Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 10:55 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Advertisements

I'm in the wrong line of work.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...orbes-12195758

Quote:
Eight-year-old Ryan Kaji earned US$26 million in 2019 on his YouTube channel, making him the highest-paid creator on the platform, according to a list published Wednesday by Forbes magazine.

Kaji, whose real name is Ryan Guan, was already the video platform's highest earner in 2018, with US$22 million, according to Forbes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 11:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,551,407 times
Yeah, it's his parents who are getting rich off their kid. Interesting story, though. I saw a story about them a while ago.

I suppose your line of work could be having kids and then exploiting them on YouTube

Old 12-19-2019, 01:43 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,177,723 times
Here is the third place earner is a Russia-American based in Florida - she earned $20 million. Personally I do not see why either one of the kids would have so many viewers. Both our first place winner and third place winner look like they are relying on the toy manufacturers. It has been pointed out that Ryan's World is exploiting a grey area of the 'truth in advertising' requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MrU...&index=36&t=0s

I am curious if the 'kids' started their videos by their selves, with the help of their parents or with collaboration from the toy companies? Is this simply very successful marketing all dreamed up by the advertisers?

Old 12-19-2019, 04:26 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,416,491 times
Basically these kids (and their parents) are making money because other children are watching commercials semi-disguised as homemade videos.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:47 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,100,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is the third place earner is a Russia-American based in Florida - she earned $20 million. Personally I do not see why either one of the kids would have so many viewers. Both our first place winner and third place winner look like they are relying on the toy manufacturers. It has been pointed out that Ryan's World is exploiting a grey area of the 'truth in advertising' requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MrU...&index=36&t=0s

I am curious if the 'kids' started their videos by their selves, with the help of their parents or with collaboration from the toy companies? Is this simply very successful marketing all dreamed up by the advertisers?
Somewhat odd. All the comments are turned off. Also, who exactly is watching these videos??

Does a person need actual Youtube account to have their view counted? Maybe some sort of fake account viewing algorithm is being run by various servers. The person who runs Funny Stacy also runs similar accounts.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:44 AM

346 posts, read 551,875 times
Other kids are watching the videos, often they watch the same videos over...and over...and over again. If you have children between the age of 2-6, you're likely familiar with Ryan's Toys Review. I had to wean my kids off of his channel (and un-educational Youtube videos altogether) but overall Ryan's channel is pretty tame compared to the other crap.

But yeah, they make their money by essentially posing them as commercials for the toys, then they launched their own toys line. My wife absolutely hates the monetizing of the kids by their parents, and goes on epic rants whenever we run into the toys at Target or something lol.

Last thing... Ryan's Mom has a voice that would make me want to slit my own throat. Her laugh is as close to "nails on the chalkboard" as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Somewhat odd. All the comments are turned off. Also, who exactly is watching these videos??

Does a person need actual Youtube account to have their view counted? Maybe some sort of fake account viewing algorithm is being run by various servers. The person who runs Funny Stacy also runs similar accounts.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,542,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
YouTube has a recent policy (6 months or so?) that videos featuring small children will have the comments disabled.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:50 AM

571 posts, read 322,280 times
I guess it's no different than salesmanship of any other product or service. The only thing I would hope, and I don't know this one way or another, is that the child isn't being exploited by her parents.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:19 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,923,379 times
Essentially no different from any child actor on TV.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:40 AM

9,426 posts, read 8,405,872 times
My 8 year old LOVES all things Ryan. The family has even started a line of toys on top of the revenue generated from YouTube directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment