Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 06:49 AM

414 posts, read 296,439 times

Advertisements

I am going through one of those now. Since most of my work is short-term contracting, I have my own LLC that I use in cases where the client prefers corp-to-corp billing. The BG company emailed me asking for a contact number to verify dates of employment. I gave them my number. They said but that is your number. I said yes, because I own the company! Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 09:16 AM

5,897 posts, read 3,897,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
I am going through one of those now. Since most of my work is short-term contracting, I have my own LLC that I use in cases where the client prefers corp-to-corp billing. The BG company emailed me asking for a contact number to verify dates of employment. I gave them my number. They said but that is your number. I said yes, because I own the company! Lol.
Al, thanks for sharing your experience. Did you have to fill out your employment history on a form with the background company? If not, did the BG company simply use the details on your job application when you applied for the job?

Old 12-14-2020, 09:17 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
From what they asked, they are probably going to do a criminal background check, and a credit check. They will also probably contact your previous employers to verify that you did indeed work there during the dates you said you did. Some former employers will also verify if you are eligible for re-hire or not.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:28 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
As seen in my report, they did a SSN trace. I've checked my report with two of the three majors since and saw no inquiry that looked like it would be the bg check. It would probably be considered a "soft pull" anyway.
My point is that asking for a SSN doesn’t necessarily mean they are running a credit check.

The forms we use request a SSN but we are running a criminal background check as well as a check of the child abuse and neglect central registry. We are not checking a new hire’s credit.

OP - check the fine print of the forms you signed. They should disclose to you the types of background checks being done.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:33 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
You may want to contact your prospective employer’s HR department and express this concern to them. You should let them know that you don’t want the company working on the background check to contact your current employer, for obvious reasons. I’m sure they will be empathetic to your concerns since they want to hire you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Hi ccm123, there was no field on the background consent form about employment; whether it was listing employment history or contacting anybody at whatever company.

If I remember correctly, when my current workplace extended an offer several years ago, I was given a link to their background check company's website where I had to list my employment history. Of course, my prospective employer is using a different company, but I just found it unusual that there was nothing like that this time around.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:21 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I was offered a new position by a company and signed for them to do a background check on me. I've always been curious as to how the process works, especially when it comes to employment verification.

I'm asking because when I initially listed my employment history on the online job application a few weeks ago, there was no "May We Contact?" box for either my current or prior employers which I found a bit odd. The HR team requested three professional references as part of their standard interviewing process, though, which was fine.

I eventually received a job offer this week and, yesterday, I signed a third-party background consent form called the "Consumer Report and Disclosure" in which I had to list my name, DOB, SSN, Driver's License, and either a Yes or No question regarding have I ever been convicted of a criminal offense. There were a few extra pages explaining my rights under Fair Credit but I didn't see anything regarding listing employment, calling employers, or anything like that.

I'm a bit worried because I don't want my current employer to know I'm looking elsewhere, as there wasn't a box to select "No" on the company's job application...nor was there anything mentioned about it on the third-party background check form.

Do you think they'll still call my current and/or previous employers? I appreciate any insight and experience.
Nothing to be concerned about. They will use a third-party background check company which will likely use the third-party company the current and past employers have assigned job verification to. The only information those companies have about you will be the start-end dates, job title, full or part-time, and reason for separation which could be voluntary or involuntary. Voluntary means you resigned or retired. Involuntary means you were part of a layoff or were fired. They have an option in those companies to disclose the employee's salary, but that requires the employee's authorization to do that. The reason for this, is that HR departments don't want to be bothered with each job verification which includes each time you take out a loan or ask for a credit card increase. The SSN is for criminal background checks to make sure they have the right person. The credit reporting is to make sure your finances aren't in chaos, because you could be security risk to the employer. Your current employer won't know who is making the inquiry to the third-party company, and they don't care. Company XYZ making a job verification inquiry could be a mortgage company or an employer. Companies expect employees to be looking for other jobs which is why they offer you a raise and/or a bonus each year, it is to keep you from leaving. I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect of this at all. The third-party companies have no other information about an employee to offer anyone, because it isn't given to them. Anything about your work would be retain in HR for their own internal purposes.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:04 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,897,517 times
Just wanted to post a quick update! It turns out my worries were a bit overblown as I got the results of my check and nothing about employment was on there. So I'm guessing the third-party company didn't verify anything, nor did HR because my supervisor at a previous company told me that they didn't get any calls or inquiries about me, either. A bit unusual but fine nonetheless.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:51 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Just wanted to post a quick update! It turns out my worries were a bit overblown as I got the results of my check and nothing about employment was on there. So I'm guessing the third-party company didn't verify anything, nor did HR because my supervisor at a previous company told me that they didn't get any calls or inquiries about me, either. A bit unusual but fine nonetheless.

It's most likely electronic verification. If you said you worked at xyz for certain dates, maybe they can check with that state to see if the employer reported earnings for you for those dates. If not the state, there may be 3rd party data aggregators.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:06 PM

6,450 posts, read 9,809,163 times
Quote:
Congrats, maybe they use the info to dig further if they find something unusual and need to delve into it.

Old 11-21-2021, 11:45 PM

6 posts, read 9,753 times
Since you have signed the background form, you have given them the consent to contact your current employer. It's one of the first steps in any background check- the company connect with the candidate's ex-employer ( current, in your case) to cross check the details given by your.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment