Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Too young to retire, too old to get a new job. That's how many older workers are feeling these days.

While it's not easy to land a job in this weak economy, older workers are in a particularly tough spot. Corporate downsizings are hitting this group hard, with many companies looking to shed the higher-paid positions these employees often occupy.

Can't retire, can't find job: Older workers struggle - May. 21, 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 12:24 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Too young to retire, too old to get a new job. That's how many older workers are feeling these days.

While it's not easy to land a job in this weak economy, older workers are in a particularly tough spot. Corporate downsizings are hitting this group hard, with many companies looking to shed the higher-paid positions these employees often occupy.

Can't retire, can't find job: Older workers struggle - May. 21, 2008

I never pull calling in sick to get a 3 day weekend or showing up late. I go the extra mile. In fact, I would like to hire myself and start my own business.
I think there are good and bad in all age groups, but I think this is about money. Older workers want more money, have more experience, but it's that insurance premium companies don't want with an older worker who might have health issues, even the mildest ones.
Maybe the karma will strike when these bean counters age and get thrown out on their own butts. One thing is for sure, eveyone will grow old.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM

PS All of this is age discrimination, which is being allowed, because we all know the employers have the upper hand right now.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 AM

27,350 posts, read 27,405,100 times
It can be tough finding work at an older age, but there are some decent jobs out there if we are relentless and determined. May not pay the greatest but its better than the unemployment line. I say this from my own experience.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times
Random thoughts:

You might think about things you know that other people don't know. If you know how to maintain your computer, for example, maybe you could charge people 50$ a pop doing that for them.

I had heard of a guy who, while looking for work, stopped by a construction site and asked if there was anything he could do. They told him he could clean up, and he was payed fifty bucks for it per day...it's more than nothing.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Random thoughts:

You might think about things you know that other people don't know. If you know how to maintain your computer, for example, maybe you could charge people 50$ a pop doing that for them.

I had heard of a guy who, while looking for work, stopped by a construction site and asked if there was anything he could do. They told him he could clean up, and he was payed fifty bucks for it per day...it's more than nothing.
Nice for some money to get by while you are looking for a job, but that won't sustain an older person.
And as far as computer help...most kids today can do that themselves. Most people aren't going to hire someone to do that kind of work, when they know someone who will do it free for them.
People need real jobs. Being a semi-handyman won't give you a budget or a predictable paycheck. If one was going to do repairs, it would be better to actually start a real business doing it.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Go the self employment route

Look at your strengths. Become self employed. Sell yourself as a fractional employee. 1 day a week, etc.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
in 93 this happened here. many fell down and never got up again.
i came out the other side but just barely. it was then that i really got to know what the wolf's breath smelled like up close. some wonderful religious books have been written by people that got thru that experience. unfortunately looks like we are guna do it again. not good. please make a prayful vote this november.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:26 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,528 times
Owning a business is not all it's cracked up to be. My husband owns his business and hardly ever has time off. He has worked for the past 11 days straight, which is not uncommon. Being a one-man show, it's tough. He tried hiring employees once, but the taxes, workers' comp insurance, benefits, etc., cost a fortune. He had to downsize again and rethink. Speaking of taxes... wow! It's astronomical what the government charges "small businesses" in taxes. My husband sold some assets, and believe it or not, his accountant told him that he would have been better off giving the assets away as a donation. The amount we got for the assets raised our income to another tax bracket and we paid more in taxes that what we got for the assets. Literally. I help him when I can as I work full time myself. He makes a great living, money-wise, but owning your own business does not give you beneifts - health insurance, pension, stock options, 401k, paid vacation, etc. He works for the money... I work for the benefits.

Age is a factor when seeking employment. He has tried a couple of times to get hired at a company, but thinks his age is a factor.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Owning a business is not all it's cracked up to be. My husband owns his business and hardly ever has time off. He has worked for the past 11 days straight, which is not uncommon. Being a one-man show, it's tough. He tried hiring employees once, but the taxes, workers' comp insurance, benefits, etc., cost a fortune. He had to downsize again and rethink. Speaking of taxes... wow! It's astronomical what the government charges "small businesses" in taxes. My husband sold some assets, and believe it or not, his accountant told him that he would have been better off giving the assets away as a donation. The amount we got for the assets raised our income to another tax bracket and we paid more in taxes that what we got for the assets. Literally. I help him when I can as I work full time myself. He makes a great living, money-wise, but owning your own business does not give you beneifts - health insurance, pension, stock options, 401k, paid vacation, etc. He works for the money... I work for the benefits.

Age is a factor when seeking employment. He has tried a couple of times to get hired at a company, but thinks his age is a factor.

I agree...some think it is so easy to just go start your own business. When one has not had a business and worked for others, and needs an income, and has no one else to rely on, there isn't any cash flow being generated to get a business going.
The being paid for an odd job here and there might be fine for some, but it wouldn't pay my basics like my utilities. By the way, I have a job, but like most people, I am always a step away from being unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment