Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 08:10 AM

571 posts, read 321,893 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I'm curious about others' thoughts regarding a corporate environment with an extremely entrepreneurial culture.

In brief, I'd best describe this as an environment without much structure or guidelines. There are minimal or no set goals, benchmarks, or metrics established by management, and you don't really have a clear path to being a successful employee. Feedback is minimal and infrequent. You're just sort of there to be available and to be pulled in from time to time to work on project-based work when you're not working on a handful of routine tasks.

For someone who's not really an entrepreneurial or sales-minded person, what's some optimal approaches here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 09:31 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Did this back in the .com days. I think you just need to have that personality. Be flexible, able to adapt quickly, and know to shift priorities. You need to be very communicative - meaning asking questions and provide alternatives, etc. And above all, you need to be personally organized to be able to handle requests from all over the place.

In the end, it is very much personality based. You just need to want to take charge and get crap done. No one is going to tell you when, how, etc.

Just my .02 of course.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Did this back in the .com days. I think you just need to have that personality. Be flexible, able to adapt quickly, and know to shift priorities. You need to be very communicative - meaning asking questions and provide alternatives, etc. And above all, you need to be personally organized to be able to handle requests from all over the place.

In the end, it is very much personality based. You just need to want to take charge and get crap done. No one is going to tell you when, how, etc.

Just my .02 of course.
Thank you! This is very insightful.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:40 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
You need to define your own career path. Find things that interest you and pursue them. Express interest in new work areas you want, etc. If management hasn't yet established goals, you can make some suggestions and help bring structure.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:49 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
Greetings!

I'm curious about others' thoughts regarding a corporate environment with an extremely entrepreneurial culture.

In brief, I'd best describe this as an environment without much structure or guidelines. There are minimal or no set goals, benchmarks, or metrics established by management, and you don't really have a clear path to being a successful employee. Feedback is minimal and infrequent. You're just sort of there to be available and to be pulled in from time to time to work on project-based work when you're not working on a handful of routine tasks.

For someone who's not really an entrepreneurial or sales-minded person, what's some optimal approaches here?
Sounds like most corporate environments to me, every man or woman for him or herself with little to no management - perhaps some an org charts, posters on walls, some processes, a website to give the perception that there a well managed outfit but underneath the fascade its chaos.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
You need to define your own career path. Find things that interest you and pursue them. Express interest in new work areas you want, etc. If management hasn't yet established goals, you can make some suggestions and help bring structure.
Hi gus2!

Yes, I'm on the same wavelength. Granted, some of my career goals are not very accessible from within the organization. They are things I generally pursue outside of the office. Unfortunately, we don't run the 'latest and greatest' tools available in my field. That's a little upsetting in that I won't be able to spend much time applying knowledge and gaining experience in those particular areas in my current role. I do read up a lot on those skills, and do a few skills tests online when I have time.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times
It's much cheaper to pretend your a well managed organization by putting up a fancy corporate website, to tell your clients you have detailed processes, training programs, career development, best tools etc than to actually implement that in reality. That's why there is always a gap between the organization perception management of how good they are vs the reality for an employee.

As for an entrepreneurial organisation - This seems to apply in that mostly to lower level employees contracts will run out when there project is finished, and they will have to hope they can get on another project - whilst for the senior management most of them rarely lose their jobs no matter how many contracts are lost.

Last edited by mikeyking; 09-04-2019 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 05:11 AM

105 posts, read 61,542 times
Quote:
Greetings!

Gotta schmooze and be in on EVERY project either in the conception or just water cooler chat.
Try to be the guy everybody says let's run it past iSudo to hear his take before we pick our team.

The routine tasks are usually only done by the people not engaged in project or skunkworks.
Don't want to be that guy/gal.

My .02

Old 09-05-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
Gotta schmooze and be in on EVERY project either in the conception or just water cooler chat.
Try to be the guy everybody says let's run it past iSudo to hear his take before we pick our team.

The routine tasks are usually only done by the people not engaged in project or skunkworks.
Don't want to be that guy/gal.

My .02
Greetings lifeisruff!

I consider myself fairly personable. I would not, however, consider myself a big schmoozer, especially around people I have little interest in. It's one of those life skills that I have made progress in since I was young, but would consider mediocre at best. That said, I'm usually willing to talk to anybody about anything when I'm in the right mood.

I'm also relatively new in this particular role, so I'm willing to bet not many people are relying heavily on my expertise at this point. There's still a lot I feel like I need to learn.

All that said, I do think I need to try injecting myself into more situations and expressing interest in more projects when available.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM

105 posts, read 61,542 times
Quote:
Greetings lifeisruff!

I consider myself fairly personable. I would not, however, consider myself a big schmoozer, especially around people I have little interest in. It's one of those life skills that I have made progress in since I was young, but would consider mediocre at best. That said, I'm usually willing to talk to anybody about anything when I'm in the right mood.

I'm also relatively new in this particular role, so I'm willing to bet not many people are relying heavily on my expertise at this point. There's still a lot I feel like I need to learn.

All that said, I do think I need to try injecting myself into more situations and expressing interest in more projects when available.
Well said!

I think the point I was making was that YOU will have to put YOURSELF out there.
YOU will have to make the extra effort if you want the work.

When I read your post I said to myself this guy needs to self promote.

Please allow me to relay a successful technique I used to use.
Give yourself the job of solving the companies 10 biggest, hardest, most difficult tasks.
When you have a spare moment reduce turnover, streamline training, improve quality 3%, improve production 4%, etc.
When ever anyone asks you what you are working on tell them just dont say too much about the process.

Is this example usable in your current environment?

Ruff

Last edited by lifeisruff; 09-05-2019 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment