Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 16,296 times

Advertisements

I might be a little paranoid about this, but I really got screwed by a company that hired me last year for a sales position. I got hired and fired within 4 weeks, partly because I did not do enough research on this particular company. Had I done the research I probably would have turned down the job offer.

Currently I have made it past 3 phone interviews with another sales organization and was told that I am the best candidate for the job and the manager will be flying out to meet me tomorrow just to make sure that I look like I sound on the phone. I want to find out what final questions can I ask him to make sure that I end up with a good job.

So far the position sounds perfect, I am taking over a new territory that has been split in half, the product is the best seller in their industry, the company has pictures of all of their sales reps online and it appears that I am about the same age and appearance of most of them. Most reps have been there 4-5 years and the pay and benefits are great.

Can anyone think about what other questions that I can ask to make sure that I am a perfect fit for this job. Since relocating two years ago to a new city I have had a really hard time finding a job that I like and have the ability to make any money at. My wife and I are getting frustrated by my work situation and she has given me one more shot at switching jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,117 times
I would look into their financials. Have they been in business a long time? Is it a small company or more of a corporate company? Why did they split the new territory? Was it because sales were so good and they need more people ? This is what I read in your remarks or is that a territory not many people like/want to live? Any Benefits? Long term job security or room for advancement? Those are my initial thoughts.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 16,296 times
Company financials look good, they are a $100+ million company that is a division of a much larger publicly traded company, so their records are out in the open. The territory used to cover two very large states and the existing rep covered this half of the territory by email and phone. So this company is looking for someone who lives in my state to cover it.

So everything that I am looking for seems to be here, I just want to make sure that I do not leave any stones unturned.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,117 times
Sounds like you looked into it. I wonder if there is any way you can ask an existing employee what its like. Otherwise I wish you well and good luck on your new venture.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
I would also ask them for an offer in writing with a guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment