Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Employer requested you WFH because of coronavirus risk?
Yes, I've been told to WFH due to the risk. 2 5.26%
No, no discuss or options given. 32 84.21%
My idiot employer thinks everything in the news is fake. 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 01:49 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who works at a very large company said there has been a discussion that employees might be requested or given the option to work from home due to the risk of the coronavirus. Anyone in the US been asked to do this so far?

Moderator note: City-Data is being inundated with threads about the Coronavirus. A second W&E thread on this topic has been merged into this thread. Please, everyone, let's only have ONE thread in W&E related to the Coronavirus. Any new threads on this topic will be merged, but hopefully people will heed this warning not to start new, similar threads. Keep in mind that this is NOT the forum to discuss the virus except as it relates to employment. Thanks.

PS - This thread will temporarily be a Sticky at the top of the forum. Also, the thread title has been edited for clarification.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-28-2020 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 01:56 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
This hasn’t come up at work at all. There was discussion about a conference getting cancelled that isn’t until October and brings in a global audience but nothing has happened.

It’s definitely nerve wracking but I don’t think it’s going to come to that for most people.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:20 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
My employer has put out emails regarding restrictions on travel to certain countries, but there's been no request that we WFH (at least not in the US) other than the standard "if you are sick with ANYTHING that has a chance of being contagious, WFH so you don't share it with others".

Old 02-26-2020, 02:30 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My employer has put out emails regarding restrictions on travel to certain countries, but there's been no request that we WFH (at least not in the US) other than the standard "if you are sick with ANYTHING that has a chance of being contagious, WFH so you don't share it with others".
Same here. There are a lot of international students and faculty around, plus all kinds of international conferences, so the university just announced that there should be no work-related travel to China (and now South Korea.) There's also been a big push to self-isolate if you have travelled to the "hot zones" and to not come to work/class if you're sick in general with anything--talk to professors and supervisors to make other arrangements.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-26-2020 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-26-2020, 02:43 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
I asked my boss, he says if I want I can work from home 1-2 days a week, but I have to come into the office for another 2-3 days.
Companies dont have to order everyone home at this point, they should just allow employees to decide.
Then there are people sneezing and sick with flu and keep coming in, they should be told specifically, if anyone is feeling unwell, then WFH. Management failed to do that.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:58 PM

407 posts, read 370,246 times
I work for a global company that has offices in Asia. Some staff in Asia are working from home (not all though as some need to be in the office). In our other offices, including the US, they're asking that people who have traveled to/from/through China, Hong Kong or Singapore or who have household members who have, to wait for 14 days before returning to the office. They'd either work remotely or work out other options (not sure if it would be PTO, etc.) But for staff outside Asia that haven't traveled to those areas (or live with those who have), there has been no impact.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:05 PM

409 posts, read 873,663 times
I would say 90% already telecommute at my job. But we all have to come into the office at least once a week. No talk so far to let us WFH all the time. Nor about forcing those who don't WFH now to start doing it.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:39 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
My employer (me) has told its employee (me) to work from home for the last 24+ years.
So, I will continue to do so.
But, my 23-day vacation starts Friday and we land in Milano on Saturday.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's been discussed in our small office, and while day-to-day isn't really a huge risk, we are working up plans in case large events have to be canceled.

The best part of the discussion is that we are getting stricter about people STAYING home if they or their kids are sick with anything like flu or stomach virus. In a communal office where everyone is touching the printer and other equipment, we really just don't need to spread germs unnecessarily.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:15 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Folks in the US are basically at zero risk unless they've traveled to an area where it is prevalent. Absolutely no reason why the average Joe needs to stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment