Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times

Advertisements

This thread is just to give me an idea of what a plumber or a landscaper makes an hour starting off, so what would one of these two pay in your city or state? Here in NM a landscaper would normally start off anywhere from $8 to $10 and Im not too sure about a plumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:20 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
I lived in Texas for many years and now live in Seattle. Wages here are so much higher than Texas it blows my mind.

Mind you Washington is a union state not a 'right to work' state as is Texas. That means that if your company is a union company (most are, including government jobs) you MUST join the affiliated labor union. You must pay union dues and most benefits are administered by the union.

Difference being that a lot of jobs in Texas don't even come with benefits, administered by anybody.

As it just so happens I too am in the landscaping business. Check Seattle's craigslist and you'll find that a lot of landscaping type jobs are paying $10-$15 an hour. That's more than twice what the pay for the same work is in Texas. And a lot of them are year round with benefits!

Compared to Texas that just amazing. Because of legal/illegal immigration in Texas and lassaiz fare government, those kinds of jobs typically pay minimum wage and NO benefits. And let's face it, the average 20 year old Mexican can work circles around the average middle aged American (like me) for 10 hours in 100 degree heat.

I suspect to generalize, the farther north you go from the border, and better yet a 'union state', the better the wages and benefits are.

Go north desert sun!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
In northern Maine they both start as minimum wage jobs with no benefits. Southern Maine is different though as far as Plumbers go, can't say for Landscapers.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
In Atlanta, landscaper about $10 an hour and plumber around $22 to $28 depending on experience.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
In CA a plumber can make anywhere from 20 to 40+ / hr.
Landscaper is an 8-10 dollar an hour job

Old 06-02-2008, 06:35 PM

354 posts, read 2,076,288 times
My buddy start at $14 as a plumber apprentice in Chicagoland Illinois with a increase every 6 months until he reach scale which is over $32 plus benifits.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I lived in Texas for many years and now live in Seattle. Wages here are so much higher than Texas it blows my mind.

Mind you Washington is a union state not a 'right to work' state as is Texas. That means that if your company is a union company (most are, including government jobs) you MUST join the affiliated labor union. You must pay union dues and most benefits are administered by the union.

Difference being that a lot of jobs in Texas don't even come with benefits, administered by anybody.

As it just so happens I too am in the landscaping business. Check Seattle's craigslist and you'll find that a lot of landscaping type jobs are paying $10-$15 an hour. That's more than twice what the pay for the same work is in Texas. And a lot of them are year round with benefits!

Compared to Texas that just amazing. Because of legal/illegal immigration in Texas and lassaiz fare government, those kinds of jobs typically pay minimum wage and NO benefits. And let's face it, the average 20 year old Mexican can work circles around the average middle aged American (like me) for 10 hours in 100 degree heat.

I suspect to generalize, the farther north you go from the border, and better yet a 'union state', the better the wages and benefits are.

Go north desert sun!

thanks for the info,Amarillo or Lubbock,Texas is one of my choices if I do move in the future,I knew jobs paid less than here but min.wage just sucks.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
You can do a search on 'landscaper wages in ..... (state)' and that should tell you. Ive done it before and found some pretty helpful information.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
In Washington, landscaping jobs go from a low of around $10/hr to as high as $16/hr depending on experience and if you are working in Seattle itself which seems to offer higher salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment