Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I don’t know they will let me pay for my own room or not but I’m assuming they would do. I can’t imagine anyone would want to share.
Make it clear you don't want to share a room. If asked, simply said it was for personal reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I once worked for a company that required we share hotel rooms. The most absurd occasion was being sent for training, with the training location only 10 miles from my house, although the other trainees were from all over the country.

I told the corporate travel agent I did not need a room, as I would just travel from home. Training contacted me, cc’ing my boss and HR, that I was required to stay in the assigned hotel room with my assigned roommate. Something about teamwork, building connections, blah, blah blah.

I dutifully went to my room at night, chatted with my roommate for 10 minutes, wished him goodnight and went home. I had about 4 business trips a year with this company, and they always required double occupancy. I never did buy into the corporate koolaid of this employer, and left about 2 years later.

I thought it was weird then, and still do. Every other employer I have been with allowed their employees the appropriate dignity of separate rooms.
That's funny. Here you are offering to save them money, and they are too stuck following some silly plan for all employees.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Ask first. Then post.
The OP is posting to gather information from others before approaching management. If everyone said don't do this, you will get fired, that would be worthwhile data points. After all, this is a discussion forum. We are discussing it.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:30 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
That's funny. Here you are offering to save them money, and they are too stuck following some silly plan for all employees.
Oh there can be some dousey's. I have a friend whose company was having a meeting about 20 miles from his house in city A. Not only did they insist on him staying in the meeting hotel, but also insisted on him driving to city B in order to fly to city A (where he lived) and getting a rental car to drive to the hotel. No amount of logic on his part would change their minds. He blamed it on corporate incompetence. I blamed it on them contracting a travel company to make the arrangements who was getting paid a percentage of the cost of the meeting.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
The OP is posting to gather information from others before approaching management. If everyone said don't do this, you will get fired, that would be worthwhile data points. After all, this is a discussion forum. We are discussing it.
That's backwards.

Go to the source when you need information. "You will get fired" for asking a question to clarify company policy?

Old 08-22-2019, 10:46 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
They were simply crazy. I accepted the job without knowing exactly how insane the company was. It wasn't as if I was in an entry level position either.

In my case, it was a take it or quit type of proposition, and I did not want to have a short term job on my resume, as it was a small industry. I put up with it as a necessary evil, because they did pay well. I stuck it out for a few years, then when the totality of the idiocy built to a state where I did not feel like putting up with it any more, I left.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:05 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
At my current workplace, where there's a lot of travel, everyone gets their own room. However I knew someone working for a large, multinational company who was required to share a room with one other person whenever she went to training. She was only a lower level associate though, not sure if the arraignments change if you're in higher management. So it's not only your company where there's a requirement to share rooms. Personally I'd feel uncomfortable sharing a room with a coworker so I think you're being reasonable.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:08 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I don’t know they will let me pay for my own room or not but I’m assuming they would do. I can’t imagine anyone would want to share.
Assumptions can be awkward and dangerous things. Tell them you don't want to share a hotel room for personal reasons. Ask them what other options there are. One of the options should be to pay for a separate room of your own. Or, maybe check in with the co-worker but don't stay in the room. Get another and pay for it.

FWIW I have occasionally needed to share a room with a colleague. Really tight funding for some group program or simply lack of available rooms at some remote location. We usually chose roommates to ease the situation. I know, not typical, but it does happen.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:04 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Sharing is caring!

Unless the person is sketchy I'd think two adults can share a room and be civil.

When our company paid for a convention..it was two to a room. The view was still stunning..our event a success. None of us were anything less then cordial . Guess we knew how to share space and sleep in our own beds. Sorry our group didn't do hook ups while on business trips..we packed our morals and etiquette .just grateful they paid and gave us accommodations and per diem funds.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:37 AM

515 posts, read 360,321 times
I had to do this on a couple of occasions. And it is weird. You wind up sharing a room with some co-worker that you probably don't know very well or want to be around much even at work. So now you have to listen to them snore and get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom? After one such trip, I had to wait for the bathroom in the morning. Nothing like walking into a smell that would make your eyes water and knowing your co-worker left it for you. Once I went on a business trip and the boss was trying to save money. Long story, but it was a deal where if he saved money on one trip he got to use it later for other trips he went on. On our trip it was an even number of people, so he doubled people up. But he had his own room. So that left one person out, and they got their own room. That was me. He disappeared when we got to the hotel and left me to explain how everybody had a roommate but me and him. Needless to say, the others were upset and wrote a group letter about the guy to management when we got back. He later got demoted. More workplace BS, I've seen it all. Can't wait to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment