Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 03:02 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

Not sure about "passion" for something because it might not happen, but something you rather like and are good at. Nothing worse than working decades in something you don't like. That's a life sentence...of the worst kind. Money is important, too, at least paid enough to have a decent quality of life, which is subjective. Only chasing money can lead to a rather meaningless life in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 04:12 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destar Menen View Post
All my life I've done several of personality test for career choosing and always scored highest in arts, so I ended up enrolling in Arts school and majored in Fashion design honestly best years of my live everyday was filled with an amount of passion and joy that money can never pay forward. Fast forward 3 years later I finally left school and worked as a free lance stylist and designer making mainly wedding dresses (made some good money) BUT the inconsistency of free lance and design work in terms of money was making it almost impossible for me to move out of home and start thinking of things like buying a car.

Naturally i'm also an extremely organized person so I started working for companies as their administrator, luckily now I am an administrator for a design company so I don't feel too far off what I love but daily I wish I could rather be home painting, drawing, designing. Nothing in all my life has ever been able to give me as much joy as I had when I was a free lance stylist and designer and my biggest dream is to live a life not dictated by money. I now get a consistent salary and live out of home but in all honesty nothing and no money can buy the feeling of doing what you love daily.

Another issue I find with working in cooperate companies as a creative is I mostly struggle to fit in which is not that bad but its almost like I always feel like im selling my soul for money and I know 100% I could not and cannot live my dream and deal with the inconsistency of pay in free lance work. So now I am trying to formulate a plan that will allow my passion to become my side hustle.

Just wondering if its me aloe who's had to choose money and stability over their passion?
Those choices for us were made decades ago. Sounds like you'll have plenty of time to assess your decision.

When you're 66 and your peers are retiring after a lifetime of good financial decisions you'll want to join them.

Having to work until 80 because of a lack of funds is a terrible fate.

You decide.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:14 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Not sure about "passion" for something because it might not happen, but something you rather like and are good at. Nothing worse than working decades in something you don't like. That's a life sentence...of the worst kind. Money is important, too, at least paid enough to have a decent quality of life, which is subjective. Only chasing money can lead to a rather meaningless life in my opinion.
Once you have the requisite money, you'll no longer have to chase it.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:16 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The reality is...if you have bills...you've chosen that Avenue as your "must have".

Some folks do not "buy" into living in modern life styles. A person gathers a modest home..basic needs..and harvest their food. All without modern day money.
Please explain the "if you have bills" and how you "gather basic needs without money".

Are you talking about other people (parents/government) paying for your land, your food, water, toilet paper, etc?

Old 09-06-2019, 04:36 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,964,064 times
I have a passion for flying airplanes, but I wouldn’t want to do it as a profession.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:59 PM

801 posts, read 547,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
But people are not merely chasing money though. They are chasing..

-Early retirements.
-Better options for their kids.
-Financial peace of mind.
-The means to travel and see the world, etc..

Going to an office to do boring work is their ticket to those things.

It's no different than an aspiring actress who spend a good portion of her days taking care of her body, and looking for auditions to drive to. Doing boring exercises, eating food with no flavors and spending hours in traffic are certainly not what she is passionate about. They are just the grunt work that need to done to get there.

It won't be "meaningless" if it works out at the end.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 09-06-2019 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
There is no choice in a modern society. Money. Unless someone else pays your bills for you.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:06 PM

285 posts, read 204,381 times
I don't like to think of it as chasing... more like gracefully careening... like a terrible asteroid that's just hit the atmosphere, burning up to a billion degrees and then eventually fading to ash.

Take that, money. And you too, passion.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Once you have the requisite money, you'll no longer have to chase it.
If someone likes what they're doing or it's pretty tolerable, but what about those that hate their jobs or have really stressful jobs? They might not get to that point. Stress can really ruin people's bodies.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 09-08-2019 at 03:03 PM..

Old 09-08-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
But people are not merely chasing money though. They are chasing..

-Early retirements.
-Better options for their kids.
-Financial peace of mind.
-The means to travel and see the world, etc..

Going to an office to do boring work is their ticket to those things.

It's no different than an aspiring actress who spend a good portion of her days taking care of her body, and looking for auditions to drive to. Doing boring exercises, eating food with no flavors and spending hours in traffic are certainly not what she is passionate about. They are just the grunt work that need to done to get there.

It won't be "meaningless" if it works out at the end.
Boring work is one thing, but stressful and miserable work is another. Too many hours and not enough down time or someone hating their job decade after decade isn't healthy. It might work out for them in the end or it might not (disease or worse). It's an individual assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment