Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 02:48 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
MOUNT HEALTHY, Ohio — The latest interest rate hike hits a sore spot for Ohio restaurants. Two-thirds of restaurant owners said they took on new debt since the COVID-19 pandemic began, according to Ohio Restaurant Association data published this month. Still, a 96-year-old in business for decades is serving up optimism.

Despite his need for waitress help and rising food costs, Angelo Rallis is calm. A & A Restaurant charges no more than $10 for any item. Most are belly-filling platters too. Rallis preps, cooks and cleans everything by hand. He gladly works 12-hour days, seven days a week.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...ifts-every-day
Thanks for the link & thread

He definitely does not look like a 96-year-old at all. In addition, he is super active & thin.

I have seen 50- & 60-year old's with more of a hump on their back, which usually means they have osteoporosis. He looks & sounds great.

I also thought something was funny, the name of the location=MOUNT HEALTHY
He definitely looks healthy to me. I also enjoy seeing those older cash registers

Thanks for sharing the story & link I like optimism type stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 08:38 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think it's pretty sad. I've got plenty of things to do besides punch a clock every day when I retire. That said, it might be the only thing keeping this guy alive. He would probably die if he stopped working.
I don't think there is anything sad about it. Like you said he would probably die without the work.

As it stands, he is the captain of his own little world and loves what he does. He is admired and cheered on by everyone who makes contact with. Besides what else is he going to do as a 96-year-old widower? Obligatorily putter around the house dispassionately. I admire that the man has this much drive and passion. Very few people do.

Old 09-23-2022, 01:33 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Despite his need for waitress help and rising food costs, Angelo Rallis is calm. A & A Restaurant charges no more than $10 for any item. Most are belly-filling platters too. Rallis preps, cooks and cleans everything by hand. He gladly works 12-hour days, seven days a week.
Well, no kids, no wife. So it's his life to spend.

Old 09-23-2022, 03:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
MOUNT HEALTHY, Ohio — The latest interest rate hike hits a sore spot for Ohio restaurants. Two-thirds of restaurant owners said they took on new debt since the COVID-19 pandemic began, according to Ohio Restaurant Association data published this month. Still, a 96-year-old in business for decades is serving up optimism.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...ifts-every-day
Well, he owns the place, so can't be fired. At his age, he no doubt doesn't do the work that a much younger person can do. But he allows it, since he's the owner!

He still works because he loves his business. I do believe that if a person has a job he or she loves, it's not work. It's a reason for living, a joy. Actress, movie director, business owner, corporate property owner/manager, musician, etc. IMO, one of the joys and maybe purposes of life is to find something that gives you a good living, that you love, and that you're very good at. Not many are able to do that, or ever find it. Imagine if Margo Fonteyn, who danced until she was about 60 yrs old (very old for a ballerina), had never been introduced to ballet, and her parents able to afford it. She would've missed out on what was truly her calling in life.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:10 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
He's probably one of those, when do does decide to retire, he will be dead within a few months.

I know it sounds crazy, but maybe his continuing to work at the ripe old age of 96 is keeping him alive?
Not crazy at all. Back in the 1960's where I grew up the old timers that survived into their 80s and even 90s were the farmers that worked their land and livestock dawn to dusk, pretty much up to the time they went into hospital and died. Few of them were overweight, they were mostly rangy and muscular right up until the end. Angelo Rallis takes after them, I am guessing.

Of course that was back in the day when a family farm was still financially viable. Most of them are now long gone, either transformed into subdivisions or merged into huge corporate farming operations.

Point is that the corporate workplaces of today are often unhealthy high stress environments and it's no wonder people want to retire or move on as quickly as they can.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:36 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Reminds me of my dad. Same work ethic. It helped a lot that he owned his own business. The man loved every minute he spent in the office. He loved dealing with people...a trait that I did not inherit

Old 09-23-2022, 05:40 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Probably a good idea. I've seen people's health deteoriate rapidly just a few months after retiring too many times to count.

Old 09-25-2022, 07:24 PM

178 posts, read 115,971 times
Or maybe he is past all that "search for a greater meaning" and already knows the answer: doing what you are useful for, however small.

Old 10-07-2022, 06:44 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yea that kind of work ethic is almost dead...

I call it live to work. My mom was like that. It didn't really matter what the type of work was either really, she just worked and never complained that much.

She was 1st generation immigrant just like that guy. The irony is that you raise your kids to live a 'better life' and they lose that work ethic.

Either they want 1) a lot of $ to work as few hours as possible and/or retire as early as possible or ... 2) a job with greater meaning. Which, I am more guilty of #2.

I always plan to 'work'. Whether I can make money off that pursuit is another question. I don't plan to 'retire' but society may retire me.

But I think Gen X especially, they just want $ and don't want to work for it.

But, much respect for that guy.
That is not a work ethic, that is an addiction.

Working 12 hours a day at any age, never mind 96 years old, is surely not healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment