Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 03:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,834,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I never said it did. But if you smoke more than 2 times a week if will affect your memory. I can always tell the pot users because they can't remember anything.
And yet, I'm often told how good my memory is, and particularly on quiz night.

I know people who aren't that great with memory -both people who are pot smokers, and those who aren't.

Not to say there isn't short term memory loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 03:53 PM

51,441 posts, read 37,111,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponpiri View Post
I wasn't making an argument.

I don't know and never made that assertion.
Then what are you referring to with referencing that employers test for alcohol?

Old 06-21-2021, 04:10 PM

115 posts, read 58,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Then what are you referring to with referencing that employers test for alcohol?
You've mistaken me with someone else.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,130,760 times
Quote:
I wasn't making an argument.

Any time you make a statement or comment, there is generally underlying logic or reasoning to convey a point. You made such a statement by implying that since weed has been legalized, your purveyor of beads and gems has a problem with its employees constantly being stoned. The implication to your statement, which I'm sure I don't really need to explain to you, is that legalized weed has been detrimental. But obviously, we all know that is a bunch of biased drivel, especially when you compare it to other self-medicating habits like the consumption of alcohol which has as adverse or worse effects on society.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:55 PM

51,441 posts, read 37,111,388 times
Quote:
You've mistaken me with someone else.
Yes, you're right I apologize. Your post though sounds like you are equating the fact that pot is now legal in your state with people getting high at work. I don't believe the 2 would be related. I think people who get high at work would have been doing so before it was legal (it's not like it was hard to get). Are you trying to assert that all these employees didn't smoke before, but now that it's legal not only are they smoking, they're smoking at work? If not I'm not really sure what your point was.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:30 AM

4,216 posts, read 3,149,304 times
I have mixed feelings about drug testing. I don't use tobacco, alcohol, or drugs, and don't like being around people who do. On the other hand, there is a lot of profit in drug testing, and the drug testing industry has hyped its service as a solution to all of your problems. I remember when schools were being pressured to require drug testing for extracurricular activities, whether it be football, cheerleading, or the chess club.

It was pointed out that people with commercial driver's licenses, as well as law enforcement officers, were already subject to random drug testing, and that few of these people failed the test.

I also have a problem when employees are not automatically given the full results of the test whether positive or negative. This is part of informed consent, along with being an informed patient.

I heard about a discussion concerning drug testing where I worked prior to retirement. An employee was sent for drug testing after getting a cut while using the copy machine. The lawyer thought that was appropriate, while the HR manager pointed out these drug tests cost $200.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:53 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,606,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

People don't think pot is dangerous but it can affect people enough, even days after its use, to be a hazard to safety.
Oh my god. Reefer Madness lives on.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:54 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,606,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
But if you smoke more than 2 times a week if will affect your memory. I can always tell the pot users because they can't remember anything.
Uh huh. Sure ya can.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:54 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,590,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Oh my god. Reefer Madness lives on.
Take a hit and calm down, Kiddo.

Apparently there are a few people here who cannot distinguish accurate medical information from silly movies.

Others are ignorant of the meaning of "long term effects." I'll try one. more. time. for those who can't keep up.

Even if you don't use marijuana every day or all day, it's use, like the use of tobacco or even sugar, can have long term effects on your body. Those remain or take a period of abstinence to heal even if you aren't using.

I know you think they don't exist but that doesn't invalidate them. Pot works like that - makes the negative side of things look better.

Here are a list of valid government health organizations which have published the long term effects of marijuana use:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gov.+long+...rijuana&ia=web

I'm not here to argue. You may read 'em and decide you have all the answers and all those medical people are wrong.

I used pot for close to twenty years so I'm familiar with the issues from a personal perspective.

And no, it's not all or nothing, either wrong or right. Some people are deeply affected. Yes, to the point of total dissociation and others, like Joe, may have noticed little effect in forty years.

Please just try to be an informed user.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:01 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,130,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Take a hit and calm down, Kiddo.

Apparently there are a few people here who cannot distinguish accurate medical information from silly movies.

Others are ignorant of the meaning of "long term effects." I'll try one. more. time. for those who can't keep up.

Even if you don't use marijuana every day or all day, it's use, like the use of tobacco or even sugar, can have long term effects on your body. Those remain or take a period of abstinence to heal even if you aren't using.

I know you think they don't exist but that doesn't invalidate them. Pot works like that - makes the negative side of things look better.

Here are a list of valid government health organizations who have published the long term effects of marijuana use:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gov.+long+...rijuana&ia=web

I'm not here to argue. You may read 'em and decide you have all the answers and all those medical people are wrong.

I used pot for close to twenty years so I'm familiar with the issues from a personal perspective.

And no, it's not all or nothing, either wrong or right. Some people are deeply affected. Yes, to the point of total dissociation and others, like Joe, may have noticed little effect in forty years.

Please just try to be an informed user.
Nothing you're saying is novel. Everything in moderation. Don't eat too much, don't drink too much, limit sugar intake, limit caffeine intake, don't smoke, don't over consume pot, exercise at least 3 days a week, eat more whole foods over processed foods. These are the underpinnings of a healthy lifestyle.

A moderate consumption of pot, in your free time and for pleasure, is not going to harm you any more than any other vice that people partake in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment