Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 06:23 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Generally, people don't "do this".
It seems that you have a special kind of people at your work. Or maybe you're imagining things?
Try not to participate and mind your own business....
Do other nurses in your workplace have nothing else to do, but stare, gossip and laugh at others?

BTE:
That nurse, on light duty, surely could do some filing. Nurses are notoriously behind filing their paperwork.
I think this is an occupational nurse at wherever the OP works? She shouldn’t be talking about other workers there, but I assume that the nurse was there to assess work injuries. I’ve listened to some podcasts about some places where workplace injuries are prevalent and people are discouraged from reporting any issues. This sounds like one of those places.

I’ve never worked anyplace like this. Yes, I think every office has that person or two who seems like they’re faking injuries, but they are few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 06:38 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
This baffles me. I had a non-OSHA compliant chair at work in a museum years ago, a rolling swivel chair with only 4 "feet" that tipped over on me one day, making me fall and bang my elbow on the floor to the point where my whole arm tingled. I tried as hard as I could not to report it, but my supervisor insisted. Elbow felt fine the next day and I got a new chair with 5 "feet" that wouldn't tip.

I don't have a lot of patience with fakers and malingerers.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:08 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think this is an occupational nurse at wherever the OP works? She shouldn’t be talking about other workers there, but I assume that the nurse was there to assess work injuries. I’ve listened to some podcasts about some places where workplace injuries are prevalent and people are discouraged from reporting any issues. This sounds like one of those places.

I’ve never worked anyplace like this. Yes, I think every office has that person or two who seems like they’re faking injuries, but they are few and far between.
Regrading the bold phrase, I understand why. Because there's something wrong from the top, and one bad apple can spoil the whole barrow.

As in many of my posts, I mentioned about this woman who is sooooo "sweet" and has big influence on many others because she has "wonderful" social skills as most people prefer that over technical skills, and she is the best friend with the top manager. She can bake cakes, cookies... and bring them to work to bribe people. She has so many "interesting" stories to tell people at work, and they are entertained by her and attracted to her. She's the one who calls in "sick" the most. Sometimes she's on "sick" leave for weeks and months. When she's off "sick", her coworkers have to take extra work from her. It's very exhausting. And when she comes back to work, she just has less work to do and sits there to be an entertainer. Eventually, everybody learns that from her. That's how the sick calls increase tremendously. The ones who care too much will just have to do more and more extra work and eventually become broken down. Many become very bitter, resentful by the unfair treatment from someone in the management. I just can't imagine. Wonder why many people are coasting or "quiet quitting".

Old 09-13-2022, 09:19 AM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin2021 View Post
Every time someone at the job gets injured, whether it's something they did wrong or not, they always gather and stare at that person and laugh. They do this every day until you are back to your area. They also complain that you aren't working and make comments that you aren't working when you are under restrictions given by the doctor. The nurse at the job told me that one of the worker's who broke his arm last year was sitting down since he couldn't do much. Then one of the workers goes to her and tells her that he was lying without any proof when he literally broke his arm. Why the hell would a worker lie about someone's injury without any evidence? And what can be done about the workers who laugh and talk about you and make comments that you aren't working?

This sounds like a "blue collar" thing.

I don't find that white collar workers treat co-workers this way. They tend to assume you are hurt. If they suspect you are lying, they see it as a supervisor's problem.

I oversaw brige construction for 10 years. The construction crews were brutal on co-workers in this regard. Man up or be tormented. If you got hurt, they often thought you were at least partly responsible for just doing something stupid.

So this sounds like a blue collar thing to me.

It doesn't help that there is so much rampant fraud and abuse of SSI disability. Back in the day, you worked or starved and everybody knew who didn't pull their weight. Today, you have millions defrauding SSI or abusing the systems, and it is hard to know for sure who is being honest about an injury vs fraudulent or milking an injury for some benefit.

With our decreasing morals, trust is just down so some co-workers will not give other the "benefit of the doubt' anymore. Some co-workers will just assume the worst. Guilty until proven innocent. It doesn't help that everybody knows who the shady workers are who are likely to take advantage of the laws and policies.

As far as people laughing at your misfortune -- it is human nature and more based on their being glad it didn't happen to them, than being happy for your plight. I also find there are certain individuals who laugh at others expense, while most people don't, and there are ample to rush to help.

So if "everybody" stands around laughing at someone's spill or accident or injury, then I have no clue what to say. I have never seen it in any workplace unless it was some ridiculous "hold my beer and watch this" type of situation where the workers is warned not to do something, does it, and pays the price. Then the laughings is "I told you so". Other than that, I have never worked where people just stand around laughing at someone who just had a genuine accident.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:24 PM

238 posts, read 129,333 times
Quote:
Every time someone at the job gets injured, whether it's something they did wrong or not, they always gather and stare at that person and laugh. They do this every day until you are back to your area. They also complain that you aren't working and make comments that you aren't working when you are under restrictions given by the doctor. The nurse at the job told me that one of the worker's who broke his arm last year was sitting down since he couldn't do much. Then one of the workers goes to her and tells her that he was lying without any proof when he literally broke his arm. Why the hell would a worker lie about someone's injury without any evidence? And what can be done about the workers who laugh and talk about you and make comments that you aren't working?
I don't know about that. I work with adults and no one "laughs at" anyone for any reason. Also, injuries where I work tend to be incredibly serious (other than perhaps cutting your finger a little or stubbing your toe on a workstation) and we'd rather cart someone over to the eyewash station to help them flush chemicals out of their eyes or grab the medical kit and help them patch up while waiting for security (also doubles as first response medical) to run in. We also have emergency shutoff buttons and levers everywhere, but no one laughs.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:51 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
"They always gather and stare at the person and laugh."<-----I highly doubt his is actually happening. I think maybe you saw one thing occur ONE time and now are drawing generalizations here.

Old 09-13-2022, 02:17 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:

You must work with miscreants.

I have never seen this in my entire working career. If someone slips or falls, people rush over to help.

Time for you to go work with adults, not children.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:23 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

I don't know about other workplaces, but generally if someone breaks a bone, she/he wears a cast or splint and has to bring a doctor excuse to be placed on light duty. It's not so easy to fake injury and be placed on light duty. At least in places where I worked.

Old 09-15-2022, 01:06 AM

93 posts, read 49,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
"They always gather and stare at the person and laugh."<-----I highly doubt his is actually happening. I think maybe you saw one thing occur ONE time and now are drawing generalizations here.
Yeah it does happen. They been doing it for a long time now. It's getting annoying now.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:33 PM

246 posts, read 120,005 times
Quote:
People never look good trying to make anyone look bad. That is what they were doing. I guarantee every poster to your question that says THEY NEVER ENCOUNTERED this , don't believe them. Everyone has encountered this most common of human defects. I can't even imagine them even saying they were not familiar with it.
Humans are not the nicest animals in the world. They are also not the most secure. Put a few together where they want to look good and especially where money is involved, like employment, and you will find the gossips , the ones who talk about you and want everyone to hate you. like the ones laughing at the people who are hurt. Bad people have to eat and pay rent too , so you will have to overcome these losers . That is why they lie and gossip and love to cause all the misery they can because they are total losers. The worst of them are psychopaths, they know exactly what they are , and they do not want anyone else to know. They are evil and they are everywhere and plentiful , you just don't recognize them as they wear a "mask" 24/7. A mask is the phoney persona they show the world.

I wish I could answer your question on what can be done about them. Avoid them like the horrible disease they are. Never tell them anything about yourself or anything you may know about them. (especially if they are psychopaths. Open your ears to what people are saying. Listen to your inner ear or gut , intuition , etc. it will never lie to you. If you have a feeling someone is bad , or has bad intentions , you are probably right. We humans know so much more than what has been revealed to us. You may need to get another job. You should never have to deal with them, unfortunately we all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment