Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 01:08 PM

83 posts, read 86,918 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

Quick question. I did a job interview last Thursday.It was about 50 minutes long. I was called in right away for the interview at the Government office. (The person that screened the resumes was in another side of the country BTW).

It lasted about 50 minutes, the main supervisor woman was nice and liked most answers or close to all got smiles nods etc. The other person looked like he was going to fall asleep but like her he did smile and nod etc and was paying attention.

Nothing bad happened, no negativity, no rudeness, no cutting it short. smiles nods the whole thing. I didnt feel it went badly

( Also I have somewhat of a unique background as I have multiple citizenships and its partially why I got called in )

It didn't go badly thats for sure, but I cant tell if it went good.

It was a solid 50 minutes and when it was my turn to ask questions, one question I asked was, " is this an immediate hire, or something in a few weeks etc" She said it was "an immediate hire yes". No hesitation in her saying it

I cant tell what that means. If they didn't like me, would they have said "we need to interview more candidates and we'll get back to you" when asked if the hire is immediate or not?

Saying "its immediate hire" when I asked, does sound positive. But is it really? thats the closest thing I got to a timeline.

There was nothing that seemed like a brush off, why would she say its immediate of they didnt like me? they could have said "we'll be interviewing others for a couple weeks and then get back to you or ".. " We'll be in touch" etc. I heard none of those standard lines, zero.

What do you make of this?

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 01:20 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Doesn't sound like they were interested.

Move on and keep looking. If they do call back, great, if not you've already moved on.

Win-win.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Doesn't sound like they were interested.

Move on and keep looking. If they do call back, great, if not you've already moved on.

Win-win.
Why do you say that?

Old 11-26-2019, 01:31 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Immediate hire just means when they make up their mind and offer the position to someone they want them to start very quickly. It has nothing to do with whether or not they liked you.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Immediate hire just means when they make up their mind and offer the position to someone they want them to start very quickly. It has nothing to do with whether or not they liked you.
Ok when should I follow up then thank you note etc?

Old 11-26-2019, 01:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This. Immediate may still take weeks for an offer or rejection notification, however. It means as soon as possible after someone is hired they will start. If it was not "immediate" it would be starting next March, or something like that.

Old 11-26-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This. Immediate may still take weeks for an offer or rejection notification, however. It means as soon as possible after someone is hired they will start. If it was not "immediate" it would be starting next March, or something like that.
The listing states after an offer is made we have three weeks to get everything else done before starting. If we dont get it all done then we lose the opportunity.

Its a job requires allot of clearances, It's a political job. So Im not sure how that factors in

Old 11-26-2019, 01:52 PM

Also the politcal office on the east coast reviews resumes and then books them for the office here out west. So after the interview do they notify the eastern office as they were the initial screeners?

Old 11-26-2019, 02:10 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroX View Post
It was a solid 50 minutes and when it was my turn to ask questions, one question I asked was, " is this an immediate hire, or something in a few weeks etc" She said it was "an immediate hire yes". No hesitation in her saying it

I cant tell what that means. Saying "its immediate hire" when I asked, does sound positive. But is it really? thats the closest thing I got to a timeline.
So you asked a question and they answered yes and now you don't know what your question means? Why did you even ask it?

I would never ask this question the way you asked, it does not sound professional.

I had panels questioning me and they were always smiling and nod friendly about my answers but then rejected me.

I can feel by entering the room if I make it to the next round or not. They either like me or not, my answers are secondary. I usually only get to the next round if there are foreigners, slim and/or tall people interviewing me. Sad but true. Short overweight men/women don't want me to be around them on an everyday basis.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So you asked a question and they answered yes and now you don't know what your question means? Why did you even ask it?

I would never ask this question the way you asked, it does not sound professional.

I had panels questioning me and they were always smiling and nod friendly about my answers but then rejected me.

I can feel by entering the room if I make it to the next round or not. They either like me or not, my answers are secondary. I usually only get to the next round if there are foreigners, slim and/or tall people interviewing me. Sad but true. Short overweight men/women don't want me to be around them on an everyday basis.
How is it not professional?

They seemed fine I felt no negativity from them. Smiles nods positive body language etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment