Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:51 PM

24 posts, read 18,222 times

Advertisements

I have worked in retail and manufacturing mostly. I lost my last good job and my unemployment ran out last week. I live in a rural area and have filled out at least 25 applications and Wendy’s was the only full time job I could find that actually offered me a job. Is there shame in this? My last job was an office job so I’m horribly obese and out of shape and afraid I won’t be able to do it. Is there anything wrong with being 31 and working in fast food? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 11:10 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,321,829 times
There's nothing wrong with working any job at any age at all. You work and support yourself. That's useful for yourself and for the society. That's much respectable. Only when you are an adult, and has no physical or mental illness (being obese is not an illness), but stay at home with your mama, no matter upstairs or in the basement, just to play games, eat, sleep and do nothing is wrong - that is like a parasite.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
My advice is simple. Enjoy it! Being able to provide a service and get paid for it is what each employed person does. Beyond that it's stigma which most hopefully do not cater to.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
You might consider moving but a job is a job.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,573 times
No, their is no shame at all in working fast food if you cannot find employment anywhere else. I'm obese too but steady losing fat and I managed without problems and frankly around where I live almost everyone is fat and adult age working fast food and I don't think anything bad about them.

I cannot give any advice since I am somewhat in the same predicament but live in the city but I can give encouragement, OP. I believe in you but you'll to in yourself. Thinking their should be shame attached to you working a job no matter the stereotypes associated with it does not help. It IS hard for everyone and have take what we can get right now. You'll get through this.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Nothing wrong at all. Give it your best! My rule when I worked in a bakery was to only eat the lunch I brought from home. I didn't gain a pound! Good luck

Old 08-18-2019, 01:53 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticKeeper View Post
I have worked in retail and manufacturing mostly. I lost my last good job and my unemployment ran out last week. I live in a rural area and have filled out at least 25 applications and Wendy’s was the only full time job I could find that actually offered me a job. Is there shame in this? My last job was an office job so I’m horribly obese and out of shape and afraid I won’t be able to do it. Is there anything wrong with being 31 and working in fast food? Advice?
why not look for other jobs like front desk clerk, customer service at a phone store or cable company. Customer service desk at a supermarket, telemarketing or sales. Why settle for bottom of the barrel type jobs?

Old 08-18-2019, 02:46 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
As long as you're okay with it there is nothing wrong with working fast food at 31. Just do the best job you can. BTW working at an office job isn't the cause of your obesity. The cause of your obesity is you. Eating too much and exercising too little is likely causing your obesity.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:00 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticKeeper View Post
Look beyond the job of the moment and focus on where it could lead you. You could move up in the company, gain supervisory or management experience that can transfer to something you might be more interested in somewhere else. It's putting money in the bank, paying the bills. Nothing shameful about that at all.

Consider that hustling at a fast food place will help you lose weight. You'll be moving constantly, not sitting at a desk nibbling cookies out of a desk drawer. Even if you are tempted to snack at first, I'll bet you a burger you'll be so sick of working around their food all day you won't want it long.

My mother told me about her first job...at a See's candy shop. Their policy was smart. They didn't prohibit employees from sampling the goods. They knew every new employee would indulge at first and would quickly tire of it. They were right. They didn't have to waste their energy trying to detect or prevent it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-18-2019 at 04:10 AM..

Old 08-18-2019, 04:18 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,542 times
There's no shame at all.

A job is a job.

You'll learn some great customer service skills that could translate into a better job or a ladder up. I would also address the obesity issue. Try going to gym at least twice a week and with that job, you'll definitely keep active too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment