Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 05:35 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I got the offer.

I'm leaving the current place next Wednesday, starting at the first of the year, and taking December off.

Sounds like the hospital got back to you pretty fast.

Good for you for taking December off. I'm sure you could use the time off. IIRC you weren't one to take much time off during the year. Maybe you can get your dad to take a day or few off, I'm sure he could really use a day off too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 09:00 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Sounds like the hospital got back to you pretty fast.

Good for you for taking December off. I'm sure you could use the time off. IIRC you weren't one to take much time off during the year. Maybe you can get your dad to take a day or few off, I'm sure he could really use a day off too.
I'm taking ski and snowboarding lessons starting first of the month. It's something I've always wanted to do - I'm back down to 241 from 260, and have an athletic wrestling background, so I think this is something somewhat athletic to have fun with into my middle age.

I've offered to rent a pontoon this winter. Dad hasn't committed to a date.

I'm looking forward to getting out of where I am, because that ship is clearly sinking. I might be looking again in a few months. Nothing is stable or guaranteed anymore.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:56 AM

449 posts, read 283,088 times
Quote:
I might be looking again in a few months. Nothing is stable or guaranteed anymore.
Well rest assured that Roselvr will be following up in a few months.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
Well rest assured that Roselvr will be following up in a few months.

I'm not the only one who bumps his thread lol There are a few of us.

Maybe he should try to apply at twitter. I hear they have a lot of jobs that opened up

Quote:
I'm taking ski and snowboarding lessons starting first of the month. It's something I've always wanted to do - I'm back down to 241 from 260, and have an athletic wrestling background, so I think this is something somewhat athletic to have fun with into my middle age.

I've offered to rent a pontoon this winter. Dad hasn't committed to a date.

I'm looking forward to getting out of where I am, because that ship is clearly sinking. I might be looking again in a few months. Nothing is stable or guaranteed anymore.

Hopefully you can get dad onboard, I'm sure he could use a break from his hectic right now life.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:45 PM

How is your vacation going?

Old 12-14-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
How is your vacation going?
Pretty good so far, but have not done a lot. More going to the gym, video games, etc. Honestly, being home so much doesn't feel much different than when I was working at the hospital for most of the time.

I didn't hear back on the government job offer yet, but I do plan to take it if it comes in at the average pay on the public information site. My start date back at the hospital is 1/3. The other guys on the team that went to the new contractor manager are much happier than they were under our old boss.

I talked to the director bringing me back, and they're going to give me the 4% annual raise that everyone across the board is getting for the year.

The government job did a reference check. They said I would likely hear something by the end of this week - that was nearly two weeks ago now.

I'm not concerned yet, but I would have thought an offer would have been extended shortly after a reference check. Maybe it's the government, maybe it's the holidays, no idea.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Pretty good so far, but have not done a lot. More going to the gym, video games, etc. Honestly, being home so much doesn't feel much different than when I was working at the hospital for most of the time.

I didn't hear back on the government job offer yet, but I do plan to take it if it comes in at the average pay on the public information site. My start date back at the hospital is 1/3. The other guys on the team that went to the new contractor manager are much happier than they were under our old boss.

I talked to the director bringing me back, and they're going to give me the 4% annual raise that everyone across the board is getting for the year.

The government job did a reference check. They said I would likely hear something by the end of this week - that was nearly two weeks ago now.

I'm not concerned yet, but I would have thought an offer would have been extended shortly after a reference check. Maybe it's the government, maybe it's the holidays, no idea.

There's nothing wrong with hanging around gaming and going to the gym. My son who's your age has been using his PTO, spends the day gaming on his PS. He works four days a week but they're long days, from 8:30 until usually 7:30pm or later. He works for Comcast, is outside in the weather.

I don't remember you mentioning a government job. If you get that, does that mean you won't be going back to the hospital?

Old 12-14-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with hanging around gaming and going to the gym. My son who's your age has been using his PTO, spends the day gaming on his PS. He works four days a week but they're long days, from 8:30 until usually 7:30pm or later. He works for Comcast, is outside in the weather.

I don't remember you mentioning a government job. If you get that, does that mean you won't be going back to the hospital?
I started another thread on it.

Yes, I interviewed for a county government job several times. I put in for the position in October. They've been dragging their feet. I had one interview maybe a week or two before Thanksgiving, others a couple weeks ago.

The benefits are incredible. I'm hoping it pans out. It will be a pay cut, but one I could live with it if the pay comes back at what I expect. It would be a drop in title.

At the hospital, they only pay our level one engineers and analysts around $46k. They're salaried exempt, called in the middle of the night. How are you going to keep anyone at that rate of pay? I'm a level four - senior analyst. I'm at a different payscale obviously, and have a huge amount of institutional knowledge and trust.

The job I applied for with the government is a level 2 position. I have twelve years experience. The government pays around $18k-$20k more on average than we pay level 2s, with far superior benefits and everything else that comes with government employment.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I started another thread on it.

Yes, I interviewed for a county government job several times. I put in for the position in October. They've been dragging their feet. I had one interview maybe a week or two before Thanksgiving, others a couple weeks ago.

The benefits are incredible. I'm hoping it pans out. It will be a pay cut, but one I could live with it if the pay comes back at what I expect. It would be a drop in title.

At the hospital, they only pay our level one engineers and analysts around $46k. They're salaried exempt, called in the middle of the night. How are you going to keep anyone at that rate of pay? I'm a level four - senior analyst. I'm at a different payscale obviously, and have a huge amount of institutional knowledge and trust.

The job I applied for with the government is a level 2 position. I have twelve years experience. The government pays around $18k-$20k more on average than we pay level 2s, with far superior benefits and everything else that comes with government employment.

Government job sounds promising. Hopefully you stay with it to get a nice pension like my hub has when you retire. Not many jobs offer them any more.

Hopefully they let you know if you got the job before you start at the hospital. It would suck to have to quit twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment