Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:00 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,460 times

Advertisements

I had an interview today with company "A" for a dream job that I really want and it went great. They are making a decision in the next two weeks. I feel like I have a good shot at the position (they actually have two spots open, so double my chances!). Also, it's close to my house (10 minute drive), and I met a bunch of people there who are really cool. Of course, no guarantee that I will get this position...

Just now I got a phone call with an offer from company "B". I just interviewed with them on Monday. It's not a place that I see myself long-term, but hey it's a job. They are going to give me a $5,000 bonus in December if I accept the offer. Problem is I have to give them an answer tomorrow morning! Of course, I would be stupid to turn it down, but I kinda want to see how the other one pans out first.

To complicate it further, the offer is coming through an employment agency and not direct. (They are getting the bonus offer in writing.) I didn't tell them I have something else pending, because it's not like I have an offer from company "A".

Both jobs pay the same yearly salary, with the exception of the bonus from company "B".

Now what????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 06:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Been there, done that! Bird in hand is better than two in the bush! Accept B. If company A comes through, there is nothing stopping you from dropping B. Of course, you will be burning bridges with the recruiter, as well as the company, and giving up $5K. However, for me, $5K is not worth continuing to do a job which from the beginning you don't foresee yourself liking long-term. You've already made your mind up about that before you even begin, so your motivation level is not quite as high as the job you really like. My experience has taught me that the culture is more important than money, to a certain degree, and if you like your boss and the people you work with, you will be more motivated to excel. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 PM

Yes, I am definitely considering taking the offer. I would not usually feel bad about skipping out, but in the interview for company B, he really stressed wanting someone with loyalty and who would make a long term commitment. oops.

The company is small, only 6 people and it seemed really quiet and boring. I do better in environments where there is a lot going on, phone calls, people stopping by, and me generally doing 35 things at once. So, I pretty much know going in that's it's not going to be a good fit for me and that I will be moving on in a year or less.

But times are tough and I've been out of work for a while now and I don't have any other interviews at the moment, unless job A pans out. But seeing that I just interviewed today, it's too soon to tell.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 AM

UPDATE: So today I tell the employment agency that I will take the offer. I have one stipulation. I'm turning 30 on August 1st and my husband surprised me with a trip to Vegas Aug 4-8. So I don't want to start on Monday, work four days and then take the whole next week off. I told them my start date would be August 11th when I get back from my trip. That way, I can be fully focused on the job at hand.

So the agency freaks out. They are totally twisting my arm, they want me to just start on Monday and they've got 2 people calling me and trying to talk me into it. They refuse to go to the company and even ask the question if it's okay for me to start in two weeks instead of starting on Monday.

My thing is, #1 most candidates would have to give two weeks notice if they were employed, so this can't be that unusual of a request.

#2 the worst the company can do is say no. The agency is telling me that I'm going to lose the job. But in negotiating, they usually either agree or not. They don't EVER come back and say, well, the whole deal is off because you tried to negotiate.

People, I tell you that you cannot trust an employment agency to negotiate a deal for you. They simply don't have your interests at heart.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
UPDATE: So today I tell the employment agency that I will take the offer. I have one stipulation. I'm turning 30 on August 1st and my husband surprised me with a trip to Vegas Aug 4-8. So I don't want to start on Monday, work four days and then take the whole next week off. I told them my start date would be August 11th when I get back from my trip. That way, I can be fully focused on the job at hand.

So the agency freaks out. They are totally twisting my arm, they want me to just start on Monday and they've got 2 people calling me and trying to talk me into it. They refuse to go to the company and even ask the question if it's okay for me to start in two weeks instead of starting on Monday.

My thing is, #1 most candidates would have to give two weeks notice if they were employed, so this can't be that unusual of a request.

#2 the worst the company can do is say no. The agency is telling me that I'm going to lose the job. But in negotiating, they usually either agree or not. They don't EVER come back and say, well, the whole deal is off because you tried to negotiate.

People, I tell you that you cannot trust an employment agency to negotiate a deal for you. They simply don't have your interests at heart.
Temporary/employment agencies are a joke. They don't care about people. All they need is a body to fill a position the second they get it. Any other time they are lying saying they have positions when they don't just to justify their own jobs.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
Wise advice - legitimate recruiters do not work for the candidate, they work for the employer. The employer pays the recruiters fee. It is the candidates job to negotiate, the recruiter follows the leads and opens the door.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Insist they present the request to the prospective employer. If the prospective employer refuses well, you wouldn't want to work there anyway. Obviously family life is NOT a priority!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:35 PM

UPDATE: The agency did not present my request. Instead, they found someone else, sent her over to interview and closed the deal with that person this afternoon. My agency contact called me a few minutes past five to let me know that the position was filled by someone that just popped up last minute. Ha! I wouldn't play ball so they found someone else.

Turns out, the company was considering another candidate not represented by the agency. They were afraid if they tried to negotiate anything for me, he would pass and choose his person, and they would make zero commission.

You simply cannot negotiate when you work through an agency. I would suggest to anyone in this situation to do any negotiating during the interview! You will never have another opportunity later in the process.

The agency is not your friend, so beware. I didn't want the job badly enough, so I am not upset. But it was a HUGE waste of my valuable time.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
UPDATE: The agency did not present my request. Instead, they found someone else, sent her over to interview and closed the deal with that person this afternoon. My agency contact called me a few minutes past five to let me know that the position was filled by someone that just popped up last minute. Ha! I wouldn't play ball so they found someone else.

Turns out, the company was considering another candidate not represented by the agency. They were afraid if they tried to negotiate anything for me, he would pass and choose his person, and they would make zero commission.

You simply cannot negotiate when you work through an agency. I would suggest to anyone in this situation to do any negotiating during the interview! You will never have another opportunity later in the process.

The agency is not your friend, so beware. I didn't want the job badly enough, so I am not upset. But it was a HUGE waste of my valuable time.
Your experience is very true. But I say things happen for a reason so you never know, the other company may come through after all. I wish you best of luck with that. Also, had your hubby not planned that trip, you would have not seen the agency's true colors, you see? Things do happen for a reason!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Oh Sunny! What a raw deal you got! I know you really didn't want that job, but the shenanigan and shady dealings done behind your back was outrageous.

Well, go and enjoy your vacation, then! Would you be able to hear from Company A if they called? I didn't check your OP, but did you prepare to get a call while you're away? Perhaps this is the perfect opportunity to find out where you stand? If you called them and let them know that you will be away and that you want to provide them an alternate number to call (assuming that's what you want to do), it's a good segue to a follow-up on status, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment