enough pride to do a decent job and make a living, that is honorable and appropriate.

I know fast-food workers who became shift managers and then maybe store manager and so on. These jobs exist in the system.

I personally am mistrustful of anyone who never waited on customers! It's a normal life experience and there are a lot of normal working people in the world. Put the word "shame" to sleep and forget about it, it's not a worthy concept.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:14 AM

1,361 posts, read 554,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I love Wendy's salads. Don't even call them fast food. They are so good!

Agreed... I'm dieting right now and am down 45 lbs from 308 to 263 in a couple months. I'd like to lose about 50 more. I'm fine with a Wendy's salad in a pinch but mostly I cook my own food at home which has been chicken, broccoli, brussel sprouts and spinach. For snacks at work and at home I eat protein chips.

Eliminated dairy, bread, sugar and fast food.

Drinking water religiously. It's all I've had to drink other than a couple glasses of unsweet tea since I started. Staying hydrated is huge when it comes to weight loss. You won't retain water either.

I work out 30 mins per day on my elliptical and the results speak for themselves.

OP I would definitely go for salads at your new job!

Good luck!

Last edited by Zach911; 08-20-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,716,720 times
Be proud and hold your head up OP! There is no shame in what you are doing so don't let anyone make you feel badly about your job.

Congrats on the tax classed as well. You are making positive changes

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-20-2019, 11:46 AM

1,142 posts, read 580,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticKeeper View Post
I have worked in retail and manufacturing mostly. I lost my last good job and my unemployment ran out last week. I live in a rural area and have filled out at least 25 applications and Wendy’s was the only full time job I could find that actually offered me a job. Is there shame in this? My last job was an office job so I’m horribly obese and out of shape and afraid I won’t be able to do it. Is there anything wrong with being 31 and working in fast food? Advice?
You will be paid to stay fit. Then you can apply for a job and you may see better outcomes.

These kinds of jobs often pay you minimum wage to sleep if the shift entails graveyard. Might be an easy way to make a little more $.

Congrats on the job! It's an honest days work so hold your head high

Last edited by SaraR.; 08-20-2019 at 11:58 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 02:57 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,045,482 times
When I was in my 20's, I started dating a guy that was a mechanic, that had worked on my car. I'd had to take my car in a couple of times...and when we were wrapping things up regarding my car the second time, he asked me out.

He always felt embarrassed about his hands because he could never get all the grease out of his fingernails, try as he might. It never bothered me, and I told him so. To me, it was just indicative of the kind of work he did, and there was no shame in the kind of work he did.

To me, an honest day's work, whatever that work is; is better than lying and swindling, and stepping on other people to make your buck.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,129,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticKeeper View Post
I have worked in retail and manufacturing mostly. I lost my last good job and my unemployment ran out last week. I live in a rural area and have filled out at least 25 applications and Wendy’s was the only full time job I could find that actually offered me a job. Is there shame in this? My last job was an office job so I’m horribly obese and out of shape and afraid I won’t be able to do it. Is there anything wrong with being 31 and working in fast food? Advice?
Nothing wrong with working fast food.

Go on a diet. Get a second job and save every penny you can and MOVE away from this depressed area.

Your physical health is a big deal also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment