Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 08:23 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
It's a review to make sure that white men aren't routinely receiving promotions or raises greater than their female or minority peers.

If you have genuinely received a fair promotion and raises, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Why shouldn’t white men receive those raises and promotions?

Old 03-25-2024, 09:06 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why shouldn’t white men receive those raises and promotions?
There's no reason White men should not receive raises and promotions. However, if it is ONLY white men receiving raises and promotions, then there is something wrong, at least in the larger organizations that perform this sort of review. Just like it is unlikely that the only qualified new hires are White males, although that is more of an indication that you need to recruit from more sources.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There's no reason White men should not receive raises and promotions. However, if it is ONLY white men receiving raises and promotions, then there is something wrong, at least in the larger organizations that perform this sort of review. Just like it is unlikely that the only qualified new hires are White males, although that is more of an indication that you need to recruit from more sources.
If the raises and promotions are merit-based, skin color should be irrelevant.

If there are limited promotions available, can you not conceive of a situation where the top employees competing for those promotions are white males?

Old 03-26-2024, 06:33 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If the raises and promotions are merit-based, skin color should be irrelevant.

If there are limited promotions available, can you not conceive of a situation where the top employees competing for those promotions are white males?
No. There is never a situation where only White males are the most qualified. At least not in organizations that have done their recruiting and employee development properly.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:10 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,925,015 times
Quote:
No. There is never a situation where only White males are the most qualified. At least not in organizations that have done their recruiting and employee development properly.
I have noticed that professional basketball teams tend to be majority black, even though black males are only 6.5% of the U.S. population. Applying the same emotional, nonscientific standards as you have expressed, these organizations have clearly not done their recruiting and employee development properly.

I, as a 5'8" white male in late middle age, should be able to join a pro basketball team and be promoted equally to anyone else. If some 19-year-old black male joins after me and is instantly promoted over me, that's unfair and the team should be fined.

We can't have unfairness in the workplace, now, can we? Where fairness is strictly defined by skin melanin and racial derivation, nothing to do with skills, talents, abilities, and drive.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:12 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
My company listed on their website that they are conducting a DEI review of the merit process. I have a feeling I understand what this means but not entirely. Does anybody know what this is all about?
I am sure your Human resources can explain it to you. Dont by afraid, ask.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
That you can’t conceive of it doesn’t mean that it’s not (very) frequently reality.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I have noticed that professional basketball teams tend to be majority black, even though black males are only 6.5% of the U.S. population. Applying the same emotional, nonscientific standards as you have expressed, these organizations have clearly not done their recruiting and employee development properly.

I, as a 5'8" white male in late middle age, should be able to join a pro basketball team and be promoted equally to anyone else. If some 19-year-old black male joins after me and is instantly promoted over me, that's unfair and the team should be fined.

We can't have unfairness in the workplace, now, can we? Where fairness is strictly defined by skin melanin and racial derivation, nothing to do with skills, talents, abilities, and drive.
In your example, not everyone is cut out to do the same job. Just as a short white, Hispanic or Asian is not likely to become a professional basketball player, not every Black male is going to have the aptitude or even interest in medical research, structural engineering, or economics. Just because blacks are 14.4% in the USA
does not mean they should be 14.4% of the managers at a corporation. Nor does the white males being the majority should be the majority on an NBA team. I still go by "hire the best person for the job." For the 20 or so hires I have made over the last 15 years, I have only ever had 3 Black applicants. The only one that was well enough qualified for the position, a woman, would not accept the pay we offered so I hired the next best, a white woman.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:00 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:

I'm no fan of forced diversity hires, believe me, but this isn't a great example. If you're wanting someone to be hired on merit alone then a 5'8" middle aged white male who has few, if any, basketball skills has no merit at all to be hired into such a position. Having said that, I get your point.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:01 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
The danger with that kind of thinking is the underlying bias that white men are inherently suited for the job, and bringing women or people of color into the mix is unfairly promoting unqualified people solely because of race or gender.

The classic example of that is with orchestra auditions. When auditions are held blind, behind a curtain, suddenly more women and other underrepresented groups float to the top of the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment