Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 09:59 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,550,341 times

Advertisements

I sent my letter today and he just wrote back saying he’s sending it on to HR. So he didn’t offer anymore money. Yesterday he did ask if there anything he could do to get me to stay and I just said not at this time. He also told my co workers before I had a chance to. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:32 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
When I left my last job I had direct reports who were very upset that I would be gone. They've since moved onto new companies where they love their jobs even more than before with bosses that they love more as well.

It's possible you might start the new job and love it even more than your last job. If your boss works in a different state entirely then I don't see why you would feel any sort of connection or obligation to him. If they didn't even offer to counter then it seems like they have no interest in retaining you. I would move on for the better opportunity.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:40 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,210,961 times
all employees are replaceable. Business isn't going to stop if you leave

Old 09-17-2019, 12:44 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,138 times
I believe you said you have never met your boss in person. You also said there's a lot of turnover.

He's not sad you found another opportunity; he's annoyed he needs to fill your roll in a high turnover job. Definitely move on. Even if you don't love your new job you would be looking for the next one from a better position. Best wishes

Old 09-17-2019, 01:02 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
It's not their call. I did the counteroffer thing once and it worked out poorly. They might be fine with you staying on for now, but it's kind of like a "cheating spouse" syndrome where they'll always be wondering when you'll leave.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:39 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,900 times
Even if you stayed, it would only be temporary. If you want out bad enough to find a better job, whatever it is will make you leave regardless, it may be postponed but you won't stay. Go now.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:50 PM

596 posts, read 253,131 times
no boss wants you to leave. HQ keeps track of retention numbers and how often you lose top performers + its sometimes tied to bonus

Old 09-17-2019, 08:01 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It’s making me feel torn. I think the new job is a better career opportunity, they’re paying me more, better benefits. But I worry that it could be a high pressure environment. I don’t think my current job is too high pressure but I’ve overall found it to be a pain and I’m not interested in the product or industry

What if I’m horrible at my next job. I really don’t know.
If you want to grow, you have to try new things, even if they scare you.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 PM

313 posts, read 368,571 times
Earlier this year, I had a very good employee give notice after five months. She got a higher paying job with a bit more stress but more fulfilling. She didn't want to leave me (apparently). I asked what it would take to stay and then she kept changing the goal line. When it finally came down to it, the CFO and my boss wouldn't match her counter offer and I told her that she should leave. They were saying that "millennials these days" just want more pay, etc. I thought that employee was doing well and would've moved up over time. However, with the offer and management not meeting her demands, it was best to go. She left and is in a better place. It's not always a bed of roses but it's better.

Be an eagle. Soar with confidence!

Old 09-18-2019, 11:35 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
Let's see how long it is before this thread by this OP is closed.

It's very telling when people can't accept certain responses, then pick up their marbles and go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment