Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2019, 06:06 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,941,977 times

Advertisements

Wait, people still give out thank you notes? I think in today's throw away people society those polite gestures ( I think they are corny with jobs searches) are actually harmful. They make you look weak, like no ones wants you out there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 06:31 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
In the Federal gov, immediate can still be several weeks to a couple of months. Have to finish interviewing and then send the name up the chain through a couple of levels of HR. Federal HR is not known for being responsive -- in fact one of the consistent issues for managers inside the gov is getting a response out of HR.

Like others said, keep searching until you get a firm offer.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:39 PM

83 posts, read 87,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
In the Federal gov, immediate can still be several weeks to a couple of months. Have to finish interviewing and then send the name up the chain through a couple of levels of HR. Federal HR is not known for being responsive -- in fact one of the consistent issues for managers inside the gov is getting a response out of HR.

Like others said, keep searching until you get a firm offer.

The main office is back east we are supposed to send questions about the job to the eastern office. But now that I have done the interview I have the interviewers contact info.

I will keep applying around and have done so even today. But I wish I knew, if they were doing a background check on me by now or got a rejection letter.

This is one of the rare times that I have uploaded all my passports and social security numbers. We dont do that allot here in Canada. But its a consulate so I understand.

I hope when she said "immediate" it meant after the background checks going through.

I wished I asked about the timeline better. She just said its an "immediate hire", I thought that meant I would know yes or no fairly soon, so I didnt push it.

They seemed to like most of my answers, smiles nods the whole thing. I was also contacted for an interview right away after the ad closed, like first thing the next morning.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Wait, people still give out thank you notes? I think in today's throw away people society those polite gestures ( I think they are corny with jobs searches) are actually harmful. They make you look weak, like no ones wants you out there.
Don't really a "thank you" note, more of professional email follow-up expressing interest in the role.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:28 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroX View Post
Hi Everyone

Quick question. I did a job interview last Thursday.It was about 50 minutes long. I was called in right away for the interview at the Government office. (The person that screened the resumes was in another side of the country BTW).

It lasted about 50 minutes, the main supervisor woman was nice and liked most answers or close to all got smiles nods etc. The other person looked like he was going to fall asleep but like her he did smile and nod etc and was paying attention.

Nothing bad happened, no negativity, no rudeness, no cutting it short. smiles nods the whole thing. I didnt feel it went badly

( Also I have somewhat of a unique background as I have multiple citizenships and its partially why I got called in )

It didn't go badly thats for sure, but I cant tell if it went good.

It was a solid 50 minutes and when it was my turn to ask questions, one question I asked was, " is this an immediate hire, or something in a few weeks etc" She said it was "an immediate hire yes". No hesitation in her saying it

I cant tell what that means. If they didn't like me, would they have said "we need to interview more candidates and we'll get back to you" when asked if the hire is immediate or not?

Saying "its immediate hire" when I asked, does sound positive. But is it really? thats the closest thing I got to a timeline.

There was nothing that seemed like a brush off, why would she say its immediate of they didnt like me? they could have said "we'll be interviewing others for a couple weeks and then get back to you or ".. " We'll be in touch" etc. I heard none of those standard lines, zero.

What do you make of this?

thx
IMO - "immediate hire" isn't about YOU or any candidate specifically. Immediate hire simply means the position is budgeted/approved and they are ready to move forward - now. As opposed to interviewing people for a project that may be starting in a few months, a contract they are going to submit (or have submitted), or any other reason where the actual offer may be contingent on some activity outside of finding the right candidate.

If your question was more specific to you, you probably could have worded it differently. "where are you in the interview process? etc." Ultimately, it comes down to what you meant, and what the person answering your question thought you meant.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 PM

Do they automatically run a background check after the interview without permission? I have nothing to hide . They asked for more personal than any other place ever which I understand. I scanned and up loaded verything

Old 11-27-2019, 08:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
What do you make of this?

thx
It means nothing. Especially with a government job whatever it is always takes much longer.

The immediate part of this is a foolish term. Because there is nothing immediate about any of this.

You have a car broken on the side of the road, you need immediate service.

There are no immediate hires unless you are talking about lawn mowing companies who go to that special street corner where guys are hanging out looking to be paid $150.00 cash that day to be part of the lawn crew.

They can't have immediate hires for office jobs, because they have a process to go through which often includes a background check, fingerprinting, and drug testing.

They call it immediate because they want to collect as many applications from people as soon as possible, so they can sit on it for a month before doing anything.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:11 PM

Well I was called in right away, I got an email the day after it closed asking for another document. 3 days later they booked an interview.

I was there 50 minutes it seemed fine. Hopefully I'll hear back soon. They contacted me right away, will I hear results right away?

Old 11-27-2019, 08:23 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Well I was called in right away, I got an email the day after it closed asking for another document. 3 days later they booked an interview.

I was there 50 minutes it seemed fine. Hopefully I'll hear back soon. They contacted me right away, will I hear results right away?
No, you won't, and you shouldn't expect it as I explained.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
No, you won't, and you shouldn't expect it as I explained.
Yes you have a very good point, but I was called in super quick. They contacted me for another document the day after the ad closed. Then 3 days later book an in person. For the Gov, thats quick I guess.

But maybe not after. Ok so now I wait. Not much I can do.

Do they go through my background now? I cant recall if I clicked an "ok" box on the online application. I assume they are going to or have started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment